Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girly hair nets student €3500

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Your question was:

Your answer is:

Why, if you're asking about hair, did you bring in Joe Stalin?:confused:
    The mind boggles. It truly does...

Somebody else started talking about Hitler,as well you know.
    YOU're the one who started talking about the need for genocide to stop people growing thier hair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭hello_there_jim

i was in first year when davis was in sixth year, the vice pricipals name was actually lil bruen, not mrs o brien, we only had her official retirement last friday beacuse she has cancer, pat gilmore left the principals job last november 12 months. they stopped telling peole to cut their hair around a year ago, theres a lad in 2nd year with longer hair than davids was and not a word is said to him, the rules state it has to be no longer than collar lengt, just like the skirts arent supposed to be above knee high, but they are!
    and the deputy principal telling him he had a girly hair cut, wasnt personal she was that kinfd of person to say something like that. onece last year, a lad in my year who does this "girl scream" he did it in class anyway and she came out and goes" WHO WAS THAT< I THOUGHT IT WAS A GIRL!" slow down microsoft sam to 1/5 and ull know what she speaks like!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,309 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Degsy wrote: »
    S
    YOU're the one who started talking about the need for genocide to stop people growing thier hair!

Where?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

By growing thier hair,yeah?

I'd say something nasty, but your symptoms evoke some vague feelings of compassion in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,366 ✭✭✭✭Victor

stovelid wrote: »
    But what about the fascist regimentation and suppression of your individuality?
    Piste has them all under her control. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

And what's next? Boys wearing skirts? A school has a certain right to discriminate based on gender. The ****er is lucky he didn't go to the Christian Brothers in their prime.

And what's next? Boys wearing skirts? A school has a certain right to discriminate based on gender. The ****er is lucky he didn't go to the Christian Brothers in their prime.

ALL kids are lucky they don't have to go to the "Christian" Brothers in their prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

I would just like to say in response to the OP, you "wanted" to work at the company.
    Students are forced to go to school as a legal requirement, and we cant exactly choose where we go to school in the way someone can choose where they work

Em ever been to scotland? a "skirt" is the traditional dress for a man, who is to say they shouldnt wear them because its girly.

And as for "a certain right* care to back this up? where is it stated that a school has the right to descriminate against anyone?

LOL to the christian brothers part XD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Ever heard of the term transgendered?

It's narrow minded people like you that let discrimination happen, the school does not have a right to discriminate that is most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

It amazes me that people are so hung up on an issue as trivial as the length of your hair.

I'm in 6th year at the moment and I had a very similar problem, although my principal liked to hang the fact that I had long hair and that he could use it against me, over my head should I ever cross him. I didn't bring in €20 for a school walk I haven't done since 2nd year and he literally said to me "It's payback time" when he had me in his office. He told me to get my hair cut or I wasn't allowed back into the school.

This twat was obviously in the wrong and I wanted to fight against his decision, which I had done in the past. I was allowed have my hair long just so long as it was tied back while I was there, which I did. But he just told me to get it cut or get out. I would have gotten out but it was (and still is) 6th year and my mam wouldn't support me on it and I ended up getting it trimmed because I just didn't want to deal with any more ****. It's growing back but it's something I always regret doing. Fair play to this lad for taking a stand. It's not as if he specifically asked for €3,500 in the case, it was awarded to him. All he wanted was equality.

Probably the most idiotic and narrow-minded post I've read all week. It's not as if lads wearing their hair long are cross dressers or something, you act as if long hair's been exclusive to females ever since time began. No school has the right to discriminate on anybody based on their gender, don't know where you're getting this ****e. ANYBODY is lucky they don't attend a school like the ones we had in this country decades ago. Absolute disgraces.

The last time I checked, Ireland's a democracy and equality's firmly embedded into our constitution. The length of my hair isn't a safety issue, it doesn't distract other people from their work and most importantly it doesn't distract me. The only person it seems to bother is the principal.

• Advertisement

The length of my hair isn't a safety issue.

your hair has never said hello to Mr. bunsen during chemistry has it?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Teutorix wrote: »

Thankfully I don't do chemistry! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Dress codes should be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

If you let your hair catch on fire in chemistry then it's your stupidity that is a safety issue more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I'm sorry but this is like what conservatives say when they bitch about how activists have no respect for their wishes, i.e. homophobia.

This is flat out sexism either way. Why should I consider you any better than a sexist if you're for implementing this policy? I don't have much respect for you.

Move on where exactly? Just accept you're forced into something?

It's not equally fair since it's discriminates against people who actually identify with that hair style/colouring as opposed to those who are not. Why do people not understand this.

This is wrong because it's sexist, but it's wrong because it's bigotted on other levels too.

I don't think it matters, really. Telling someone you're going to punch them if they do their thing before they do it doesn't make it an awful lot better. People need to get out of the mindset that rules are automatically right. It ruins online messageboards particularly, not just schools.

But if the majority of schools do, then you are essentially forced to. Why is this fair?

But any rules with regard appaerance and personal expression, you're automatically discriminating against certain people that are much more drawn to a certain appearance, or do not feel comfortable with what you'd call a "normal" appearance. Yes, there's some we can't avoid - maybe some people are more comfortable naked(though this could be a standard that changes in the future, you never know), but you can't hold it against simple things like hair, even unnatural hair colour.

You can't judge people by their appearance, but that's mostly because people are such **** awful judges. You can't make an absolutist division between personality and appearance with everyone.

I dislike people like you when you "rally" against rules because they're not applied fairly and evenly, as if you're giving yourself a little pat on the bat for only opposing them on issues of sexuality equality, and not going any further.

So in other words people should have to miss out on school because they don't agree with the policies? That sounds GREAT.

Uniforms only reinforce the "fitting in" mentality to begin with. It should be a school's duty to tackle issues like this instead of running away under the carpet like a scared child. Uniforms are a terrible alternative to tackling the real problem.

Generalisation, and "good" is subjective.

That's not a real decision. In fact, your reasoning is fallacious. It's a False Dichotomy since you're basically forcing people to go to school or not go to school.

Amongst your poor atempts at reason are also appeals to tradition and appeal to force.

Rozie? Is that you?

connundrum wrote: »
    The alternate would be let the schooling population and general workforce do as they please and never be questioned about it?

With regards to the workplace, the employer pays you and adequate wage for a service you provide in a manner which fits the company image - why should the company compromise? It is your choice as to whether you work for the company or not.

As a matter of interest, I'd like to know what people think is too long with regards to hair length for boys? Should there be any restriction on it at all?

What if the restriction was 9" in length - thats fairly long imo, but you can be guaranteed that there'd be another case like this where a boy reckons his 13" length hair should be accepted. You could take this further and further, and where does it stop?

It will stop when people give over with semantics and bureaucratic and rigid rules

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

And what's next? Boys wearing skirts? A school has a certain right to discriminate based on gender.
    Well I think some girls did get the "right" to wear trousers by claiming the same discrimination, so I expect in those schools boys could wear skirts, if they so wished. In most mixed schools the boys will wear trousers and the girls skirts, this is discrimination, but there is a rule in place for both. In this case there appears to be NO rule for girls hair.

That brings up a question, what if the boy had replied "yes, I do want to be a girl" or claimed to be homosexual. Maybe the headmaster would have backed down stumped at what to reply to that.

I got a blade 3 all over in school and was taken aside by a teacher asking what the hell did I think I was doing! every second lad has hair that short now!

It is a crazy rule, what if some headmaster decided all girls had to have skinheads, would people just accept that saying "well rules are rules, I have to wear a tie in work and don't like it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭L.R. Weizel

And what's next? Boys wearing skirts? A school has a certain right to discriminate based on gender.

Why? It's still sexism. Regardless of how ridiculous it is to you, yes, it is still technically sexist.
    Students are forced to go to school as a legal requirement, and we cant exactly choose where we go to school in the way someone can choose where they work

Exactly, but, it applies to work to since you generally take whatever job you can - and most workplaces are bound by the same kind of dress codes. There's a possibility you can find a more lenient one, but it's not much of an excuse since you have no direct control over where you work.

Exactly, but, it applies to work to since you generally take whatever job you can - and most workplaces are bound by the same kind of dress codes. There's a possibility you can find a more lenient one, but it's not much of an excuse since you have no direct control over where you work.
    yes but, you are paid for your work and part of the agreement between you and your employer is that you follow the rules of the workplace. Which is more than fair since he is the one paying you.

yes but, you are paid for your work and part of the agreement between you and your employer is that you follow the rules of the workplace. Which is more than fair since he is the one paying you.

