Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns in the home ????

Options
  • 17-02-2009 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

After what happened in Turloughmore at the weekend, reports on the radio this morning of a girl out cleaning the windows of her house yesterday in Corrundulla, a stranger came into the house, dragged her inside and raped her.
    She rang partner, who with a few friends, found the bloke and beat him to a whisker of his death.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

And you want guns now?
    Links to the crime?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

alibabba wrote: »
    After what happened in Turloughmore at the weekend, reports on the radio this morning of a girl out cleaning the windows of her house yesterday in Corrundulla, a stranger came into the house, dragged her inside and raped her.
    She rang partner, who with a few friends, found the bloke and beat him to a whisker of his death.

So what's your point then?

That we should be allowed to have guns in our homes so that yer man would have been killed rather than beaten or what?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Das Kitty wrote: »

That we should be allowed to have guns in our homes so that yer man would have been killed rather than beaten or what?

What do we do to protect ourselves from b**tards like this ?

We are allowed to have guns in our homes you just have to get a license and its not a problem if you live out the country.

I wouldnt have a problem having a few shots at the man in question if the story is true or the men who robbed the house in turloghmore. Tying up small children, well I wouldnt think twice about letting them have it.

Criminals get too much respect in this country, they are dirt and should be treated as such.

There's a bloody Judicial system in this country for a reason you know.

Who's to say that yer wan wasn't just making it up? Not saying she is but without going through the proper channels of the law it's quite possible yer man was beaten to a bloody pulp for no reason, and in your scenario, he'd be dead.

There is no evidence that having a gun in the house would lessen crimes committed but there's plenty of evidence saying that there's a greater chance a family member will be killed by the bloody thing.

I seriously don't understand how people still assign credence to the notion of the lynch mob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There's a bloody Judicial system in this country for a reason you know.

Unless that reason is to unrape people somehow then its not addressing the issue at hand..

I have looked in the online papers and there is no mention of this crime that I could find. In a place like Galway this would be news.
    Link to crime = thread reopened.

Edit: thread opened again after a bit of a think to see if we can have a good discussion anyway. Although it'd probably be better off in Humanities, the Turloughmore attack was here (well, in county) and I'm sure people are worried. Still waiting for confirmation about the alleged rape and beating if anyone has seen or heard anything.

Oh, and please have linky backup for any claims about travellers/ foreigners/ blow-ins/ whatnot committing crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭kf1920

I heard about the Corrundulla attack, but am trying to find something online and i can't. I'm up in Dublin, but from the area, and i heard there was a lot of gardaí activity there last night because of it.

As for the Turloughmore incident, Hopefully they'll catch the others

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Gun's are handy to have about the house once they don't fall into the wrong hands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

biko wrote: »
    I have looked in the online papers and there is no mention of this crime that I could find. In a place like Galway this would be news.
    Link to crime = thread reopened.

Edit: thread opened again after a bit of a think to see if we can have a good discussion anyway. Although it'd probably be better off in Humanities, the Turloughmore attack was here (well, in county) and I'm sure people are worried. Still waiting for confirmation about the alleged rape and beating if anyone has seen or heard anything.

Oh, and please have linky backup for any claims about travellers/ foreigners/ blow-ins/ whatnot committing crimes.

My Mum works with a woman who lives next door to the crime scene.

• Advertisement

Who's to say that yer wan wasn't just making it up? Not saying she is but without going through the proper channels of the law it's quite possible yer man was beaten to a bloody pulp for no reason, and in your scenario, he'd be dead.

Erm, no.

If she had a gun, but she made the story up, well, eh, the criminal wouldn't have been there in the first place, hence wouldn't have been shot hence wouldn't be dead

Zing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I live in corrandulla and haven't heard this yet. Granted I'm in work and haven't been talkin to anyone but should do when I get home if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ok, from the details the OP mentioned. The guy was beaten *after* the rape.
    If the woman was surprised and dragged inside, then she likely had no time to go get a gun (which, if kids in the house, wouldn't be stored loaded anyway).

Having a gun wouldn't necessarily have helped the woman at all, in fact, it could have added murder to the original crime if the intruder wrestled the gun off her. All it would have done let the people who came kill him in one shot instead of beating the living daylights out of him. I imagine he'll remember the beating in jail. Sentencing in this country needs to be harsher for violent sexual crimes thouugh, it seems to take 3 strikes before they're taken seriously:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Gun's are handy to have about the house once they don't fall into the wrong hands
    If someone want to kill, he will kill with a hands, knife or any other method. Guns don't increase crimes.

85% of victims killed by guns are members of family or friends of the killer. Very similar statistics accord to all other killing crimes.

The problem in Ireland is not no right to carry a gun, but sick mentality of the government who refuse to give people right to protect themselves (no teasers, gas, no nothing).

"Call the cops" the say.

I wonder if they'd say the same if they saw a killer with ax in his hands in the house, right in the front of them and their family.

A problem is that an defensive weapon can easily be turned into an offensive weapon.

If you have a gun in the house it'll be your first tool of choice if you want to dissuade an intruder, therefore escalating the initial level of violence.

Also a gun can be taken from you in a confrontation and this will increase the likelihood of using it before that can happen, "shoot first and ask questions later" mentality.

The two above is the reason family members get shot. If you walk downstairs carrying a baseball bat or a knife you're less likely to kill someone you love. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

alibabba wrote: »
    What do we do to protect ourselves from b**tards like this ?
    Close the front door?

=-=

If I walked into someones house, took their gun, shot them, and walked away, who'd know, if the house was isolated? If she had the gun, and the dude was an ESB meter reader, what's the chances of him not getting shot when he walks up the driveway?

A problem is that an defensive weapon can easily be turned into an offensive weapon.

If you have a gun in the house it'll be your first tool of choice if you want to dissuade an intruder, therefore escalating the initial level of violence.

Also a gun can be taken from you in a confrontation and this will increase the likelihood of using it before that can happen, "shoot first and ask questions later" mentality.

The two above is the reason family members get shot. If you walk downstairs carrying a baseball bat or a knife you're less likely to kill someone you love. In my opinion.
    OK, you can lose your weapon etc, but it's to make you equal to your offender in the confrontation. But let's calculate it...

You don't have any weapon, offender doesn't have any too - small chances to win, criminals don't care about your health and life, you do.

You don't have any weapon, offender has one - no chance at all

You have a weapon, he doesn't - he has no chance

You have a weapon, and he does - equal chance

Remember that if weapon is illegal (I'm not saying about the gun, but ANY weapon), only criminals will have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Remind me again which country spouts the most nonsense about having a gun in the house to protect yourself!

Gun deaths per 100,000 population (for the year indicated):

Homicide

USA (2001) 3.98
    Italy (1997) 0.81
    Canada (2002) 0.4
    Finland (2003) 0.35
    Australia (2001) 0.24
    France (2001) 0.21
    England/Wales (2002) 0.15
    Scotland (2002) 0.06
    Japan (2002) 0.02

Thats why we shouldnt have guns!

Webbs wrote: »
    Remind me again which country spouts the most nonsense about having a gun in the house to protect yourself!

Homicide

USA (2001) 3.98
    Italy (1997) 0.81
    Canada (2002) 0.4
    Finland (2003) 0.35
    Australia (2001) 0.24
    France (2001) 0.21
    Scotland (2002) 0.06
    Japan (2002) 0.02

Why do people on here appear to think guns are illegal.

As I said before it not very difficult to get a gun license. A lot of people I know have guns(most are farms though) but not just shotguns, rifles with telescopic sights and a cross bow(licensed). My grandad always used to have two shotguns as well.

Homicide

USA (2001) 3.98
    Italy (1997) 0.81
    Canada (2002) 0.4
    Finland (2003) 0.35
    Australia (2001) 0.24
    France (2001) 0.21
    Scotland (2002) 0.06
    Japan (2002) 0.02

You forgot to mention that there's less crimes with use of knife in the places that give you the right to carry a gun.

It's about mentality. We, Europeans are civilized people. Look at Finland (32% have a gun) or Switzerland where gun owning is easy and popular and then look at the crime rates there.

Your argument doesn't work to me.

• Advertisement

WooPeeA wrote: »
    You forgot to mention that there's less crimes with use of knife in the places that gives you the right to carry a gun.

Look at Finland (32% have a gun) or Switzerland where gun owning is easy and popular and then look at the crime rates there.

Your argument doesn't work to me.

Oh so thats ok then that we get shot to do death rather than stabbed.

Gun ownership in Switzerland is high because they have National service and you take your gun home with you, strange but there you go! The Swiss psyche is very different from most other countries so they are a bit of an anomaly

Why do people on here appear to think guns are illegal.

As I said before it not very difficult to get a gun license. A lot of people I know have guns(most are farms though) but not just shotguns, rifles with telescopic sights and a cross bow(licensed). My grandad always used to have two shotguns as well.

I didnt say that guns were illegal, getting a gun (shotgun etc) isnt difficult in lots of countries as long as you apply through the guards and usual;y have to give a genuine reason (sporting, vermin control etc).

I dont think there is anything wrong with gun ownership as it stands, but the thought of easy availability of guns to the general population like in the US is just wrong.

This whole lynch mob, shoot to protect my property thing is a frightening right wing reactionary stance

Oh so thats ok then that we get shot to do death rather than stabbed.
    Is it not the same? In my opinion it's even less brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

In no western country are guns less regulated than in the US.

I don't see it as helping their crime rate, particularly.

85% of victims killed by guns are members of family or friends of the killer. Very similar statistics accord to all other killing crimes.

And those similar statistics are??

Any source?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Erm, no.

If she had a gun, but she made the story up, well, eh, the criminal wouldn't have been there in the first place, hence wouldn't have been shot hence wouldn't be dead

Zing :pac:

So you mean that someone being somewhere means that they're going to rape someone?

This could be useful in my research into an anti-chugger device...

So you mean that someone being somewhere means that they're going to rape someone?

This could be useful in my research into an anti-chugger device...

No problem. My consultancy fee is €10,000 though - Pay up :pac:

OK, you can lose your weapon etc, but it's to make you equal to your offender in the confrontation. But let's calculate it...

You don't have any weapon, offender doesn't have any too - small chances to win, criminals don't care about your health and life, you do.

You don't have any weapon, offender has one - no chance at all

You have a weapon, he doesn't - he has no chance

Remember that if weapon is illegal (I'm not saying about the gun, but ANY weapon), only criminals will have one.

So think about it from an offenders point of view. If they think that there is a likelihood that there will be a gun in the house/premises then they will make sure they are carrying a gun 'just in case', this tit for tat escalation just doesnt work, where does it end? It will end up with moving from shotguns to semi automatic to automatic weapons just like the US

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If you have a gun in the house it'll be your first tool of choice if you want to dissuade an intruder

Flawless logic, bravo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Only if you and s/he are equally skilled at using that weapon,and you keep it in an equal state of readiness.

Keeping a loaded gun in an accessible place in a house with children or anyone with a mental illness (1 in 4 at some time in their lives) or intellectual disability would cause far more injuries than crime does.

Also, I'd hazard guess that your average householder is less skilled with pretty much any weapon (gun, knife, whatever) than your average criminal. Especially the ones who've been to criminal-university (aka prison), so had lots of free time to pick up handy tips.

Advertisement