Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fedor to meet UFC

Options
  • 17-02-2009 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

Dont know whether to put any faith in this or not. Although, Dana did say in a recent interview that he had never met Fedor, despite years of negotiations so maybe this is progress.

In a new interview with Adam Baker of DreamFighters.com, WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko reportedly stated that a meeting with UFC President Dana White is on the horizon.

“… Me and my management hope to get a chance to talk to Dana White in person in June to discuss a possible fight between me and Brock,” Emelianenko is quoted by DreamFighters.com.

Emelianenko competed last month during Affliction and M-1’s “Day of Reckoning” event in Anaheim, Calif. Headlining against Andrei Arlovski, Fedor recorded a first round knockout against the former UFC heavyweight champion.

Despite the quote attributed to Emelianenko, he still has one fight remaining on his current contract with Affliction. In order for Emelianenko to fight Lesnar before his contract expires, Affliction would have to consent and would likely asked to be involved as a co-promoter.

Even if Emelianenko becomes a free agent, M-1 Global still holds his promotional rights and the UFC would have to meet their demands in order to sign a match between Fedor and Lesnar. Since M-1 holds his promotional rights, they would likely desire a co-promotional arrangement as well. The UFC has typically shunned such arrangements in the past.

While attempts to bring Fedor to the UFC have not been fruitful in the past, there is always the possibility of a compromise. Despite having been publicly critical of Fedor in the past, White has expressed a more favorable opinion of the former PRIDE heavyweight champion in recent interviews.

“You can just tell when you see this guy — I will tell you, he’s a bad mother[expletive]. You can just tell by looking at him,” White said two weeks ago in an interview on “The Bubba the Love Sponge Show” on Sirius Satellite Radio.

“He’s been considered one of the best in the world for a long time,” White later added. “I’d put him in there against whoever’s the top guy at that time. I’d put him in against whoever the top guy is… There’s a lot of possibilities for Fedor.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

As soon as you say "co-promotion" I think Dana is gonna run a mile but he's obviously dying to put something together with Fedor in the UFC so fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

im probably the only person who would hate to see Fedor in the UFC.

Or am i a snob for thinking he shouldnt dirty his feet in the octagon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I just don't see it ever happening. His management and M-1 are way too intractable about the whole co-promotion thing. The simply fact of the matter is that nobody has anything to offer the UFC from a promotional side of things.

They don't need anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

There is a chance that the UFC may soften its stance on co-promotions, for the same reason its unlikely to counter-programme Strikforce. Apparently, the UFC are concerned about potential political pressure, if they are seen to have a monopoly on the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Dragan wrote: »
    I just don't see it ever happening. His management and M-1 are way too intractable about the whole co-promotion thing. The simply fact of the matter is that nobody has anything to offer the UFC from a promotional side of things.

They don't need anybody.

Apparently the management team is the problem. Technichally Dana's never met with Fedor but he's spoken to his management a good few times and considers them absolute idiots and is extremely reluctant to do business with them. If he dropped them I'd say you'd see him there soon enough. Dana's stance towards Fedor has definitely softened recently. After the BJ GSP fight he admitted he'd consider Fedor top 5 pound for pound which is quite a change in his position

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

dunkamania wrote: »
    There is a chance that the UFC may soften its stance on co-promotions

Minuscule if it exists at all.
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Dana's stance towards Fedor has definitely softened recently. After the BJ GSP fight he admitted he'd consider Fedor top 5 pound for pound which is quite a change in his position

Not to mention Fedor's name being dropped on UFC television recently.

They kinda have to acknowledge Fedor since he annihalated Sylvia and KO's AA, both of whom were dominant HW's for the UFC.

I don't believe anyone in their right mind believes that UFC have a HW who could beat Fedor more than 1 time out of 10 attempts so they kinda have no choice. Plus, they know that whether or not they mention him at this stage is highly unlikely to affect their PPV buys sicne they have such a huge market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Apparently the management team is the problem. Technichally Dana's never met with Fedor but he's spoken to his management a good few times and considers them absolute idiots and is extremely reluctant to do business with them. If he dropped them I'd say you'd see him there soon enough. Dana's stance towards Fedor has definitely softened recently. After the BJ GSP fight he admitted he'd consider Fedor top 5 pound for pound which is quite a change in his position

Fedor will never drop his management team.
    Not in a million years.
    Finklestein is like a father to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Not in a million years.

That's why I said if he did he'd be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

If Fedor beleives there is noone worth fighting outside the UFC (after he rematches AA, fights Barnett, fights one or two other names (Overeem for example if he doesn't get picked up by UFC) and he still wants to fight,he will fight in the UFC.

Before then if the numbers are right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

calex71 wrote: »
    im probably the only person who would hate to see Fedor in the UFC.

Or am i a snob for thinking he shouldnt dirty his feet in the octagon :D

I would feel the same. Once he fights Barnett i think Overeem would be the next worthy candidate, then a rematch with the pitbull. By the time all that happens it could be two years away and what age will he be then? He's coming to the end of his career and the last thing I want to see is an aging Fedor beaten by anyone in the octagan. He's got nothing to prove as he was king in Pride when it pissed all over the ufc's heavyweight division. UFC is truning into the WWE with freaks like Lesnar who will always be 30-40 pounds heavier than his opponents.

