Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake clothing collectors?

• 17-02-2009 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I'm sure many residents are getting the 'clothing collection',etc tags asking you to fill bags with clothes for 'the poor in Africa' or something. Most of them seem dodge to me, i.e. only a mobile phone listed. Got one today that looked quite legit. Has a website (veltis.eu - quite slick looking), VAT reg. no. & what looks like proper permits attached on the website. Does anyone know if these guys are legit? Some of the writing on the tag appears vague & unprofessional...'all suitable items will be sent to Ukraine, Africa & some other countries', 'we do not enclosed a bag because the safety of your children.....'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

VAT reg number means it's a business NOT a charity.

This company will make money from your 'donation'.
    Contact them and tell them that you will sell them your clothes at €4.50 per square metre. I think you will find that they hang up. Bastids, I hate these fockers!

edit, by the way veltis.eu and vetlis.eu do not exist :confused: Are you sure you typed this correctly? Also celtis.eu is a French employment agency :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 33cl

sry, viltis.eu

Just reading the flyer again I wonder if technically this sort of thing isnt breaking any laws because nowhere do they say they're a charity, they just ask you to donate so the clothes can be 'sent to Ukraine, etc'. Nothing about them profiting from it, which almost certainly they will be. So the VAT nr is probably legit aswell.

........and just did a google on the company account holders name and surprise surprise, found this site:

http://clothingcollection.org/

:rolleyes: cheeky bu*gers i'll give em that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah there's nothing illegal about what they are doing, disingenuous maybe, illegal no.

Some of these company's simply recycle the clothes fabric and send a portion of the materials to other countries or send them there to sell at discount prices. Not saying that's the case with this company but many similar companies operate in this way.

I can tell you that the site owners of viltis.eu are supposedly based in Nenagh Co Tipperary and I have their phone number too (it's registered to an 086 mobile).

I've just done another Google search and discovered that these people have been mentioned on boards.ie before.

Give your clothes to a regular proper charity within your area. Call St Vincent de Paul or visit your local OxFam shop or Irish Cancer Society, just be sure it's a charity :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 milkymoo24

I have serious beef with this so called organisation... like everyone else here, they seem to like waking us up around 4 in the morning, 2 nights a week.. EVERY week even though we give them nothing. Been meaning to try get hold of them for ages but last night was the final straw... We get our milk cartons delivered to out house and my partner forgot to take it in last night... this morning he took it in and noticed it was lighter than usual. He opened the lid and the bloody thing had been opened and drank from. And surprise suprise we had a viltis letter in the letter box. Now if one of the kids had taken in the milk they would not have realised that it had opened and someone had their mouth on it... Its bad enough the cut across all the gardens in out street instead of using the gates, and in doing so waking up all the dogs on the street ( We have a bloody wolf next door and two dogs of our own) at 4am but to touch our property and leave it there for us to use is not on. I'd rather they took the entire thing away with them. Does anyone here have a number or address for who runs them in the south east???? tried the mobile number that is posted and an eastern european lady answered and played dumb!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

as posted before - charities can't claim back VAT so a VAT number means it's NOT a charity

check the phone number, if it's not a landline number then there is no way to trace them ( 028 is a foreign number - NI ) so if they dump clothes at the side of the road and those clothes can be traced back to you then technically you could get done for littering

Irish charities have a CHY number - anything else and it isn't an Irish charity

Off the top of my head only Barnardos , liberties recycling and perhaps one or two others that I've seen in last few years actually have CHY numbers, and a shop down the country has a Landline, every other one shoud be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law because stealing from charities is pretty low

there are laws in place , they just need to be enforced :mad:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0006/print.html
    References to charitable status.

46.— (1) A person who holds out a body that is not registered as being registered shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) A body (other than a registered charitable organisation) that, in any notice, advertisement, promotional literature or any other published material, describes itself or its activities in such terms as would cause members of the public to reasonably believe that it is a charitable organisation shall, subject to subsection (6), be guilty of an offence.

(3) A person who holds out a body that is not established under the law of the State as being so established shall be guilty of an offence.

It's very simple - give clothes to charity shops or deposit them in the clothing banks , probably one at a local supermarket

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.neighbours.ie/adamstown/showthread.php?p=9971
    these *******'s again

they provide a company number - but you can't do a search by that on http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanySearch.aspx and it's fake anyway

a quick google search for "086 2147000" finds the November 2008 minutes of the council

Q92.
    COUNCILLOR NAOISE O’MUIRÍ
    Can the Manager confirm that the unnamed company with Company Reg No
    287899 and contact number 086 2147000 engaged in collecting clothing in
    APPENDIX A: MINUTES OF COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 03/11/2008
    the city area has been granted a permit for this activity by Dublin City Council
    as claimed on its literature.
    CITY MANAGER’S REPLY:
    A search of the Companies Registration Office website in respect of company
    number 287899 has revealed the company to be Pragmatic Software Ltd.
    with an address at 75 Newmarket Square, Wards Hill, Dublin 8. The status of
    this company is dissolved with an effective date of the 23rd June 2000.

Having checked the Collection Permit Register maintained in the Waste
    Regulations Section, I can confirm that no application has been received
    from, and no Waste Collection Permit granted to, Pragmatic Software Ltd.

Advertisement