Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left cash at ATM

Options
  • 17-02-2009 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I stupidly walked away from an ATM at lunchtime and never took the money! (I know very stupid - am totally distracted today!!)

So I rang 24hr banking and they said the money would be credited back to my account if no-one else took it. I know there was a queue behind me so I guess someone could have taken the cash. Is there any way I can claim the money back if someone else took it?

Not sure if it matters but I am with AIB and it was an AIB ATM in Liffey Valley.

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Unfortunately if someone else took the money, then it's tough bananas. Generally the atm has a time delay and if the money isn't taken within this time it is retracted back into the machine. Hopefully that's what happened with you, but if someone else took it there's nothing you can do.

edit: don't feel stupid about it, you wouldn't believe the amount of people who do this every day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Thansk Toots! Having a nightmare day including nice scratch to the car in liffey valley after atm incident!!
    I guess it could be worse!

Congrats on soon to be Mrs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Was it much?

60 quid, which on my wages is alot to me

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Cutie_pc wrote: »
    Thansk Toots! Having a nightmare day including nice scratch to the car in liffey valley after atm incident!!
    I guess it could be worse!

Congrats on soon to be Mrs!

Thanks!

Hopefully your day gets better and you get a phone call over the next few days saying the cash wasn't taken and you'll get it back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I once witnessed this so I can confirm you're not the only one. I was the next person in the queue after someone walked away from the ATM without taking his money. I thought about pocketing the money for a minute but it was only €20 and I thought I'd do the honest thing. However, I did have to chase the guy all the way down the street to give him his money back and had to queue up again. There weren't too many people in front of me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ive walked past a beeping atm before, looked and the card was waiting to be removed as soon as i did the money popped out. Lucky enough i knew the name on the card. The face on her when i gave it to her,,, priceless :D

The other side, i walked away without taking cashback in a shop before which was annoying. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Did this myself once - luckily I worked in the shop where the ATM was and it was only a 20, but still a pain wondering whether the cash was nicked :(

I got it back but wasn't busy, dunno how many people were floating round the atm for you. Hopefully nobody was a money whore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

davton wrote: »
    The face on her when i gave it to her,,, priceless :D

There's somethings money can't buy...

Flyer28 wrote: »
    There's somethings money can't buy...

It wasnt a mastercard :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

There will be a report in the bank and it will say if the money was received by someone or retracted by the machine. If its not the latter im afraid ur at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Ehh, if it makes you feel better, I once joined the queue in AIB O'Connell Street (a year and a half ago) with an envelope containing about €1300 in fifties. After about 10 seconds, I decided it wasn't worth waiting in a queue of 40 people or so and left.
    Then, hours later, I couldn't find the envelope anywhere at home and eventually realised that I must have left it on a counter in AIB :rolleyes:

At the time, that was a month's wages for me... never saw it again, AIB said nobody handed it in. Maybe I should've asked them to search the CCTV, but I only went back to them a week later. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I know a woman who makes sure to check every single ATM she passes. Over the years she's got hundreds out of it!

Can't believe the person behind you didn't tell you. Even if I was the kind of person to take the money, I'd be afraid that the person who left it there would realise soon enough and know that I took it, seeing as I was next in line!

I know a woman who makes sure to check every single ATM she passes. Over the years she's got hundreds out of it!

Which she hands in to the bank of course!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Davy wrote: »
    Which she hands in to the bank of course!!!!!!!
    If it's a stand alone ATM how would she know what bank to give it to?

If it's a stand alone ATM how would she know what bank to give it to?

Any one of the branches of that the atm belonged too.

Can't believe the person behind you didn't tell you. Even if I was the kind of person to take the money, I'd be afraid that the person who left it there would realise soon enough and know that I took it, seeing as I was next in line!

+1. Would have loved to have been behind the person that took it and called you back when they'd put the money in their pocket.

hi all,
    Thanks for all your advice, just to let you after filling in a dispute form in the bank the money was lodged back into my account.
    Again thanks for all your advice

Advertisement