Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AUL Changing To Summer Football?

• 17-02-2009 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Ok lets face it everyone is asking the question because of the amount of games that have to be played due to Irelands very poor weather.To put everyones mind at ease The aul are putting astro parks all over the place alot r going into st anns park so this back log wont happen again.What do you think of this?On another note the AUL have signed a new deal with umbro and this will mean that every cup and league match will HAVE. to be played with an umbro ball.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Where are they being built in St Annes Park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think it's a very good idea.

The first step to bringing the top level of football in this country, and those below, into line with each other.

Having said that, I don't like to see "real" football moving to synthetic surfaces.

On the Umbro thing. So what, if Umbro are going to be supplying the balls, surely that's a good thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭G-Virus

Yea its good its jus i heard umbro balls are more expensive to buy thats probably why only 2 people put up their hands in favour at the meeting.The answer to the question is it supposed to be all over st anns. One thing is for sure it would be a pitch improvement :)

If Umbro are sponsoring the competition, surely to god they will be supplying the balls etc?

The answer to your question is yes 2 per club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I far prefer summer football, dehydration beats playing on a cold winters day hands down.

So, they keep the Umbro matchballs for matchday, and go about their business as usual, using whatever Mitre, Nike or whatever balls they normally use.

What's wrong with that?

Two balls per club though, that's a bit cheap isn't it?

What else are they providing for their name being plastered all over the place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

It's a joke that all football in this country isn't summre football, given the weather. This is a good move and i hope the LSL follow suit although if Dick Redmond has anything to do with deal it'll probably go belly up. Redmond couldn't run a bath let alone the AUL.

Well its not that much of a big deal. Yea two balls is a bit cheap.I would actually like to see how the whole summer football would have turned out.

Des wrote: »
    If Umbro are sponsoring the competition, surely to god they will be supplying the balls etc?

Yes they will buy brand new kits for the winners of premier a,b,c and senior saturday. Also the winning team in the leagues will get a holiday but i think this gaurntee yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

I would have liked to see how the summer football would have went too but alternative will probably be better in the long run. Just as long as they do go ahead and build these astro pitches and its not just all hot air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anto McC wrote: »
    It's a joke that all football in this country isn't summre football, given the weather.

We're harldy the worst country, climate wise, that has winter football.

The UK manage just fine in the same climate.

Summer footbal means that teams could potentially be without groups of players for a couple of weeks at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Summer football is a better alternative than astro pitches to be honest. Playing on grass is the way it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

i'm all for summer football, but there are variety of reasons why it wont happen imo.

- summer holidays for players and far more importantly for referees, officials, organisers, etc. this is especially important at junior/schoolboy level.
    - park space is given precedent to Tag Rugby, women's football and other "summer activities" most football pitch rentals finish on 1st may on account of this.
    - fixture scheduling has taken weather problems into account. if all games did get played on time everytime in amatuer football in the current calander your season would finishin january. This is reasonably easily fixed or at least seasons will need to be artificially extended. you can make new leagues and cups etc, but you cant just create 100+ new football clubs.

if i think of more, i'll add them. i hope ot does happen, but if it does it is years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Summer football is a better alternative than astro pitches to be honest. Playing on grass is the way it should be.

The only reason I think the astro might be a better option is the fact that games won't be getting called of every week and we wouldn't have this back log of games again like we do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

G-Virus wrote: »
    To put everyones mind at ease The aul are putting astro parks all over the place alot r going into st anns park so this back log wont happen again.

The AUL are putting in astro pitches all over the place? Is this Dick Redmond trying to gain credit for someone elses work? The FAI are putting astro pitches in the AUL complex, it will be the local authority that are putting in all-weathers in all over the place apparently 8 full size around dublin,first went into irishtown. They wont have exclusive use to AUL clubs. Summer soccer may happen in the AUL cant see it ever following in the LSL. I would be shocked if the likes of Ballymun/killester etc were in favour of summer soccer as it would be an obstacle in the way of the junior cups, they'd have no competitive matches just as them cups get going. The LSL teams have played plenty of games despite one of the wettest winters in a while. Also with 20 odd team have floodights and more on the way the leagues are getting shorter as more teams play mid week throughout the season. If it is a problem then all they have to do is reduce division sizes further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

micks wrote: »
    The AUL are putting in astro pitches all over the place? Is this Dick Redmond trying to gain credit for someone elses work?

Sounds like Dick Redmond alright.
    The FAI are putting astro pitches in the AUL complex, it will be the local authority that are putting in all-weathers in all over the place apparently 8 full size around dublin,first went into irishtown

The All Weather pitch in Irishtown was built as part of the agreement of the FAI getting the UEFA cup final in Lansdowne road.

Advertisement