Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerial Photographs - Pricing Advice

Options
  • 17-02-2009 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi,

As part of a wider project, i have hired a photographer and helicopter and had a large collection of aerial photographs of my local area taken. This include photos of the town centre as well as scenic shots of local landmarks and attactions.

I now want to make framed copies of these available for sale but have no idea how much i should charge for each photo. I know what my costs will be in terms of printing, mounting and framing but how much should i charge for the image itself so that i can make back some of the costs of originally getting them taken.

I don't want to overprice them and prevent people purchasing them and i dont want to underprice them and make very little on them. For example, if my cost of framing a particular size is €50, then what would be a fair price to sell at.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks,
    damoth

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

A = The costs of taking them.

B = How many you think will sell.

C = Printing & Framing costs

D = Profit

A/B + C + D = Price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

How big are the framed shots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

May I ask how much it roughly costs to hire out a helicopter for something like this? Would love to do this some day...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What is the issue with rights?
    Did the original photographer know you planned to sell the photos at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'd be interested to find out more on this as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭damoth

Thanks guys but none the wiser yet...

@ CabanSail - I know A and C, no idea for B and dont know what D is. The photos were not taken purely to sell. I am using them for promotional purposes and am just hoping to sell some to make back some of the costs.

@ Borderfox - I'll offer a few different sizes with the largest being 12x18. I'll only get the printed and framed as they are ordered.

@ gary82 - 1hr cost around 1028 inc VAT for a 3 passenger seater (Pilot is 4th person). Unfortunately, i couldnt get off work that day so i didnt get to go. You can hire a 1 passenger too for a few hundred cheaper.

@ Mellor - Photographer was fully aware of all my plans before the trip and gave me full ownership of the images. I also got full permission from the relevant authorities for the landmarks photographed as National Monuments require permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

if you need some help with the printing and mounting etc

give me a shout, i can print on demand for you

Advertisement