Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stem Cells - yae or nay?

• 17-02-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

So, today while leaving for work, I saw a giant poster reading (paraphrased): "Stem cells have never been proven to hold any medical relevance. Ban stem cells". Following me almost crashing my bike in anger, I got into work and did a quick look up on why these billboards are appearing everywhere. Eventually, I found the following: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0210/1233867929764.html

€60,000 pumped into anti stem cell posters. From what I've seen, every poster also skews the truth in a large way. The main one they're flaunting is that there are 65 cures derived from adult stem cell research. David Prentice's opinions are debunked in the following article: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/1129987/DC1

Albiet Stem cells have long been in debate, I've found that every "serious" conversation I have around them often degenerates into Creationism vs Science. While I believe there should always be a moral ground when it comes to scientific research, I don't believe that "God will be mad" is a strong enough excuse to ban research on what is more than likely the largest medical breakthrough waiting to happen.

So boards, I ask you - Stem cells, yae or nay?

Mod edit:
    This thread is about stem cell research and not about abortion.
    If you would like to discuss abortion, then I suggest you go to the humanities forum.

Do you support stem cell research? 137 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    99%
    StephenMossy MonksceptreCrashseamusSpearDas KittyTelloxBottle_of_SmokeRuu_OldCreatureDempseykifferRabiesHelixStargalWossackJohnKAjosluckat 136 votes
    That's a nice turtle
    0%
    twinytwo 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

No
    Yaaaaay stem cells!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm a big fan of steam cells, 12", with sweat onion sauce (I had to try it yesterday, it's lovely) lettuce and peppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

No
    Yay for stem cells.

I'm almost tempted to vote yes in the lisbon re-vote (thats happening isnt it?) because youth defence support the no vote. They are asshats of the highest order!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Stem cell smoothie FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

No
    Yes.

Stem cell recearch, either from embryo or adult, is an incredible oppertunity to make huge gains in the treatment of many conditions. youth Defence are the greatest bunch of luddite gobdaws in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

No
    Ah, embryonic stem cell research. Yay, verily.

The Youth Defence group are twats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

No
    Yeah, they're useless

Link
    A 'blind' teenager has driven for the first time after stem cell treatment improved her sight.

Macie Morse, 16, was born legally blind but has now gained her learner driver permit – just like any other US teenager.
    'It was one of the most exciting times of my entire 16 years,' said the student.

She suffered optic nerve hypoplasia, in which the nerve transmitting visual signals to the brain is underdeveloped. She had 20/4,000 vision in one eye, meaning she could see at 6m (20ft) what the normal eye can see at 1,220m (4,000ft). In the other, the girl could only perceive light.
    But then her mother, Rochelle, found out on the web about a stem cell injection in China. Just ten people have had the £28,000 treatment.

In July last year, Macie spent six weeks receiving spinal injections of cord blood stem cells. After her third treatment, she said she could read. Macie now has 20/80 vision in one eye and 20/400-plus in the other. 'I always wondered what it would be like to see my friends,' said the girl, who lives in Fort Collins, Colorado.

No
    Tellox wrote: »

Albiet Stem cells have long been in debate, I've found that every "serious" conversation I have around them often degenerates into Creationism vs Science.

You come to after hours for a serious conversation?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

No
    Fad wrote: »
    Yay for stem cells.

I'm almost tempted to vote yes in the lisbon re-vote (thats happening isnt it?) because youth defence support the no vote. They are asshats of the highest order!
    +1 look at the Youth Defence leaders name Eoghan de Faoite
    I hate him already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Mena wrote: »
    Yeah, they're useless

Link

Why would you say they are useless, and then quote an article that proves the exact opposite? Why would you do such a thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

No
    **** God. Yes for Stemies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

No
    Why would you say they are useless, and then quote an article that proves the exact opposite? Why would you do such a thing?

Sarcasm: Sarcasm is stating the opposite of an intended meaning especially in order to sneeringly, slyly, jest or mock a person, situation or thing.

