Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prices per kilo in a convenience store - misleading

Options
  • 17-02-2009 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of comparing the prices of similar grocery items by the price per kilo displayed on the shelf-edge label. However, I noticed something odd in a store I was in the other day. The prices of everything were displayed as a price per GRAM and not per KILO, and were rounded out to nearest cent. This made it impossible to compare the prices and completely defeats the purpose.

For example, lets say we have two bars of 100g chocolate, priced at €1.79 and €2.29

The prices should say:

€1.79 - €17.90 per kilo
    €2.29 - €22.90 per kilo

But they were actually stated as:

€1.79 - €0.02 per gram
    €2.29 - €0.02 per gram

See what I mean?

Before I go back into the store and complain, I want to get my facts straight - is it actually law to dispaly the prices of these items per kilo, or is it at the discretion of the shopkeeper?

Robbie

Advertisement