Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matthews Coach drogheda - dublin

Options
  • 17-02-2009 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

hi, i would just like to express my views on Matthews Coach service.
    First of all the ticket price is €12.00 return for both an adult and child which is ridiculos to not have a child price. Then on 2 occasions on my return journey the driver answered his mobile phone (no hands free before u ask) and had full conversation whilst driving at high speed.
    Is this not illegal.. i ask myself!? I have sent an email to Matthews coach but am yet to get reponse. has anyone else any views on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I've seen loads of Matthews drivers talking on their phone with a handsfree though I think a couple of them do have a bluetooth headset.

As for the fares, they can charge what they like, I'm sure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mynameis.. wrote: »
    Then on 2 occasions on my return journey the driver answered his mobile phone (no hands free before u ask) and had full conversation whilst driving at high speed.
    Is this not illegal.. i ask myself!?

Yes it is very much illegal, I've seen Bus Eireann drivers do this to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Prat Kenny

OP, I see you're location is Limerick so you couldn't have known any better. But Drogheda/Dundalk locals avoid the Matthews bus like the plague.

It's usually packed full of students commuting to college so be prepared to listen to spoilt brats discuss the events of the previous night in detail while yapping loudly on their phone or playing crap music at max volume on thier iPod, just so you can enjoy it too.

Bus éireann only charges €5 for a single ticket and their buses are quiet enough to read a paper. I think it's €12 for a return too so you're better off buying two singles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mynameis..

the only prob with bus eireann is that it goes half ways across the country before u get 2 ur stop or does it go on motorway? i cant believe they so blatenty use thier mobiles.. it will only be an issue when theres a crash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

the only prob with bus eireann is that it goes half ways across the country before u get 2 ur stop or does it go on motorway? i cant believe they so blatenty use thier mobiles.. it will only be an issue when theres a crash!

The 100X goes on the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Nicknax

I'm based in Dundalk and would highly recommend the Matthews Coach to anyone wanting to get to Dublin from Dundalk for several reasons,

Its a regular service and runs late in the evening - perfect for getting home form footy games or nights out
    Its always on time -no estimated times
    Its a cheap alternative to the train
    It brings you right into the city
    The buses are clean and modern
    The drivers are all well presented and courtious

Im sure I could add more.

My boyfriend uses this service every day to go to and from Dublin for work for the past year and its always on time and we are pleased with the service.

Bus Eireann should take some notes imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Nicknax wrote: »

Hopefully not while driving :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

report the incident of the driver using his mobile while driving to your local guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

YE, HAVE NOTICED THAT A FEW TIMES.THE NUMBER IS ON THE BACK OF THE BUS,SO NEXT TIME RING IT AND COMPLAIN.DANGEROUS F...S:mad:.ONLY WHEN YOU ARE STOPPED OF COURSE .:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

Disagree with you on many fronts. Am a very regular user of the Matthew xpress service and have never ever seen the drivers use their mobile phones. All of the ones I've encountered have the blue tooth ear thingies. Recently I was on the coach when the driver pulled in by Mountjoy Square and went up and down the aisle giving out to anyone who did not have their seatbelt on!But you should definitely report the driver who didn't use his hands free device to their office. I have found them easier to get in touch with by phone, anytime I have had queries, it was usually a few days before they would respond to my e-mail.

Also don't see why children should be given a discount. They occupy a seat after all. The service is marketed as a commuter service, therefore not child orientated. Just my humble opinion....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mynameis..

do commuters use the bus that much on a Sunday? yes a discount should be given, not because tehy "occupy" a seat but because they are children and rates should be less, do u think every parent can fork out 12euro per child?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

hi, i would just like to express my views on Matthews Coach service.
    First of all the ticket price is €12.00 return for both an adult and child which is ridiculos to not have a child price. Then on 2 occasions on my return journey the driver answered his mobile phone (no hands free before u ask) and had full conversation whilst driving at high speed.
    Is this not illegal.. i ask myself!? I have sent an email to Matthews coach but am yet to get reponse. has anyone else any views on this?

Re Prices, You could take the train or bus eiren if they are cheaper, but Mathews are reliable, and clean always, and now they are introducing free Wi-Fi internet on their coaches. A couple of the buses already have it and its being rolled out on the whole fleet

do commuters use the bus that much on a Sunday? yes a discount should be given, not because tehy "occupy" a seat but because they are children and rates should be less, do u think every parent can fork out 12euro per child?!!

Ah they can use bus Eiren see if they have a child price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Prat Kenny wrote: »
    OP, I see you're location is Limerick so you couldn't have known any better. But Drogheda/Dundalk locals avoid the Matthews bus like the plague.

