Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultimate Frisbee in CIT

• 17-02-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭

Ultimate Frisbee is one of a new breed of fast growing sports in Ireland.

For those of you (probably all!) who think that a frisbee is something that you throw to your dog on a beach in July, I recommend checking out the following Youtube vid for a rough idea of what a game of Ultimate looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMoj_9wtgec&feature=related

This sport, like soccer, hurling, rugby etc demands a reasonably high level of fitness, composure and skill.

UCC (where I am a fresher who just started playing this year) boasts a strong Ultimate team. In fact, most third level colleges have teams, UL, NUIG, Trinity, DCU, UCD, DIT, ITT, etc etc.

I cannot speak too highly of my experience of this sport in the 6 months that I've been playing; my personal fitness is through the roof and the craic is great at tournaments. The people you meet at these events (which are held quite regularly, tournaments vary from intervarsities to open internationals) are for the most part just like you and me, although there are always some eccentrics about the place!

Basically, if any of ye CIT guys or girls would be interested in setting up a CIT Ultimate Frisbee team, give a reply to this thread and we'll try get some wheels rolling.

Cheers.

For more information

http://www.irishultimate.com/beginners/what_is.php

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

My buddy plays this over in Edinburgh, told me about the game over Christmas and i thought it was great! I would seriously consider playing it in cit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah, a friend of mine that goes to UL is very into it! I'd do it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

very good stuff !

Talk to yer friends about it, and flick through youtube to get more of an idea of the flow, gameplay and methods etc if you want to.

If more interest is shown here, or if either of ye find a few folk with a similar mindset, pm me or something and we'll start something concrete.

If you want to check out your local Ultimate team, come along to watch a UCC training session, pm for details.

Good to hear the interest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brillianthenry

its not a real sport!! reprezentin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

i tried to sign up for this in 1st year cos i used to go and play with my buddy down with the UCC team...but there was no ultimate frisbee society at cit..so i just got him to sign me up for the UCC team, great fun and good exercise.

i remember wanting to throw up after the first warm ups :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

aaronh007 wrote: »
    i tried to sign up for this in 1st year cos i used to go and play with my buddy down with the UCC team...but there was no ultimate frisbee society at cit..so i just got him to sign me up for the UCC team, great fun and good exercise.

i remember wanting to throw up after the first warm ups :(

Yeah, I remember at the start of the year i hadn't done much exercise (besides my K.U.S.I exploits BrilliantHenry!) and it was pretty tiring, but nowadays after the few months I'm as fit as a fiddle, it's great not going out of breath walking up the hill to UCC from western road!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

I'd be well up for it, and I know one or two of the lads in my class would be too. If ye're looking for numbers, we're the boys. But if you're looking for athletes... :o

Send me a PM with the details...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 caoiwi

just wondering if anyone is from wexford, and interested in setting up an ultimate frisbee team? Summer without ultimate wont be fun :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

caoiwi wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone is from wexford, and interested in setting up an ultimate frisbee team? Summer without ultimate wont be fun :(

From wexico but absolutely no interest in playing frisbee :|

Advertisement