Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bill Doyle Retrospective

• 17-02-2009 10:29am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The main corridor at Tallaght Hospital has spaces to display Art. The display seems to change twice a year. Yesterday a new display was installed. It is a selection of prints from the Bill Doyle Retrospective which have been superbly printed by Hetty Walsh

I know this is a weird thing to say, but if you are near the Tallaght Hospital it's worth dropping in to see these images.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have just walked down & counted them, there are 20 images on display. The printing is superb, hand printed in the dark room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Work next door will drop by tomorrow and check them out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I saw these in the Gallery Of Photography, brilliant and iconic, I particularily loved the boys near Fitzwilliam Sq with the carcass of a VW Beetle on a Horse and cart.

Or the Punks in the Archway into temple bar by the hal'penny bridge.

Well worth a trip to Tallaght to see and Hetty's gold toning of the prints is fantastic. Great lesson in why Film and Fibre still rocks for richness of tone.

(saying no more unless I get branded as being from the Evil Axis of Analog) by the "G. W. Digital" brigade out there :p {G.W. isn't George W but Go With-- hee heee

The book of these prints is still in thr Gallery of Photography, I actually think it is on sale.....

Enough rambling for now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The book is available for €20 I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

CabanSail wrote: »

a Bargain if ever ...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

CabanSail wrote: »

thanks for the heads up Caban - bill doyle is one of my favorite irish photographers -

After seeing a recent documentary on him & now seeing these prints, he has become one of my favourites too.

There is one image that I am quite taken by. It's a cloaked figure sitting on a pew in a church. Apparently Bill went in to say a prayer & saw this woman & the way the light was falling on her. He wished he had a camera with him, so he hurried home & got it. When he returned she was still in the same position & he got the shot.

I can see where €20 of mine will be invested shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

went to this yesterday, even in a manic hospital it was wondefull - made me think why he didn't get into Magnum ? certainly deserves it !!
    I believe he still enjoys a pint in town !
    anyway , thanks Caban

It is weird looking at a Photography Exhibition in a busy hospital.

Advertisement