You've got nothing to prove Fedor. Stay away from the poisin that is Dana White.

Not in a million years.

If he does drop them they would probably have Fedor killed. :eek:
    Kazooie wrote: »
    IUFC is truning into the WWE with freaks like Lesnar who will always be 30-40 pounds heavier than his opponents.

You mean turning into PRIDE right?

rovert wrote: »
    You mean turning into PRIDE right?

:D lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Fair point. Forgot how the Japanese were mad for their David v Goliath battlesas well :D

Still don't think Fedor has anything to prove by fighting in the ufc. Not sayin I wouldn't watch but I'd hate to see his reputation tarnished like say how Gracies was (somewhat) when he came back to fight Hughes.

Still don't think Fedor has anything to prove by fighting in the ufc. Not sayin I wouldn't watch but I'd hate to see his reputation tarnished like say how Gracies was (somewhat) when he came back to fight Hughes.

Difference is that the Gracie's reputation was part Wrestlingesque myth Fedor's isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

I just like to see the best fights. For Fedor, I think the best fights left for him are in the UFC (particularly considering he may not have too many fighting years left).

IMO, AA won't beat Fedor in a rematch, Bartnett won't be able for him either and Overeem can wait. I wanna see Fedor take on Brock, Mir, Couture, Nog......but that's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

I just like to see the best fights. For Fedor, I think the best fights left for him are in the UFC (particularly considering he may not have too many fighting years left).

IMO, AA won't beat Fedor in a rematch, Bartnett won't be able for him either and Overeem can wait. I wanna see Fedor take on Brock, Mir, Couture, Nog......but that's me.

Have to agree with the above would like to see Fedor still in his prime fight in the UFC oh & knock Brock out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Not a great time to join if he does,he will destroy Brock and I cant see any other Heavyweight beating him.

Wexler12 wrote: »
    Not a great time to join if he does,he will destroy Brock and I cant see any other Heavyweight beating him.

I think Brock would present more problems for Fedor than you seem to give him credit for. Im not saying Brock could or will ever beat Fedor but Brock presents some unique problems for Fedor. The timing of the fight could be key as the trajectory of Brock's abilites could possibly surpass Fedor's. Of course thats IF (and it is a IF) Fedors abilites decline in the period between now and when the fight happens if does actually happen. Enough qualifers for ya? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

It will happen alright, sooner or later. He needs to be in the UFC anyway. Give him Cheick kongo to start off with.
    I believe we will also see Alistair Overeem in the UFC before UFC 100 so should be one to watch out for

• Advertisement

Tones69 wrote: »
    It will happen alright, sooner or later. He needs to be in the UFC anyway. Give him Cheick kongo to start off with.

Well it would at the very least answer the what if question.
    I believe we will also see Alistair Overeem in the UFC before UFC 100 so should be one to watch out for

I dont think so. He needs to pass a drug test first. Dave Meltzer said he failed preliminary drug testing badly the week before UFC 93. Which shouldn’t come as a huge surprise to anyone who saw him in person in Dublin. Depending what he failed for he would have to wait months and months for the stuff to work its way out of his system. Then after that you have the question of what a unenhanced Overeem actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Well it would at the very least answer the what if question.

I dont think so. He needs to pass a drug test first. Dave Meltzer said he failed preliminary drug testing badly the week before UFC 93. Which shouldn’t come as a huge surprise to anyone who saw him in person in Dublin. Depending what he failed for he would have to wait months and months for the stuff to work its way out of his system. Then after that you have the question of what a unenhanced Overeem actually is.

Yeh i agree but hes known for a while now that UFC are interested so basically he will be off any "performance enhancers" hes taking so within 2-3months he will totally clean or should be anyway so then we shall see, i still reckon we are gonna see him by UFC 100 ;)

Yeh i agree but hes known for a while now that UFC are interested so basically he will be off any "performance enhancers" hes taking so within 2-3months he will totally clean or should be anyway so then we shall see, i still reckon we are gonna see him by UFC 100 ;)

Some drugs stay the system for longer than 2-3 months tho. But again I dont know what he failed for.

Dana has said that if he gets Fedor, he will be going straight in against the ufc champion, whoever that might be.

I would like to see Brock fight Fedor, I think it would be an interesting match-up, and by no means a foregone conclusion

I would love to see him face Overeem, but with overeem in dubin @ 93?

Isnt he still elitexc champ , was his contract bought out by strikeforce in that move???

Isnt he still elitexc champ , was his contract bought out by strikeforce in that move???

Im about to download a subscription audio show that will address this question with Overeem. :)

Just listened to an interview with him he has two fights left under his DREAM contract. He is primarily talking with UFC along with talking to every other major fight organisation. In addition to sitting on his hole playing Gears of War 2. :pac:

sitting on his hole playing Gears of War 2. :pac:

Explains his extra bulk in recent fights :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

UFC is truning into the WWE with freaks like Lesnar who will always be 30-40 pounds heavier than his opponents.

:rolleyes: WTF are you talking about? Elaborate, please. Lesnar and who else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Big Wave wrote: »
    :rolleyes: WTF are you talking about? Elaborate, please. Lesnar and who else?

Maybe Tim Sylvia back in the day. Funny how no one complained about his weight back then. Also how no one complains about a guy like Thiago Alves who always outweighs his opponents. He's just applauded for his ability to cut weight

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement