Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Of feral cats

Options
  • 17-02-2009 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I heard the "best" reason ever for not getting cats neutered.

"Well, if I paid for all three to be done, then they got run over on the road is would be a waste of money."

Lost for words...

This is a decent person, who has fed and cared for ferals for years; she knows all that come to her and clearly loves them.

We do not see her often as she is miles away - but her husband fixes our car.

Last winter we watched from her window as two feral kittens played; we just could not take them ourselves. Beautiful creatures. And she feeds them well.

We have been trying to persuade her to get them, and the mother cat, fixed before spring.

Here we have subsidised neutering; and they will lend humane traps out.

But there is little anyone can do with this attitude. ....

Today will call the pet rescue and see what more we can do on this.

Not giving up yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Unfortunately this is still a fairly common attitude.
    Spoke to a neighbour at the weekend, he was asking had I seen his cat. Told me it goes off for few days at a time, not been well recently and isn't neutered. I suggested getting him fixed might stop the wandering and was told that at 3yrs old it wasn't worth it as he was too old and probably wouldn't live much longer.
    What can you say to that, I've heard it many times. Some people are shocked that almost all our cats lived between 15-22 years, many don't believe me.
    I'm not involved with rescuing animals just a pet owner who loves animals,
    Sometimes you can (and i have) persuade people, you can't win every battle but don't stop trying.
    Best of luck.

Advertisement