Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place to buy Seeds etc

Options
  • 17-02-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any recomendations on best place to get Value for money for Vegatable seeds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

not sure about value for money but www.suttons.com have a great range and they deliver. they recommend certain seeds depending on what youre looking for. Might be worth taking a look at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

I would not discount anywhere. I would look in most places, Tescos, Woodies etc, and see what varieties they have and see the price difference between them all. Some will have the same varieties but may also have a few extra that may be worth looking at depending on what sort of crop you are looking for.

Now is the time to 'window shop' if you like and check what seeds you have from last year and if they are still in date.

Also, if something did not work for you last time, might be a good idea to try something different or at least a different variety.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I usually buy mine in B&Q because there's a branch near me and they stock a large range.
    someone put THIS link up before for buying online but I've never used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭logger

If you are looking for more unusual seeds try seed savers

http://www.irishseedsavers.ie/

You can get some great varieties and do your bit to support Biodiversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

Just on that point. I have a number of seed packets that were opened last year but not all the seeds were used and were tightly packed again. If this seeds are still withing the 'use by' date, should they be alright to plant out this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

LIDL are good; smaller packets too.

And try the seeds from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Ding Dong wrote: »
    Just on that point. I have a number of seed packets that were opened last year but not all the seeds were used and were tightly packed again. If this seeds are still withing the 'use by' date, should they be alright to plant out this year?

Yes the seeds will be fine.
    I have even used a year after the use by date and most of them came up.

The use by date is there to cover them, but the seeds do tend to go off over time, so the more time passes the lower the germination rate you will get from the seeds.

Advertisement