Yeah I know, Sarcasm + Internetwebz = ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 brozio

No
    So, today while leaving for work, I saw a giant poster reading (paraphrased): "Stem cells have never been proven to hold any medical relevance. Ban stem cells". Following me almost crashing my bike in anger, I got into work and did a quick look up on why these billboards are appearing everywhere. Eventually, I found the following: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0210/1233867929764.html

€60,000 pumped into anti stem cell posters. From what I've seen, every poster also skews the truth in a large way. The main one they're flaunting is that there are 65 cures derived from adult stem cell research. David Prentice's opinions are debunked in the following article: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/1129987/DC1

Albiet Stem cells have long been in debate, I've found that every "serious" conversation I have around them often degenerates into Creationism vs Science. While I believe there should always be a moral ground when it comes to scientific research, I don't believe that "God will be mad" is a strong enough excuse to ban research on what is more than likely the largest medical breakthrough waiting to happen.

I am currently doing a masters in stem cells is galway, the possible uses for stem cells is massive. the only reason the technology hasn't advanced as it should have is due to the ethics involved. Animal models have shown stem cells to be effective in treating everything from broken spinal cords, to heart attacks to parkinsons disease to name only three. Thankfully Obama has authorized the first clinical trial with embryonic stem cells in the US (on his 2nd day in office!) to treat spinal cord damage and hopefully this will really start the ball rolling in research.

i can see the reasoning behind the protest against human embryonic stem cells, but if you ask me the use of stem cells obtained from a embryo that was going to die anyway which are then used to give a paraplegic hope of walking again must be a good thing. incinerate the embyro once it has died (in the case where excess embryos are left over from fertility treatments ect.) or use it to try make someone walk again that never thought they would , its a no brainer for me.

we are still years away from seeing any embryonic stem cell treatments as there are many risks involved and challenges to overcome but the possibilities are massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

No
    The poster's information is incorrect, I think - look at this story, for a start:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3171993.stm

Last Updated: Monday, 25 August, 2003, 05:11 GMT 06:11 UK

Cell transplant restores vision

A blind man can see again after being given a stem cell transplant.

Mike May, of California, had been blind for 40 years since an accident at the age of three where he lost one eye and was blinded in the other.

During that time he had some ability to perceive light, but could not make out form or contrast.

He said he had no visual memories from his early childhood.

The operation transplanted corneal and limbal stem cells into his right eye.

<snip>

There are many more such accounts. Stem cell research offers the best hope of a cure or relief for illnesses such as diabetes, Alzheimer's, asthma, Crohn's and others.

And as time goes on it is increasingly becoming possible to use cells developed from other sources than embryos - the main reason for the anti-stem-cell-research movement being a horror of using human embryos in this way. (Embryos in this usage are the human being from implantation of the fertilised egg until it is eight weeks old, when it is renamed a foetus.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

No
    brozio wrote: »
    I am currently doing a masters in stem cells is galway,

My sister finished that, more stem cell researchers!!
    MOAR!!!

Also, embryonic stem cells are only one way of getting them. You can take stem cells from anywhere in the body, but they are limited in what they can change into, the embryonic ones change into anything, even a new Dennys....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No
    Yeahhhhhh spongebo.....i mean stem cells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

The reason it degenerates into a religious debate is because the religious right believe that all stem cells come either from aborted fetuses or cord blood.

I believe unbilicus blood is the richest sourse of cells in general, but stem cells are also present in menses, nasal cells, spinal fluid, and many other more accessible areas of the live human body, without recourse to embryonic research, or the products of abortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

No
    *** too slow typing , answered above ***
    Good topic OP, will read up more on this but;
    From what I've read on the subject they can also be gotten from Umbilical chords? ( someone correct me if I'm wrong ) but is research done on anywhere on these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

No
    I've love to invite the leader of the Youth Defence Party for a public debate on their campaign - I would put money on them knowing nothing on what they're arguing about. If anyone knows where I can contact him, that'd be much appreciated :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

'Yae' or something....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

No
    This post has been deleted.

No
    I've love to invite the leader of the Youth Defence Party for a public debate on their campaign - I would put money on them knowing nothing on what they're arguing about. If anyone knows where I can contact him, that'd be much appreciated :pac:

I'd love to meet the Leader of Youth Defence and repeatedly clobber him over the head with an object large enough such that it's size and hardness are directly proportional to his groups ignorance and stupidity.

But failing that, a debate would be sufficient. :)

No
    I'd love to meet the Leader of Youth Defence and repeatedly clobber him over the head with an object large enough such that it's size and hardness are directly proportional to his groups ignorance and stupidity.

Unfortunately, I would strongly doubt they would have the balls to face a questioning - and more than likely their own public humiliation. Does anyone even know how they can be contacted?

