Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with slow eircom broadband in d6 area?

Options
  • 17-02-2009 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Hi has any one having very slow broadband speeds over last day or 2 in the D6 area over the last few days?My connection between pc and router is fine.Just wondering if its eircom generally or my line,

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

I'm in D6 and it has been perfect for a week... until last night. I'm on the 7MB package and it just keeps losing DSL sync. It does this in fits; on for five seconds, on for two seconds, gone again etc etc etc. It'll keep doing this for about an hour and then it settles down and it can be fine, excellent in fact, for a week. I can get speeds of 720kbps and sometimes it'll upload around 45 before dropping back to a normal and steady 38. When it takes these fits, every time it reconnects the speed gets slower and slower and slower. It started last night about 23:15 and kept at it for over an hour. By 00:30 all was fine again and it was zipping along.

I rang the nothelpful line a few times previously and on each occasion, I was told the problem was on my end and I'd have to agree to pay the €100 call out fee. They "test the line" and immediately say, "Yeah. Problem is with you." Then I tell them I can see the DSL has synced so they "retest" and say, "Strange. It's all fine now. You must've done something." :rolleyes: I just gave up. It'll settle down eventually.

My sceptical side thinks it's a money making racket; trip a switch in an exchange some place. Irritate a few customers. Said customers ring up. Get them to agree to the €100 fee. Come out to the house, fiddle about for a while, nip back to the exchange and flick the switch. All done and eircon are €100 (per call out) richer. What really pissed me off is when I did ring up, the guy could see I'm a doctor. When I would not agree to the fee he said, "It's only €100. You can well afford it." He was having a laugh and was friendly but I just didn't like that.

I don't have a monitored alarm, I don't have Sky, I don't have any other connections to the phone apart from the house phone and the modem. I've one phone socket in the house and it's new - all rigged up with a new phone line put into the house November 2008. The problem ain't on my end but I've given up arguing with them and I will not, EVER, agree to a fee for them to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

bronn wrote: »

I rang the nothelpful line a few times previously and on each occasion, I was told the problem was on my end and I'd have to agree to pay the €100 call out fee. They "test the line" and immediately say, "Yeah. Problem is with you." Then I tell them I can see the DSL has synced so they "retest" and say, "Strange. It's all fine now. You must've done something." :rolleyes: I just gave up. It'll settle down eventually.

Its called interrmittent sync. Call up, get put down to lower package speed and leave nothing but your modem on the main phone point for 24 hours. Then they can see how often you connected and disconnected with just the modem.
    My sceptical side thinks it's a money making racket; trip a switch in an exchange some place. Irritate a few customers. Said customers ring up. Get them to agree to the €100 fee. Come out to the house, fiddle about for a while, nip back to the exchange and flick the switch. All done and eircon are €100 (per call out) richer. What really pissed me off is when I did ring up, the guy could see I'm a doctor. When I would not agree to the fee he said, "It's only €100. You can well afford it." He was having a laugh and was friendly but I just didn't like that.

Obviously the person explaining did not describe it correctly. The 100 euro fee only applies if they go to your house and find that its your equipment thats causing the issue or if you had builders in and they fecked with the line to your house. If its a problem at the exchange or with the eircom equipment its costs nothing. With regards the doctor thing, its only pretentious people who actually get doctor put on their account name so lighten up.
    I don't have a monitored alarm, I don't have Sky, I don't have any other connections to the phone apart from the house phone and the modem. I've one phone socket in the house and it's new - all rigged up with a new phone line put into the house November 2008. The problem ain't on my end but I've given up arguing with them and I will not, EVER, agree to a fee for them to come out.

Well then, if you do not agree to the call out fee the engineer simply checks up to the pole nearest your house. If the problem is after that and you still experience problems, tough cookies. You did not agree to the charges.