It's usually packed full of students commuting to college so be prepared to listen to spoilt brats discuss the events of the previous night in detail while yapping loudly on their phone or playing crap music at max volume on thier iPod, just so you can enjoy it too.

Bus éireann only charges €5 for a single ticket and their buses are quiet enough to read a paper. I think it's €12 for a return too so you're better off buying two singles.

How can you say that locals avoid it like the plague and then go on to say it's always packed? And by the way, there would be no Bus Eireann €5 fare if it wasn't for the competition from Matthews Coaches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Use this every friday to get home from Dublin,

+ always on time
    + drops off at much better spots for me
    + price - and ticket does not have to be used to return ie 2 trips regardsless of direction.
    + Drivers are very polite and friendly
    + they have a new service to the 02 for gigs down the tunnel .

- those annoying students :mad:
    - i get the same bus at the same time most weeks and it's always driven by the same guy. A nice guy but always seems like he is racing the dundalk bus and thinks nothing of overtaking frequently on the motorway. Isnt there an 80kmph limit on buses on motorway????? This guy has even missed the turn off to Drogheda from the motor twice in recent times lmao :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Prat Kenny wrote: »

That's total crap, Prat. Dundalk "locals" of all ages throng to the Matthews buses. That's why they are so successful and packed, with 2 buses often leaving at each time. It's a great service with wonderfully caring and considerate drivers.

They are the ones that force Bus Eireann to start giving some level of value and service from Dundalk to Dublin.

As for the OP and the Child fare: it's a cheap fare anyway and a child takes up a full seat. Bought any Child tickets for theatres, concerts and the like lately?

I'm based in Dundalk and would highly recommend the Matthews Coach to anyone wanting to get to Dublin from Dundalk for several reasons,

Its a regular service and runs late in the evening - perfect for getting home form footy games or nights out

My boyfriend uses this service every day to go to and from Dublin for work for the past year and its always on time and we are pleased with the service.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

I find it a pretty good service. It would be great it if it catered for a stop in Monasterboice as it would save me two bus journeys.

Also im pretty annoyed to hear someone give out bout "nosiy students" they are paying their fares and have every right to be on the bus, and if it wasnt for them the service would not run as reguraly.

Also I think the bus drivers are pretty nice.

Finally the bus eireann 100x service is rarely on time, usually about ten minutes late from my experience. Would defintely pick matthews bus over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Also im pretty annoyed to hear someone give out bout "nosiy students" they are paying their fares and have every right to be on the bus,

No one is saying they dont have the right, they just dont have the right to annoy everyone with their noise :p to be fair its not a regular thing but when it happens i have noticed it is always students, and no im not 50 years old i am only a few years out of college myself but i never acted like that on a bus or anywhere else and to be even fairer these guys will still probably act the same long after they are students

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

Thats fair enough I guess, but I dont like the whole implying that all student are noisy.
    Its worse when you met someone you remotely know and then spend the journey having to talk them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭mac_attack

The free wi-fi is a nice new service they have on all buses. Mathews FTW!

Always use Matthews when travelling. Think they're a brilliant group. Excellent service every time i've ever used them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Hey, sorry if its written here already, but i looked on their site and could find it either. Where abouts does the bus leave from in dublin? It says Parnell street, but where exactly on parnell street, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Have a look at http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.353177,-6.260104&spn=0.00267,0.00574&t=h&z=18

It's just past where the Dublin Busses stop, heading away from O'Connell St. There's a small bus marker there. At least, if you don't see the stop, you'll see the bus.

Paulw wrote: »
    Have a look at http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.353177,-6.260104&spn=0.00267,0.00574&t=h&z=18

It's just past where the Dublin Busses stop, heading away from O'Connell St. There's a small bus marker there. At least, if you don't see the stop, you'll see the bus.

sweet, so top of o connells street, take a right? and i should see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

thorbarry wrote: »
    sweet, so top of o connells street, take a right? and i should see it?

Well, the bus doesn't sit there long. Many times, it arrives, lets people off, picks up people and leaves. It might be there for 5-10 mins or so.

great, thanks for the help buddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 realoize

Mathews bus is a great service. I would agree with Nicknax
    I've used it now quite regularly commuting to college and it has been a life saver.

The other plus for student commutors is that while Bus Eireann charges €36 for a ten journey return, mathews bus charges €50 ,BUT one can use those ten journeys whenever, ie. at any time of the month or year, whereas the bus eireann ticket expires at the end of the week.

Majorly Convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@realoize Please don't drag up old threads

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement