Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incontinent dog

Options
  • 17-02-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I need some advice about my 12yr old spayed Shepherd bitch, for the past 6 mths or so, she's been wetting herself almost constantly, I've brought her to the vet but there's nothing wrong with her physically, (although the vet reckons it could just be her age and the fact that she's spayed) when she's laying down she ends up with a small puddle at her rear end, even when she's standing she drips a little, when I get the mop to clean it up she gets a bit stressed and heads for the back door, its almost like she's embarrassed about it, I don't shout or fight with her about it as I don't believe she realises it happening until its to late. Problem is, my house is starting to smell of dog wee. I also have a 7yr old male dobie and he's now starting to mark inside, almost as though, if she can do it, I can too syndrome. Both dogs stay outside during the day and are exercised daily.
    Anybody got any advice????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Hi

First off I am not a vet.

I have heard of this a few times before and it is usually the first signs of kidney failure and the beginning of the end I'm afraid.

Best of luck with it and I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Thats what I was thinking too, but in every other way she's absolutely fine, really healthy. It doesn't happen when we're out walking as she relieves herself at every tree, bush etc. Before I bring them in for the evening, I take her for a short walk and then she's fine in the house for an hour or so before the problem starts. Its almost like her bladder has shrunk or something, but because its happening during the day when she's outside and doesn't realise its happening, she's laying in it. She has a smell of wee on her and obviously I can't bathe her everyday. Its dreadful and I feel so bad for her. I'm not sure what I can do apart from taking her out for a walk every hour or so but thats not always possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Well it happens to a lot of old people i really hope it's just because of older age, best of luck anyway!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

You can get a tablet to treat urinary incontinence I can't remember what it's called. It could be caused by a UTI or stones. There'a an injection she can get to help if it's caused by the spay. Don't assume it's kidney failure because of her age - it mightn't be, the only way to tell is by doing kidney function tests - I think you need to take her to the vet.

I've just had her out for a walk and she had a swim in the lake so that will solve the problem for and hour or two and the wee smell is gone for now. Lol, I just wish there was a way to help her (and my house) on a more long term basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Has the vet suggested trying her on something like Propalin? http://www.vetoquinolusa.com/pages/pro_propalin.html
    It is commonly used for incontinent dogs! Has he done a kidney blood panel on her also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

If her incontinence is incurable, I would reccommend using these: http://www.pantsfordogs.com/products_panties.php you simply put a sanitary towel inside and replace it everytime she wets. I know a few people who use these on their dogs and think they are brilliant.

Good Luck!

Has the vet suggested trying her on something like Propalin? http://www.vetoquinolusa.com/pages/pro_propalin.html
    It is commonly used for incontinent dogs! Has he done a kidney blood panel on her also?

Thanks Anniehoo, I've checked out the site and this could very well be what she (and my floor) needs, I take her to the vet tomorrow and request the kidney blood panel and ask him to order in the Propalin and see how we get on with that.
    Thanks everyone for all the advice, its great to be able to come on here and get help with problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

We use baby pull ups with a hole cut in for the tail; they are cheaper.
    merryhappy wrote: »
    If her incontinence is incurable, I would reccommend using these: http://www.pantsfordogs.com/products_panties.php you simply put a sanitary towel inside and replace it everytime she wets. I know a few people who use these on their dogs and think they are brilliant.

Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Proplain, that's it! It comes in tablet or syrup form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement