Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best On-Campus Accomodation

Options
  • 17-02-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

What is the best on campus accomodation in DCU or would you advise me to go off campus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Take a read of this topic to help you decide: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055359748

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

College Park Deluxe!

If you can't get that - College Park.

I lived on campus for all of my four years in college and I was in a different one each year - Larkfield (1st yr), Hampstead (2nd yr), College Park (3rd yr), College Park Deluxe (4th yr).

At the end of 2nd yr, we were told that College Park would be opening the year after so in 3rd yr I was living in a brand new lovely apartment, twas great. At the end of that yr, they had College Park Deluxe ready so again in fourth yr I was in a brand new even better apartment!

Larkfield is horrible, urgh. Hampstead is ok. College Park is really nice. As for Deluxe - ALL the bedrooms have king-sized beds rather than the standard single beds in the other apartments (well in Hampstead and College Park there is one room with a double bed, all the others have single beds). Also in deluxe, we were provided with a TV in every bedroom (wasn't provided in any other year I lived in DCU), there was also a phone in every bedroom (all the other types have a phone in the living room area).

I lived in Shanowen when I did my INTRA during the summer of third year, it was alright, I mean twas grand but I loved on campus accom. Yes they are rules but sure ya just have to live with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Paddy-Megans-Lo

it's obvious that college park is the 'best' of the on-campus facilities offered. But depends on how much you want to spend and after that,whether you even get a place or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Go off campus and save yourself at least 100€ a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Shiny wrote: »
    Go off campus and save yourself at least 100€ a month.

Would you really save money off campus?? And what is the name of the student residencies across from shays and spar and that gay bingo hall (or are they student residences???:confused:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Some of the newer on campus places are more than 500/month.

I'm paying 400/month for a new apt in Ballymun (15min walk)

With the amount of places available to rent now, it is definitely
    possible to get places for lower than 400/month.

That place across from the bingo hall, (In Whitehall ?) are student
    residences all right but I have only seen them advertised on daft.

There is another place across the road from DCU also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Shiny wrote: »
    Some of the newer on campus places are more than 500/month.

I'm paying 400/month for a new apt in Ballymun (15min walk)

With the amount of places available to rent now, it is definitely
    possible to get places for lower than 400/month.

That place across from the bingo hall, (In Whitehall ?) are student
    residences all right but I have only seen them advertised on daft.

There is another place across the road from DCU also.

Ye in whitehall

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Are you coming into first year? Cuz then you won't get college park you'll get larkfield or there's a small chance you'll get hampstead, but that's all (unless you have a scholarship).

And if I knew what larkfield was like I'd not have applied in a million years. Smallest possible living space, including no living room, retarded heating, retarded fines, poo bah... :mad:

If the accom thread showed a pic of the rooms to sum it up . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

College Park is the best on campus but you will save in most places off campus.

and btw When do the applications for current students open for campus accomodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Diarmaid07

declan_lgs:

I quite like larkfield. Sure it's small, but it's all you need really - enough room to sleep, eat, and prop up a laptop/TV. Shure what more do you need? (there's ways around the shoddy heating)

You can easily fit 20 or so people (standing) in one room & the kitchen, also, so it's grand for the odd party. Most of my close friends I met due to them also living in larkfield, so it's a nice place to stay in first year - very social. Also, it helps being able to roll out of bed ten minutes before your two o clock lecture starts and still be on time :D

~e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Diarmaid07 wrote: »
    Most of my close friends I met due to them also living in larkfield, so it's a nice place to stay in first year - very social. Also, it helps being able to roll out of bed ten minutes before your two o clock lecture starts and still be on time :D

~e
    Aw yeah in that regard it rocks but otherwise imo it seems like it's designed to be the worst that it can be for this day and age.

And I don't like to pay for that.

Advertisement