Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT003 - Manutronics Automation

Options
  • 17-02-2009 12:54pm

Anyone out there doing or done this course?
    Any details about what its like would be great, i looked it up on qualifax but i'd like to get people's opinions on it too.

(Also i tried searching to see if there was a thread about this already but i couldn't find it)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Hi,
    I am looking to do this in Sept if I don't get any job by then.
    I am currently doing a FAS Fetac level 6 course in Industrial Automation which will get me in at the final year of the DIT course. I also have level 7 Diploma (now pass degree equivalent) in Engineering(Electronics) but electronics is now dead in Ireland for anything below Honours degree level, design etc... in my opinion.

I hope the same thing doesn't apply to manafacturing at junior levels in Ireland in general.

I have found my contact so far with DIT staf in the Department of Manufacturing and Design Engineering so far to be very helpful, accessable and friendly so I'd definitely give them a shout.
    I have contact names if you want to follow up. by PM

Thanks for the info, its very helpful.

You seem the ideal person to ask this question to,

I studied electrical enginnering in DIT but I didn't like it very much,

do you think manutronics automation would be pretty much along the same lines as the course i studied before?

I know a guy I worked with who started out with an ordinary degree in Electrical and converted it to electronics in 1 year part-time. He is now in software development in Intel and enjoying the work very much after a frustrating few years in circuit board test and repair equipment support.
    Obviously there is more emphasis on pneumatics, mechanics and hydraulics in the manutronics course and using CAD packages to design manufacturing layouts and equipment for use in modern industry.
    Big emphasis on sensors and actuators, robots and integrating them into a coherent system through networks and information sharing systems.
    Modern industrial practice places huge emphasis on traceability and control of each step of a process and on eliminating waste and scrap and mistakes from a process.
    It depends on what you are finding difficulty with in electrical eng but my big handicap was mathematics and there seems to be a lot in this course as well, differential equations, Laplace and Z transforms etc. So I will find that a challenge.
    Have a talk with Mark MCGrath in the School of Design and Manufacturing Engineering.

Mark McGrath
    Lecturer, Department of Manufacturing Engineering
    School of Manufacturing & Design Engineering
    Dublin Institute of Technology (D.I.T), Bolton St.,
    Dublin 1.
    TEL. +353 1 402 3832

I actually didn't mind the maths, I always kinda like maths so that doesn't bother me. It was more the physics and classes like that, that bugged me.

Thanks for your help i really appreciate it

• Advertisement
Advertisement