Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

was watching Q&A last night

Options
  • 17-02-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭

I only caught the Q about third world aid, and I was on the verge of thorwing my shoe at the TV having to listen to people justify how they want to spend other peoples money when there is a good chance we are going to have a hot and heavy date with the financial markets in the coming years.
    Given that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, is the dead hand of the state and the various vested interests determined to bring everyone down with them

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

These philantro-pissheads don't live in the real world, don't need to worry about paying bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

silverharp wrote: »
    there is a good chance we are going to have a hot and heavy date with the financial markets in the coming years.

Id prefer that to a hot and heavy date with starvation, civil war and disease.

And id prefer that to knowing that I didnt help those who need money more than I do. So what if you cant replace your three year old microwave, get a grip on your priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

turgon wrote: »

And id prefer that to knowing that I didnt help those who need money more than I do. So what if you cant replace your three year old microwave, get a grip on your priorities.

Firstly I'm not convinced it does much good in the big picture sense, 50 years of aid hasnt helped the continent , but thats an argument for another day.

Whats micowaves got to do with anything?, I'm talking about the country being taken seriously by the international financial community , yet we have people like David Begg talking about ring fencing foreign aid. What else has to be ring fenced, ye'll will be waiting for the IMF to come with a set of wire cutters:pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Fianna Fáil don't think there's any poor people in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

yet we have people like David Begg talking about ring fencing foreign aid. What else has to be ring fenced
    His six-figure salary perhaps?

Although I don't agree with Joe Higgins, I really do admire that while he was a TD, he would only accept the average industrial wage for the job and not the standard TD salary. That's principal for ye.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

turgon wrote: »

So where do you suppose the line should be drawn? Why don't we contribute more foreign aid?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

As bad as we think things are, we're not starving to death or watching our babies die in front of our very eyes... I'm happy to continue giving my money to charity and I believe the Government, as our representatives, also have a role to play in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

If the Government can throw away billions of Euro to the banks so that the fat cats and the developer cronies will be looked after, what is the problem with foreign aid when it goes to a worthy cause and may save lives and give some unfortunate peoples a future. Money well spent IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭SeanW

+1 besides our foreign aid is tied to GDP. That means GDP falls (which it will) we spend less on foreign aid. There are far bigger wastes of money going on closer to home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    If the Government can throw away billions of Euro to the banks so that the fat cats and the developer cronies will be looked after, what is the problem with foreign aid when it goes to a worthy cause and may save lives and give some unfortunate peoples a future. Money well spent IMO.

i dont trust the goverment to spend my money efficently beit on the public sector ( they pay them too much in return for votes ) or on overseas aid , i much perfer the option of making private donations to the likes of goal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Is there anywhere I can get this program online ?,rte website doesn't seem to have much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    These philantro-pissheads don't live in the real world, don't need to worry about paying bills…
    …says the guy who has time to post on an internet discussion forum.
    Firstly I'm not convinced it does much good in the big picture sense, 50 years of aid hasnt helped the continent , but thats an argument for another day.
    That’s a pretty big brush you’re sweeping with there. While there are undoubtedly areas of the world which do not seem to have benefited much (if at all) from foreign aid, there are others that have been roaring successes. But as you say, that’s another debate.
    K4t wrote: »
    Fianna Fáil don't think there's any poor people in Ireland.
    You’re comparing apples and oranges there. The old “we shouldn’t be donating foreign aid while we have poor people in our own country” argument doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. There are ALWAYS going to be poor people in Ireland, for a variety of reasons. That’s not to say that we shouldn’t do our utmost to alleviate the problem, but cutting foreign aid is not the solution.
    Soldie wrote: »
    So where do you suppose the line should be drawn? Why don't we contribute more foreign aid?
    As far as I am aware, we have made a commitment to donate 0.7% of GDP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

I think we spend too much money on foreign aid and it's time for us to cut back. With the state of the nation's finances we can't afford to be spending hundreds of millions each year on people on the other side of the world who should be able to support themselves.

djpbarry wrote:
    That’s a pretty big brush you’re sweeping with there. While there are undoubtedly areas of the world which do not seem to have benefited much (if at all) from foreign aid, there are others that have been roaring successes.

Can you give any examples of those roaring successes?

djpbarry wrote:
    You’re comparing apples and oranges there. The old “we shouldn’t be donating foreign aid while we have poor people in our own country” argument doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. There are ALWAYS going to be poor people in Ireland, for a variety of reasons. That’s not to say that we shouldn’t do our utmost to alleviate the problem, but cutting foreign aid is not the solution.

100 million taken out of foreign aid could go a long way towards improving education, health and job-training support in some of the most deprived parts of this country. Not only that but money invested in this country will be spent in this country and will benefit the economy. Foreign Aid on the other hand is money taken out of our economy.

djpbarry wrote:
    As far as I am aware, we have made a commitment to donate 0.7% of GDP.

Did we? When?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Just watched it all there. I was shocked, Conor Lenihan didn't do half as badly as I expected him to do.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

nesf wrote: »
    Just watched it all there. I was shocked, Conor Lenihan didn't do half as badly as I expected him to do.

Where are you viewing these things after they've aired? I say these things because I noticed you had seen Prime Time after it had aired too!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Soldie wrote: »
    Where are you viewing these things after they've aired? I say these things because I noticed you had seen Prime Time after it had aired too!

You can watch a lot of the RTE shows on their website. Some are restricted to Ireland only though.

The Q&A site: http://www.rte.ie/news/qanda/

I rarely watch the news, Prime Time or Questions and Answers live these days. You'll need Realplayer to view them btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

O'Morris wrote: »
    With the state of the nation's finances we can't afford to be spending hundreds of millions each year on people on the other side of the world who should be able to support themselves.
    That’s a touch naive, don’t you think?
    Can you give any examples of those roaring successes?
    There’s a pretty good summary of the situation in the developing world (both positives and negatives) as a whole here.
    100 million taken out of foreign aid could go a long way towards improving education, health and job-training support in some of the most deprived parts of this country.
    The argument that more money could be spent on x, y and z is a given. There’s always room for improvement in these services. But if we take this to it’s logical conclusion, then we wouldn’t be spending anything at all on foreign aid.
    Did we? When?
    We certainly did:
    Ireland administers a significant overseas aid programme through a variety of forums and has pledged itself to meet the UN target of 0.7% of GDP spent on aid by 2012.
    http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-the-fco/country-profiles/europe/ireland?profile=intRelations&pg=4

Advertisement