Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long can you be chased for money?

Options
  • 17-02-2009 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

How long can you be chased for money?

I went to o2 the other day to purchase one of thier i phones.

Everything was going fine, until they rand for a credit check.

About 11 years ago, I got into an argument with o2 over some charges on my phone bill, I dont even think they were 02 back then. Anyhow I told them to take a run and jump and everytime I received a demand from them I returned a letter denying the charges.

Eventually the letters stopped, so I thought that was the end of the matter.

Since I have stayed clear of 02 and stayed with Vodafone.

The girl on the 02 office informed me the debt had now risen to over €200 euro! And now that 02 had my new address they would be writing to me demanding the monies owed!

Naturally my application was refused and I amd now awaiting the letter from 02 demanding €200!

But can they still come after me 11 years on?

Is their some sort of time frame than limits the time companies can chase bad debts? And can they seriosly charge me interest over that time?

I cant even remember what the argument was about!

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

According to the Statute of Limitations Act, 1957, after 6 years the debt will be statute barred, that's assuming that in the six year period there has been no, none, zero communication regarding the issue.

Don't take my word for it though, I've not read the act. You may want to get the advice of a solicitor, however in that case paying the €200.00 would be more cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Mena wrote: »
    According to the Statute of Limitations Act, 1957, after 6 years the debt will be statute barred

Either way it's up to O2 to decide to grant credit terms with you or not, may be a good idea get a credit check with the credit bureau because it might effect other loans you might apply for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Either way it's up to O2 to decide to grant credit terms with you or not, may be a good idea get a credit check with the credit bureau because it might effect other loans you might apply for.

True. O2 are free to decline to provide you with a service. As to the credit record, a blip lasts what, 5 years? If there was one, it should be cleared ages ago. Simple enough to check at www.icb.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

According to the Statute of Limitations Act, 1957, after 6 years the debt will be statute barred, that's assuming that in the six year period there has been no, none, zero communication regarding the issue.

Don't take my word for it though, I've not read the act. You may want to get the advice of a solicitor, however in that case paying the €200.00 would be more cost effective.

In relation to the 6 year rule, I left my address that I was living at during that time, so I have no way of knowing if they wrote to me or not.

now 02 will more than likely say yes they did, but I have no proof either way, so how would that work with the ruling of no contact?

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They would have been Digifone back then, but when O2 bought that company, they also bought all it's debts.

Anyway, even if the debt has gone beyond the statute of limitations, that doesn't necessarily mean the company won't keep a record of it (as they obviously did) or that they won't hold it against you still (which again, they are). They may not be able to legally make you pay up, but they can probably use it to refuse you a new phone.

Other companies, such as Vodafone or Meteor, should not be able to see any record of the bad debt at this point.

If you're interested, you can check your credit history at www.icb.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

True. O2 are free to decline to provide you with a service. As to the credit record, a blip lasts what, 5 years? If there was one, it should be cleared ages ago. Simple enough to check at www.icb.ie

It's 5 years from the date the debt is discharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

EKRIUQ wrote: »

O2 can't affect your credit rating here in Ireland, only financial institutions like banks and credit unions or courts.

Advertisement