Its called interrmittent sync. Call up, get put down to lower package speed and leave nothing but your modem on the main phone point for 24 hours. Then they can see how often you connected and disconnected with just the modem.
    Can't. I'm on call and I need the phone line 24/7 because of work. They put me onto the lower speed for two days anyway, just to try it, and of course it was during a period when everything was fine.
    Well then, if you do not agree to the call out fee the engineer simply checks up to the pole nearest your house. If the problem is after that and you still experience problems, tough cookies. You did not agree to the charges.
    I won't agree to the charges because it's all new equipment and a new line, so why should I pay for something that should've been right in the first place? The house had no phone in it, so it's even got a new line in from the pole on the road. There have been no builders in the place since the phone was done. Then I ordered broadband and the modem was set up by eircon's own engineer. But I suspect they'll still find a way to blame me or say that the problem is on my end. On that basis, I'm not agreeing to any charge. So, yes, I'll just have to put up with the intermittent sync and the dodgy speeds, and hope it settles down. Yes, it's driving me nuts but I still will not agree. Why should I? Everything is new since November 2008 and it should be working correctly. Even the nightmarish UPC don't do this to customers.
    With regards the doctor thing, its only pretentious people who actually get doctor put on their account name so lighten up.
    Ah, God love ye. Jealous much? Don't you worry, pet. The nasty pretentious (and arrogantly condescending) doctor will leave you alone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Can't. I'm on call and I need the phone line 24/7 because of work. They put me onto the lower speed for two days anyway, just to try it, and of course it was during a period when everything was fine.

You expect any sane person to believe that where ever you work would limit their contact details for you to a home telephone number? I know its frustrating that you, a doctor cannot understand why these steps are being done but there is always a reason.

I won't agree to the charges because it's all new equipment and a new line, so why should I pay for something that should've been right in the first place? The house had no phone in it, so it's even got a new line in from the pole on the road. There have been no builders in the place since the phone was done. Then I ordered broadband and the modem was set up by eircon's own engineer. But I suspect they'll still find a way to blame me or say that the problem is on my end. On that basis, I'm not agreeing to any charge. So, yes, I'll just have to put up with the intermittent sync and the dodgy speeds, and hope it settles down. Yes, it's driving me nuts but I still will not agree. Why should I? Everything is new since November 2008 and it should be working correctly. Even the nightmarish UPC don't do this to customers.

Some people just don't understand english. Even when its written down for them to read over.
    Ah, God love ye. Jealous much? Don't you worry, pet. The nasty pretentious (and arrogantly condescending) doctor will leave you alone now.

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Eircom don't ask you to agree to pay €100 euros for sending an engineer, they ask you to agree to pay €100 if what you have told the tech over the phone isn't what the engineer finds in your home or, for whatever reason, you don't allow them to do their job by following their instructions.

If it turns out your splitter is faulty but you wouldn't allow the agent to simply confirm this was the problem and replace it free of charge why should eircom pay to send an engineer only to discover the exact same thing?

It's very simple, you don't have to pay if you follow their basic instructions. It's most likely the splitter and if it's not they'll send an engineer for free. The reason they want you to leave it plugged in over night without the splitter is so when you ring back the next morning they can check their system to see if it's still intermittent or not.

• Advertisement

LA3G wrote: »
    If it turns out your splitter is faulty but you wouldn't allow the agent to simply confirm this was the problem and replace it free of charge why should eircom pay to send an engineer only to discover the exact same thing?
    Thanks for the assist, appreciate it. I really wish the helpline people would be clear on this point. One chap I spoke to said if the splitter is the problem I have to pay. Whuh? Why?? I can't believe that this is the case and I'm sure he's wrong (and it's like you said - a faulty splitter isn't my fault) but it was at that point I gave up. I'll get another splitter and try it myself. If it still doesn't work then... sigh... I'll agree to their hypothetical payment and resign myself to probably having to pay no matter what. In fairness, one helpline chap thought something might be wrong with my modem (it arrived in a seriously tattered box minus an aerial and instruction book) and he had another one sent out. I sent the original one back, with the splitter and other bits of modem kit, but it was nice of him to try and sort things out.

Again, the speed dropped to nothing during the day today but it's zipping along, full tilt, tonight. After one or two synch blips that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Any progress on this?

Yes, a bit. I rang and said, "No bother, lads. There's €100 in it for you. Just fix it." But now they're thinking it's not me at all. They've been really helpful, and it has improved a bit, but it still seems to have no sync issues maybe once or twice a day.

We went through the usual tests and resets etc. They also said they had turned off interleaving (don't quite know what that means - something to do with packets of data getting sent back and forth). I was getting fabulous speeds of 7128/380 (it was never that fast). Then, some time last night, it wigged out again. I was backing up about 10GB of stuff to a central server and I reckon it lost sync about 2am. Don't know how many times - I'll know later on when the broadband stats are updated.

Anyway, the speed is slower this morning, about 6900/360. If it's losing sync once a day, it's a massive improvement to the 20 or 30 times a day. Still, it's a pain if it does it in the middle of a backup. The helpdesk people said to try working with it for a while. If it doesn't work then they said they would send out the engineer. I'm thinking that's now got to be the next step.

Advertisement