Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The End of Nine Inch Nails

• 17-02-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

http://www.nin.com

One last tour with Jane's Addiction and then that might be it. I really hope they do a headlining Irish show. There's been none since 1994 ('96?), just the date supporting Foo Fighters in the past year or two.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

well that sucks. Trent's doom music is even more relevant now in this gloomy times. Especially Year Zero, one of the best political rock albums of this decade imo, he actually had intelligent things to say beyond rhyming occupation with united nations like Travis did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Have known that this was gonna happen for a good while now, since well before Christmas. It really is a kick in the teeth, really hope they won't be in Europe till later in the year, as in after summer, so I can see them. Unles sof course they hit Australia again when I'm there, which would be very cool.

AFAIK, they doing the US around April/May, and won't be around Europe direction till August earliest omwards. But that may change, but heres hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I'd love to get a Nine Inch Nails headline gig, seen them only at festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

I saw em in Melbourne two years ago, absolutely fantastic. I need to see them one more time though, hopefully they'll play Ireland but if not, a trip to the UK could be on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Typical. im just getting into them. Whats their best album? Im listening to With Teeth at moment and im really liking it. Its the only album I have so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Neo# wrote: »
    Typical. im just getting into them. Whats their best album? Im listening to With Teeth at moment and im really liking it. Its the only album I have so far.

Thats probably their weakest album in my opinion (and its still a very good album - just shows you how incredible NIN are). Each album has something different - I mean, Ghosts is 36 instrumental tracks for crying out loud!Personally I would have to say The Downward Spiral is the best, some really iconic songs on that. Also check out Saul Williams album, The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust - produced by Trent so has a very NIN sound to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Neo# wrote: »

Get The Downward Spiral, and then Pretty Hate Machine.
    If you're pushed for time, Broken is worth checking out too.

Just steer well clear from Ghosts and Fixed.

Devious wrote: »
    Ghosts is 36 instrumental tracks for crying out loud!

Trent either had a lot of balls or zero brains releasing that under the NIN name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Trent either had a lot of balls or zero brains releasing that under the NIN name.

It was free though, i wouldn't have expected too much....

I'd say he has brains a plently too, can't comment on the balls though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Ghosts is one of the best things he's done, certainly a million times better than With Teeth, Year Zero, The Slip and I'd even class it higher than Pretty Hate Machine which I find hard to listen to anymore.

For sure, the angry early stuff like Broken and The Downward Spiral (as well as the Further Down the Spiral remix/alt version CDs) is essential. The Fragile is completely different but just as stunning. The live album And All That Could Have Been acts as a decent intro to his back catalogue (but the live versions of Pretty Hate Machine era songs tend to kick the original studio versions' asses).

• Advertisement

And come to think of it, Fixed wasn't bad either. The remix by Foetus is savage.

It was free though, i wouldn't have expected too much....

No it wasn't, one of the four discs were free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

John wrote: »
    Ghosts is one of the best things he's done, certainly a million times better than With Teeth, Year Zero, The Slip and I'd even class it higher than Pretty Hate Machine which I find hard to listen to anymore.

For sure, the angry early stuff like Broken and The Downward Spiral (as well as the Further Down the Spiral remix/alt version CDs) is essential. The Fragile is completely different but just as stunning. The live album And All That Could Have Been acts as a decent intro to his back catalogue (but the live versions of Pretty Hate Machine era songs tend to kick the original studio versions' asses).

I pretty much agree with everything said here - Ghosts is fantastic.

John wrote: »
    Ghosts is one of the best things he's done,

Please do not get me wrong, I am not disputing it as an album, i'm just saying it would have worked better as a solo name effort or a different working name. I'm just questioning the logic of putting it out under Nine Inch Nails name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

My mistake! i don't have it myself, just going on what i was told (obviously wrongly!) :)

My mistake! i don't have it myself, just going on what i was told (obviously wrongly!) :)

I think there were 3 versions or something, not including digital or vinyl release.

The one disc, with the first 9 tracks
    The two disc one with all of the tracks
    And a 4 disc, which was two cd's, a data disc with had the tracks for editing, and a blu-ray.

Please do not get me wrong, I am not disputing it as an album, i'm just saying it would have worked better as a solo name effort or a different working name. I'm just questioning the logic of putting it out under Nine Inch Nails name.

Because essentially all NIN is Reznor's solo work. Previous NIN albums have charted similar territory to Ghosts (the Quake soundtrack, parts of The Fragile and Still) and I really don't hear anything there that doesn't sound like NIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'm just questioning the logic of putting it out under Nine Inch Nails name.

He could keep making the same music and just release it under a different name. No need to get upset, NIN is just Reznor, and unless he is retiring from the music industry then there is no reason to think he won't continue with music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I could never really get into NIN and I did try but Jesus I would love to see Janes Addiction here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

He could keep making the same music and just release it under a different name. No need to get upset, NIN is just Reznor, and unless he is retiring from the music industry then there is no reason to think he won't continue with music

Exactly.NIN will never die...just a little rebranding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

The thread title is wholesomely inaccurate. To quote the NIN.com front page:

"I've been thinking for some time now it's time to make NIN disappear for a while."

This is not the end of NIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Really annoyed at what they've been announced for......looks like it will be off to another country to see them instead of going to see them here at THAT thing.

Only gotten into them in recent months. So don't want to miss them and then they don't tour for years!

Beekay wrote: »
    Really annoyed at what they've been announced for......looks like it will be off to another country to see them instead of going to see them here at THAT thing.

Only gotten into them in recent months. So don't want to miss them and then they don't tour for years!

What? They've just started announcing dates for the Janes Addiction tour, and still have roughly a month of dates to add. That'll take them into July(very early). They are strongly tipped for Sonipshere, which they might do, but they playing Summersonic in Japan at start of August too. With a break in between, it doesn't leave proper space for Europe tour, and so will be Europe bound in September/October:D

EDIT: Just noticed....WHAT?:eek:

Apparently he hates Ireland.

Check out this for primadonna antics,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUSIC5nl3Vg

ah no, he's got a right to be angry, I know the experience of playing and some sh1tty incompetent person fecking things up, but it is funny to watch

still I'd be a bit miffed if I was in the audience

ah no, he's got a right to be angry, I know the experience of playing and some sh1tty incompetent person fecking things up, but it is funny to watch

So why will he be doing festivals now on their possibly last tour of Europe? Or does it mean they will come back to Europe later in year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Ugh. 2nd year in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Wasnt it released under a creative commons license? So you can get it for free anyway.

I bought it, shipping cost 3 times as much as the CD itself!

Thought it was amazing.
    The one disc, with the first 9 tracks
    The two disc one with all of the tracks
    And a 4 disc, which was two cd's, a data disc with had the tracks for editing, and a blu-ray.

The super ridiculous special edition had 2 extra tracks, that the normal $5 version didnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Do they smash up their instruments at every gig? I remember going to see them in the SFX in 1994 and they were smashing up the keyboards and stuff..

I don't know but I hear Trent was mental in those days

Here's some more antics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0LXZ1nnpzs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

ARGH theyre playing at Sonisphere! No real Irish date, not fair!

NIN at the O2! Why cant it happen?

Advertisement