Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fountainhead

Options
  • 17-02-2009 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

I've just started reading the fountainhead, it's seems interesting. Has anyone read it, if so what are your opinions of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Fantastic tbh. It's the best Ayn Rand I have read - I'd put it a lot about Atlas Shrugged. It's worth the 700 pages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged are my two favourite books of all time. The characters are especially endearing and very inspirational (Roark and Rearden ftw) and the pro-capitalism/individualism agenda just make it all the more enjoyable. Absolutely epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Who is John Galt tbh

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭KevinH

Her philosophy strikes me as superficial and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I don't know much about her philosophy but The Fountainhead is a monumental read. One of the best books I've read in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

The only Rand I've read is Anthem, probably one of the worst books I've ever read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Another +1 for The Fountainhead - a powerful read.
    Still haven't gotten around to reading Atlas Shrugged yet but I will someday.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

John wrote: »
    I don't know much about her philosophy but The Fountainhead is a monumental read. One of the best books I've read in a long time.

The Fountainhead is a subtle introduction to the philosophical side of Ayn Rand and in Atlas Shrugged it achieves it's full, overt, expression. Regardless of your opinions on the philosophy, they're both cracking good reads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

About half ways through The Fountainhead. The length is starting to get on my nerves. Tempted to forget about it tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

RonMexico wrote: »
    About half ways through The Fountainhead. The length is starting to get on my nerves. Tempted to forget about it tbh

Well if it really doesnt serve your self interest to continue then dont.

Yours,
    Ayn Rand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

turgon wrote: »
    Well if it really doesnt serve your self interest to continue then dont.

Yours,
    Ayn Rand.

Doesn't his moral code compel him to finish it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I'll finish it even if the process becomes torture. I have to, because it is part of a greater goal.

Advertisement