Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll - Income levels of private sector tenants

Options
  • 17-02-2009 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

Just out of interest, what are the REAL levels of income amongst private sector tenants? From reading the news, you get impression that "renting is cheap" but is it actually "cheap" relative to the income levels of most people in that sector? Please feel free to vote.

For private tenants only - how much do you earn? 12 votes

Social welfare only (less than 15k per year)
    0% 0 votes
    Social welfare only (more than 15k per year)
    0% 0 votes
    15k-20k per year
    8% 1 vote
    20k-25k per year
    0% 0 votes
    25k-35k per year
    16% 2 votes
    35k or more per year
    75% 9 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

renting isn't 'cheap' it's just cheaper than buying the same property, for the majority of people / properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I didn't suggest it was, in fact the whole point of this poll is to figure out if renters are actually mostly less well off people who are as like to find rents high RELATIVE to wages. I'm surprised so many are on above average wages, but would be interesting to know how many of these also pay higher rents, or if people live somewhere cheaper in order to save (for whatever reason).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

shoegirl wrote: »
    I'm surprised so many are on above average wages, but would be interesting to know how many of these also pay higher rents, or if people live somewhere cheaper in order to save (for whatever reason).
    The fact that so many are on 35k+ but rent is a partial testament to how stupidly priced houses still are (unless you want a long commute). You'd also though need to factor in the younger age profile here and whether people are renting as a couple, etc.
    My own rent is slightly above North Co. Dublin average for a 2-bed, as published in Daft's report yesterday. It would still near cripple me to buy the same place, despite the fall in prices. Won't be doing that, especially with the future uncertain for jobs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The poll is skewed as the sample set is boards.ie users only.

boards.ie users may be more affluent than the general public overall...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

All my friends who rent, who are my age (30+), all earn a lot more money than the average wage. Some of them earn about 2 - 3 times the average wage.

I don't think renting necessarily means you have a lower wage than the average house owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

spockety wrote: »
    The poll is skewed as the sample set is boards.ie users only.

boards.ie users may be more affluent than the general public overall...

Thats a very real possibility. Just curious to see if there is any correlation between income and tenure. Reason I ask is traditionally I've noticed a considerable proportion of my neighbours are low earners or welfare dependent.

Advertisement