Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning the sex of the baby...

• 17-02-2009 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi, I was wondering what people's opinions are on learning the sex of the baby, did you find out early or is it better to wait till he/she comes out and the doctor tells you.

I'm wondering as we were told that at the next scan (20weeks:D) which is next week that we could find out the sex of the baby if we wanted to, my OH is excited about knowing and I think she really wants to find out but I'm not so sure. I guess I'd kinda like to wait and see and have a nice surprise at the end. Has anyone here wished they'd waited or preferred to know early on?

Any opinions appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 fashionista!

I can't wait to find out!! I've convinced myself it's as girl, as has hubby! So want to know for sure as soon as I can!

We're not going to tell anyone though, just keep it our own secret and surprise everyone when he/she is born!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

We found out on our last son and on this little guy.

I love knowing, I also think it is a very personal choice so only ask if you really want to know.

I have heard people say that it takes away the surprise at the end, but, the way I see it is you get the fantastic surprise in the middle of your pregnancy.

Go with your gut on it.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

We didn't find out on either of our two, DD and DS, although the bump for the second pregnancy (DS) looked completely different in shape to the first.

It's your decision really to find out or not, you hear quite often that sometimes the medical personnel get the sex wrong or where baby is not cooperating on the day of the scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll just wait and see how I feel on the day. Plus she'll prob just coerce me into finding out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I found out when the mid wife handed her to me to check:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭VeryBerry

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I found out when the mid wife handed her to me to check:)

That's how I plan on doing it too! We don't want to find out the sex. I think its one of lifes great surprises, and once babs is ok, we don't mind either way.

I'm absolutely convinced its a boy though. I don't know why. Irrational pregnant women thought! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

I would definitely want to know! (Although I'm not pregnant ... yet! :D) I've always imagined having a girl first, and although I'd be just as excited about a boy, I'd like to have a few months to get my head around the idea, rather than letting post-natal hormones warp my mind into being disappointed with a boy.

And yes yes of course the most important thing is that the baby is healthy, of course!

I'm feeling broody now ... must leave this forum!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

We're both mad to find out and although I don't know if we'll be telling anyone else we both feel knowing will help us bond better with it.
    To be fair we are both convinced its a boy though and are only sort of awaiting confirmation. :D, either will be just as welcome though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

On the 1st i knew it was a boy on the 2nd i asked and was told and on the 3rd i didnt.Its really up to yourself.:DJust go with the flow and if you feel like knowing they will tell you,but they also say we could be wrong lol.Just to cover their own backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

One of my best friends decided not to be told until the baby was born. Not sure if his wife did the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

we found out at the 24 week scan as we really really wanted to know.

At the scan I just said zoom in there and tell me..

My son is due to be born 1st may 09 please god.

Nobody knows the sex only us so say nowt:)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

I had my daughter in september 2002 and we didn't find out the sex before hand. She was a lovely surprise :)
    Due another baby girl 13th June 2009 please god, and can't wait.
    Had my surprise with my first so said we would find out this time and we are both delighted we did, my daughter is delighted to be getting a baby sister!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I was fully convinced from very early on in the pregnancy that I was having a girl, just had girl feelings. Very hard to explain but I just sort of knew.

Of course, me being as impatient as I am, we had a 4D scan at 26 weeks with the sole intention of finding out the sex once and for all. OH was convinced it was a boy, I kept telling him he was wrong.... we had that scan purely for the gender determination.

Lo and behold, it was a girl. I just knew, I was 100% sure it was a girl and no matter how many people said I looked like I was carrying a boy (?!), I just knew. Never once considered boys names for the whole pregnancy.

I love being right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Popel

I had my daughter in september 2002 and we didn't find out the sex before hand. She was a lovely surprise :)
    Due another baby girl 13th June 2009 please god, and can't wait.
    Had my surprise with my first so said we would find out this time and we are both delighted we did, my daughter is delighted to be getting a baby sister!!!

almost-snap!!

We´re due a bouncing baby girl on 12th June 2009, and are very happy to have found out, even though it was still a big shock. Now we can strike off the troublesome boys-names list and concentrate on the little girl we´ll get to meet soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

I was adamant all along that I didn't want to find out, but my hubby did. He left the decision up to me though, if I wanted to find out we would and if vice versa.

When we got to the 20 week scan, I kind of felt like I needed something to keep the momentum going. At that stage I wasn't really showing (though I still don't think I am now, I think I just look fat lol) and we had made it 20 whole weeks I thought, you know what a bit of excitement at this stage would be nice.

So I asked whilst she was doing the scan....she said she thinks it's a boy, she couldn't be sure because it was all scrunched up but her thinking was that it was a boy. So there's still a kind of air of mystery about it, we kinda know, but we're not sure, so I guess we've got the best of both worlds now :D

I would say to you though, to talk about it to your partner, don't have it like the elephant in the room when you're having the scan done. Make a clear decision between you both and be happy with it.

Oops forgot to say....good luck xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My wife was adamant it was a boy before the scan. I really wanted to know; she was non-committal, so they told it at the scan. It was a boy too!

A friend's partner told me she knew somebody who got a 'false diagnosis' though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

I personally want to know but my partner wants a surprise! I want to know because I really would like BOY, so if they say to me it will be GIRL I will have time to prepare myself (I personally can't predict how will I behave)

I'm sure I'll be happy for my baby girl as well.

If I know now, I will talk then to baby -she is my girl or he is my boy...

As well many people ask me "How will you behave if in hospital scan they were mistaken?" I don't know really.. I still have few weeks to decide....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I cant wait to find out. I have two boys already so a girl would be nice but either way we just can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

We found out for both. Saved 50% of the arguments for names and we were more prepared for the birth. I was convinced with DS that he was a boy just like I was convinced this one (due 8th May)is a girl.

Did OP have their scan? Did ye find out the sex in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

We are having another little girl, :D can't wait :D:D
    Was surprised tho, carrying alot different time, totally different pregnancy!
    Roll on 13th June :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

Mrs.T wrote: »

Did OP have their scan? Did ye find out the sex in the end?

We have had two scans so far, but they didn't do one when we went in at 20 weeks and my OH has agreed to wait with me until it is born before finding out so i am happy! we for now just call it 'junior' :D

Advertisement