True, but you (should) know this when signing your contract. Schoolkids don't get this option.

• Advertisement

True, but you (should) know this when signing your contract. Schoolkids don't get this option.
    thats the point i was trying to make :rolleyes:

Because they're schoolkids.
    They're completely incapable of making mature adult choices at that age.
    Thats why you have to be a certain age to buy cigarettes,alcohol or to marry.

If kids were allowed to do as they pleased they would do just that and in thier immaturity cause chaos.

Use your brain ffs.

thats the point i was trying to make :rolleyes:

Not the bit about kids not getting this option.
    Degsy wrote:
    Because they're schoolkids.
    They're completely incapable of making mature adult choices at that age.
    Thats why you have to be a certain age to buy cigarettes,alcohol or to marry.

If kids were allowed to do as they pleased they would do just that and in thier immaturity cause chaos.

Use your brain ffs.

Oh, you're back. And making stuff up again, I see.

If a Leaving Sert sutdent is "copletely incapable of making mature adult choices" something is DEFINITELY wrong with the education system.

If kids were allowed to do as they pleased, you're right - there would be chaos. The point we're trying to make and the point you continuously coose to miss is that kids should at least have a say in the matter.

"Use your brain"? This from a guy who can't read what is written in front of him...?

Not the bit about kids not getting this option.
    it was actually, i just didnt get my point accross at all apparently :pac:
    I was pointing out that a working person get the choice where a schoolkid doesnt.

ah just ignore me im being silly

If kids were allowed to do as they pleased, you're right - there would be chaos. The point we're trying to make and the point you continuously coose to miss is that kids should at least have a say in the matter.

Why should they in school?
    They're there a few hours a day to learn,to ready themselves for the real world.One of the things they will notice in the real world is that there are convetions that even adults have no say in.
    Schools are or should be,strict educational establishments with strict rules to create an environment that kids can learn in.If you let them have a say on certain matters the schools will lose discipline and will be impossible to run.
    A leaving cert kid thats so fabulously mature should also be mature enough to know that school is temporary (although its an essential institution)..they can grow thier hair long and stick bones through thier noses WHEN THEY LEAVE.

They're there a few hours a day to learn,to ready themselves for the real world.One of the things they will notice in the real world is that there are convetions that even adults have no say in.
    Schools are or should be,strict educational establishments with strict rules to create an environment that kids can learn in.If you let them have a say on certain matters the schools will lose discipline and will be impossible to run.
    A leaving cert kid thats so fabulously mature should also be mature enough to know that school is temporary (although its an essential institution)..they can grow thier hair long and stick bones through thier noses WHEN THEY LEAVE.

BUt when you are in adult in the real world you DO have a say!! Notice a bit of a gathering in Dublin today...?

I'm of the opinion you have no respect for kids, full stop. You've obviously got a completely groundless phobia about them having opinions. Or is it based on something you some kid of evidence that you may have read...

.... in books?

BUt when you are in adult in the real world you DO have a say!! Notice a bit of a gathering in Dublin today...?

I'm of the opinion you have no respect for kids, full stop. You've obviously got a completely groundless phobia about them having opinions. Or is it based on something you some kid of evidence that you may have read...

.... in books?
    Books printed by child slaves in china!

Books printed by child slaves in china!

Probably the only thing he reads:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭L.R. Weizel

Why can't they do it while they're there exactly? Maturity and not standing up for yourself are not the same thing. If anything I'd say they're the opposite. I like how schools would be impossible to run if they didn't enforce bigotry. What kind of person thinks this?

And of course most workplaces have fairly strict dress codes too. It'll be a lot harder to get a job with long hair. And you'd support this discrimination too, because you're honestly a pretty awful human being.

• Advertisement

BUt when you are in adult in the real world you DO have a say!!

As i've said.
    As a child you dont,your parents and teachers are there to help you become an adult.
    When you're in school,no matter what you might think as a pale-faced,greasy-haired know-all schoolkid-you're not considered an adult and dont get to make adult decisions.
    Where,Mr Liberal,do you think we should draw the line at where kids can make thier own decisions?
    Maybe get rid of schools alltogether coz kids should be allowed to decide if they want to go?

Advertisement