Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Horse Lorry Vrs Double Horsebox

Options
  • 17-02-2009 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm in the middle of looking for transport for my horses but i can't decide whether a 2 horse lorry would be better than a double horse box.

I know the lorry would be under 3.5Tonne so i could drive it without doing another test but considering cost to run,insurance, tax etc what are the pro's and con's of either

i'm looking at a ford transit 3.5 tonne LWB or the other option would be an ifor williams 505 or 510 i don't like the new models.

i'd appreciate your suggestions on it.

thanks

Sandra :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Whats your budget or how much are you prepared to spend? I can't imagine the 2 horse lorry would be cheap to buy, in comparison to the horsebox which will cost you in the region of 4-5k.
    When you say 3.5t, is that the unlaiden weight, without the horses? I would research it a good bit more, get your insurance quotes, check out your licence etc..For 2 horses, i know if it were me, i'd be sticking with the horsebox as i'm sure it'd work out cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

the 2 horse lorries i've seen are between in the region of 7-9,000. I know the box would be 4-5 and then something to pull it after that.

i'm just wondering in the long run which would be more affordable.

The lorries i'm looking at are 3.5 with horses in them. I can drive one of them on my driving licence.

some people say horses travel better in the lorries. but i don't know because i've no experience in it.

thanks for your comment

Sandra

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was wrangling with this question myself for ages.

I eventually decided I dont really need a big double horsebox so I've opted for a single and I'm getting a big economical diesel estate with which to pull it. Couldnt face the idea of commuting in a jeep at all. The estate I'm hoping to buy should give me mpg in the 50s (as opposed to best case scenario of 30 for a jeep).

i dunno i'm a bit weary of single box's. they just seem very narrow and tall for me.

I've looked at 2 horse lorries in england and northern ireland. but i don't know how much VRT would be on them.

THe idea of having everything in one vehicle i.e horses, tack and me! just appeals to me. I don't want to do another test for the horsebox and that is my main reason for looking.

there pro's and con's of both i guess

Tbh, I can't see the logic in getting a horse lorry.

They are a lot of hassle and extra expense, and with a car / jeep you get the same storage space.

The box must also be less 3.5tn laiden so a couple of decent size horses will problably push a solid box over the limit and I would be wary of getting a light box.

• Advertisement

maybe your right

its just i'd have to do another test to drive with the box, and petrol/diesel wise there can't be that much difference.

You may not have to do a test with a single box, car combo. Its clear as mud.

Also single boxes distribute the weight better if you are just carrying one horse. apparently. I know someone who turned over a double with one horse in it going over a ramp.

no a single box wouldn't work for me - plus its double axle so you would need a test.

sometimes i'd need to transport a mare and foal and other times it might just to be go for a hack or say hunting in the winter.

i think i'd be waisting money on a single. if i have to get a box it'll have to be a double.

theres a very good old thread on 3.5 T boxes and their benefits and pitfalls. I think if I were going that way I'd want to be spending a lot of money on one. The mtms are lovely but expensive.

oh do you have a link to the old thread or how would i find it?

thanks fits

• Advertisement

use the 'search this forum' for 3.5T and it should come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 eegeet

If you are getting a 3.5T lorry, be very careful of the weight if you intend to carry 2 horses. There are actually very few of them that will actually come in under the weight fully laden. The Theault has one of the best payloads, but they are very expensive.

As you probably know, the difference between the GVW and the unladen weight is known as the payload — the amount you can legally carry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

If you have a VAT number or if you can borrow one, then i'd head up the North and buy a new horse box there. With the change in the exchange rate and the VAT number you will get yourself a 505 or 506 for under 4K. I can PM you the details of the agent we've dealt with up there if you like. It is worth it as you will save money. I'm changing my 505 hopefully in a month or 2 for the new 506. my current 505 is only 3 years old this summer and if i can get €4k for it i can cover the cost of the new box. This what we also did for the current box we have - i sold my last 505 for €3300, got a VAT number, but 3 years ago the change in gbp wasnt as good value, but in spite of it another €550 got me my new box, so we didnt do too badly either.
    That aside, even if you don't want to go for the horsebox, but the van, then shop around up the North. Personally though, if i was to buy a horse lorry i would invest in one that would carry more than 2 horses and that would have some day living area for comfort.

yeah i think i'm going to have a look up the north-

just so i'm sure if the unladen weight on the DOE/MOT certificate is a good bit under 3.5Tonne and i know the weight of my horses would that be a good enough estimate of the laden weight?

thanks for all the posts.

+ tack, gear and you!

ah yeah but sure i'm tiny and how much will two saddles weigh in fairness! you'd hardly be done for overweight by 8 stone!

would you...

Feed, water, tack, jackets, passengers etc!

It may add up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 eegeet

Wicked wrote: »
    yeah i think i'm going to have a look up the north-

just so i'm sure if the unladen weight on the DOE/MOT certificate is a good bit under 3.5Tonne and i know the weight of my horses would that be a good enough estimate of the laden weight?

thanks for all the posts.

It is surprising how much the extra weights add up. Don't forget that a full tank of diesel weighs a bit as well. When the lorries are weighed for the unladen weight - this is normally done with everything including the spare wheel removed.

The best thing to do, is to add up the weight of everything you intend to carry, and then estimate what the unladen weight needs to be.

Just a quick update, i bought a horsebox instead of a lorry.

so happy travelling is ahead.. i hope :) thanks for all the comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Just a quick update, i bought a horsebox instead of a lorry.

so happy travelling is ahead.. i hope :) thanks for all the comments
    If you dont mind me asking did you buy north or south of the border?? What kind of money we taking for a 2nd hand box??

• Advertisement

lester76 wrote: »
    If you dont mind me asking did you buy north or south of the border?? What kind of money we taking for a 2nd hand box??

Hi ya,

Its a 510 ifor williams, september 2007 box. It only has the front half of the division and i bought it in the south of ireland, cost me €3900

do you think that was expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Hi ya,

Its a 510 ifor williams, september 2007 box. It only has the front half of the division and i bought it in the south of ireland, cost me €3900

do you think that was expensive?
    I would have no idea wicked,have been looking and they all seem pretty expensive to me:D you would think in these resessionary time's they be going on the cheap,but oh no not so:rolleyes:

lester76 wrote: »
    I would have no idea wicked,have been looking and they all seem pretty expensive to me:D you would think in these resessionary time's they be going on the cheap,but oh no not so:rolleyes:

I thought that was ok, the 510's are expensive new. And it was only a year and a half old. A friend of mine bought a 505, the old style ones in very good condition, alluminium floor, rubber mats divisions, and he paid 2000 for it, but i'd say its 9 or 10 yrs old if not more.

Donedeal, buyandsell and local trader's are good to look in, you'll know yourself the price your willing to pay.

The way i looked at it is that a good box if kept right holds its value, and i'll have this for a long time, its not something i'll be changing annually. I'd say the one i bought was only used a handfull of times.

anyway hope that was a help - i ranted a bit there :D

Advertisement