Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of changing broadband provider

Options
  • 17-02-2009 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was thinking of changing my Broadband/phone provider. I am currently on BT "Broadband and Total Talk" option 1 which is 1Mb with 10GB allowance. I want to increase this to 3Mb and get a 30GB allowance.

I was thinking of changing to Perlico. If I upgrade my BT to Option 2 it would cost €56.18 per month. If I go over to Perlico and take their "Freedom Plus" it would set me back €51. That's around €60 annual savings straight away. I think that I would also save around €2 month on calls. So price wise Perlico is the winner.

I have never had any trouble with my BT connection so I'd have to say I'm happy with their service. Would I be right in saying that I shouldn't have any trouble with Perlico either because they are just reselling eircom BB like BT?

Any Perlico horror stories re: billing, etc?

I can't get Smart cos it's not available in my area (Portarlington). Any other providers I should consider?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

OK. I'll take that as a "no horror stories".

Could someone tell me if I am wasting my time trying to go to 3Mb. Will my line be able to support it?

Statistics:

Downstream Upstream
    Line Attenuation 41 db 12 db
    Noise Margin 16 db 17 db

Does line attenuation on the downstream look fierce high?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

h8red wrote: »
    OK. I'll take that as a "no horror stories".

Could someone tell me if I am wasting my time trying to go to 3Mb. Will my line be able to support it?

Statistics:

Downstream Upstream
    Line Attenuation 41 db 12 db
    Noise Margin 16 db 17 db

Does line attenuation on the downstream look fierce high?

That attenuation is poor but not disastrous, it'll take 3 megs easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Thanks Spear. As long as it'll take the 3 I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

When canceling BT, write to them by registered post. Ring them after you have confirmed delivery, and make sure they're acting on your request. Pay out your notice period, which is 14 days, and cancel your direct debit by writing to your bank. Do NOT assume BT will cancel this for you.

Perlico have been known to have issues with customer service, though none nearly as bad as BT.

Keep records of everything you do. Write down names of everyone you speak to on the phone, and good luck.

Advertisement