Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Emergency landing Feb 15th

Options
  • 17-02-2009 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

I thought there'd be a thread on this. I haven't seen the news so not sure if it made the headlines. Just copied/pasted from the Ryanair MEgathread in Consumers :

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0216/1233867938402.html
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=413:emergency-landing-for-ryanair-jet-at-shannon&catid=37:local-news&Itemid=60

Emergency crews put on standby for Ryanair flight

A RYANAIR flight from Birmingham declared an emergency prior to landing at Shannon airport yesterday amid fears that a tyre in the rear undercarriage had been damaged during take-off.

Flight 1313, which left Birmingham at 2.50pm on its scheduled service to Shannon, was carrying 177 passengers and crew. The aircraft carried out a low-level fly past over the airport’s main runway so that fire crews on the ground could visually inspect the landing gear as the aircraft flew past.

After nothing unusual was observed in the undercarriage, air traffic controllers contacted the pilot and advised him that he could land. The jet touched down safely just minutes later under the watchful eyes of crash crews.

The alarm was raised after ground crews at Birmingham discovered rubber debris on the runway after the Ryanair Boeing 737-800 jet had departed for Shannon. Air traffic control in Birmingham contacted the crew of the Ryanair flight to notify it of the discovery.

As the flight began its descent into Shannon, the captain notified controllers at the airport of the potential problem and requested that emergency services be placed on standby.

Units of the fire brigade from Shannon and Ennis, along with ambulances from Limerick and Ennis, were scrambled to the airport in support of the airport’s own fire and rescue service.

A Ryanair spokesperson said last night: “A piece of rubber was discovered on the runway at Birmingham airport. Air traffic control in Birmingham notified the crew of the discovery and as a precaution, the pilot asked the emergency crews be put on standby at Shannon. The aircraft landed without incident.”

Emergency landing for Ryanair jet at Shannon
    Written by Andrew Carey
    Monday, 16 February 2009 09:27

Shannon Airport emergency services were called to alert on Sunday afternoon last when one of Michael O'Leary's Ryanair planes was forced to make an emergency landing at the county Clare airport following a report from the flight deck of problems with a tyre.

On route from the UK, the pilot made contact with Shannon to say it had a tyre problem, shortly before 4pm in the afternoon.

The plane operated a circling pattern above the airport at a safe distance and landed 15 minutes after notifying the emergency services.

The plane was carrying 177 passengers and crew and no injuries have been reported.

The Shannon Airport Authority reported that the plane carried out a low-level fly past over the main runway at Shannon so that fire crews on the ground could visually inspect the landing gear as the aircraft flew past.

The fire crews had nothing to report so the aircraft was cleared for landing with no further incident.

There's a poster in that Ryanair thread who was on it. Said there was one of the cabin crew crying .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

from the contrails blog-

This afternoon's Ryanair flight RYR 1Q from Birmingham to Shannon made an emergency landing at Shannon as the aircraft has a suspected burst nosewheel tyre. The aircraft initially made a low pass down the runway to enable a Ryanair engineer positioned on the threshold view the condition of the landing gear. At 16.35 the aircraft made a safe landing with the airport fire and rescue service in attendance. After touching the main gear, the aircraft 'wheelied' down the runway for a considerable distance to kill speed before touching the nose gear. After inspection by the fire crew the aircraft was allowed taxi onto stand. The aircraft re-entered service later this evening, preforming the Shannon - Prestwick - Shannon RYR 732J/733J rotation. Pictured above EI-DYS turns onto Taxiway Alpha on R24 pursued by the Airport Fire Service tenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I was on this flight. fun times. gutted we didnt get to use the slide at the end of it all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

zuroph wrote: »
    I was on this flight. fun times. gutted we didnt get to use the slide at the end of it all.

I read a report on another site. That poster said there was no emergency briefing yet the cabin crew commanded "brace brace" for landing. Can you confirm or deny this?

Also for your info EI had an emergency on a CDG flight last week. Hydraulic problem,full safety brief to pax and preparation for emergency landing. Turned out fine,normal landing.

Bramble wrote: »
    I read a report on another site. That poster said there was no emergency briefing yet the cabin crew commanded "brace brace" for landing. Can you confirm or deny this?

Also for your info EI had an emergency on a CDG flight last week. Hydraulic problem,full safety brief to pax and preparation for emergency landing. Turned out fine,normal landing.
    Can confirm. I think the decision was taken so as not to cause panic. the other guy commenting on landing said he heard the FA say "righ, on your command" so they knew the brace was coming, but as the two crew sitting at the back of the plane returned to the back one was asked was everything ok and she said it had been solved. About 500ft from runway, Pilot said Brace Brace, and the airhostesses instantly started shouting it repeatedly. TBH if people dont know brace position its their own fault, its literally been in their face for the entire flight. But maybe a quick demo could have been done before the second landing attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

There were reports that many of the passengers on the flight that landed in the Hudson Ribver in Jan weren't in the brace position but were instead taking pictures on their phones!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Alan, I'd say without much doubt , those reports are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

There's a poster in that Ryanair thread who was on it. Said there was one of the cabin crew crying .

Of course someone said that. Its boards.ie people seem to have a fetish for making up bull**** about Ryanair.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Of course someone said that. Its boards.ie people seem to have a fetish for making up bull**** about Ryanair.
    what u talking bout? I was sat at the back and the brown haired airhostess was crying. it ain't bull****, its a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Stevek101 wrote: »

Zuroph reported the landing before it was on the news/net so I'll believe him. Don't see why he'd make it up.
    zuroph wrote: »
    what u talking bout? I was sat at the back and the brown haired airhostess was crying. it ain't bull****, its a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Sounds like a total non event to me.

• Advertisement

it was, but not if you were a passenger.

Advertisement