Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in Achill Island?

Options
  • 17-02-2009 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Has anyone gone surfing on Achill Island? Is it any good? Heading there at the weekend and want to do a bit. Is there somewhere to rent gear there (I am not a comlpete beginner but do not have my own gear)

Also, I know I can use websites to check the conditions but what specifically should i be looking for in these conditions? Wind? Swell?

Thanks for any advice you can provide :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

you wont be able to rent gear in achill as far as i know, there is a guy who does but i think he only does it in the summer. do a google for achill surfing and achill tourism.

http://www.achilltourism.com/bandb-3.html#stella

http://www.achill-surf.com/

had them in my history. the surf shop in louisberg might give you a board for the weekend, give emmett a call.

cant really advise on the conditions as i am still trying to figure out what works for where in achill, apart from the obvious off shore wind. i assume you are familiar with magicseaweed.com?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

You could try ringing the Outdoor center and asking if you can rent the gear. Hes prolly not doing much with it this time of year - although Id imagine youd have to pay a hefty deposit. Keel will be freezing as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

ya, a suit will be your biggest problem i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 abcjonesy

Hi,

Not exactly sure of wind and swell conditions required myself but there is some info for 3no. surf spots in Achill in this google map which should help.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055303417

You would definelty need to ring the local surf instructors or shops in Achill to arrange gear before you head to Achill. I was in Achill last winter and no rental shops were open. There are a couple of local guys who instruct and give lessons so you'd probably get their number of the achill tourism site listed in the other reply.

If you are travelling from Dublin you can pick up a rental wetsuit in surfdock for the weekend(Docks/ringsend area). I wouldn't say they rent boards.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Woofer

Thanks for all the replies - good stuff.

I have heard of magicseaweed.com but i do not know what "good conditions are" so i find it hard to interpret. any tips?

here's the report im looking at, and im trying to decipher if it will be good or bad for the weekend

http://magicseaweed.com/Achill-Island-Surf-Report/685/

Also, if anyone has any recommendations of anywhere else to go in this region i have the car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Hey Woofer....

there is actully detailed (almost too detailed) info on Magicseaweed which explains wave creation and conditions.

in brief good surf = off shore or no winds + decent swell period (@10+ sec) and swell

With fairly strong NW winds and some hefty swell coming in I reckon you'd need to find some where on the N/E side of Achill, at least that way you'd get shelter from the large swell and will give you O/S conditions...

buy alas, I have no idea of any breaks up around there, best to try contact local school and see what they can tell ya...

Oh with regard to travelling... I reckon everywhere else in the region will most likely to be blown out... there are very few places that will give rideable waves with those NW winds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 suzr

Achill is usually blown out this time of year. Wouldn't recommend it. Head to Louisburg instead- might get rental in the surf shop there.

Advertisement