No
    Kinda surprised that they don't seem to have their own website - you'd think that would be a handy way for them to spread their bull**** propaganda.
    They do have an office somewhere though (possibly more than one) You could try find their office and ask to speak to someone, although I actually don't know where they're based.

Poll results are reassuring though - 48 supporters, 0 opposers and 1 turtle fancier so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭GunScope

No
    While tempted to support the turtle, I must throw my considerable weight behind stem cell research, physically speaking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

No

Ooh, you should damage their spinal cord so that they'll need stem cell research to help them walk again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

luckat wrote: »
    The poster's information is incorrect, I think - look at this story, for a start:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3171993.stm
    Yes but what they don't tell you about is the 36 people that turned into giant wasp people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

No
    A proper poll would be: Is there going to be a nay vote at all?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No
    Stem cell research ftw. Religious whackjobs that try to prevent it are costing lives. ****ers.

• Advertisement

No
    Kinda surprised that they don't seem to have their own website - you'd think that would be a handy way for them to spread their bull**** propaganda.
    They do have an office somewhere though (possibly more than one) You could try find their office and ask to speak to someone, although I actually don't know where they're based.

Poll results are reassuring though - 48 supporters, 0 opposers and 1 turtle fancier so far.

They do: (I think this is them anyway)

Also

Q4. What is stem cell research?
    Stem Cells are the most primitive of human cells. Human Stem Cells are present in embryos, in foetuses and in bone marrow. They have two extremely valuable properties: they can divide endlessly to produce more stem cells and they can transform themselves into any of the cells present in the human body (skin cells, liver cells, and heart cells).

Therefore, methods are used whereby the stem cells are formed into replacement tissue and even entire organs. Researchers believe that stem cells will eventually be used to repair injured or poorly functioning brains and nervous systems. Scientists have been able to implant heart muscle cells grown from stem cells (taken from an aborted foetus) into the hearts of mice and observe them.

We must remember an embryo is a full human being with the same right to life as anyone on this earth. Thus, any procedure that injures or kills an embryo for research is a murder and an assault of a human being.

No application eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

No
    In a nutshell, these retards at the Youth Defence would rather have more babies born into the world instead of keeping the ones who are alive, alive. All they are looking at is the pro life argument but I don't think that even comes into it. If a family want a baby, they can have one. Nobody is stopping them. But things like in vitro fertilisation generates large numbers of embryos that will be thrown away anyway, so using them for research into curing disease makes all the sense in the world.

I'd love to ask these gob****es to walk up to someone with a terminal illness that could eventually be cured from using this research oppurtunity and tell them that they value the life of an unborn foetus more than theirs. I'd love to kick Eoghan de Faoite in his balls and then tell him that they can be regrown with some proper research into the subject.

"We must remember an embryo is a full human being with the same right to life as anyone on this earth. Thus, any procedure that injures or kills an embryo for research is a murder and an assault of a human being." Sheer bull****.

No
    Fad wrote: »

Ah excellent. Thank you.

Tellox, if you go to www.truthtv.org/main.asp?a=&p=& and go to the "ask us" section it gives their office address, email and telephone number.

No
    Ah excellent. Thank you.

Tellox, if you go to www.truthtv.org/main.asp?a=&p=& and go to the "ask us" section it gives their office address, email and telephone number.

Great stuff. Shot them off a mail, will give them a call if I get no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

No
    :eek:

0% oppose them? Then what the hell is all the fuss? Get those eggs out, fertilise'em and inject them into my spine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

No
    Throughout history religion has held back progress.
    In the past we had witches burned at the stake. They were probably just herbalists, but someone in power didn't want to see progress being made, so he scared the locals and used religion as a weapon.

What these nutballs are doing now is quite similar.
    Mind you, threatening to give back a degree is probably the lamest form of blackmail I have ever seen.

An aborted foetus is dead. It's not going to come back to life. With the stem cells from it, it could vastly improve the life of someone suffering.
    These people really need to get a grip on themselves (no, not in that way. The church frowns on that sort of thing) and see the bigger picture.

While I'm not a big fan of Obama lesser of two evils), I applaud him for what was a very dangerous move for him to make. The religious right in America hold an awful lot of power. Something similar to Ireland up to 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No
    I voted yes by accident. Stem cell research is against the infallible word of god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

No
    wow, no ones voted no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

No

I wonder if you could make said object from stem cells? You know just to really hammer home the point! A giant stem cell hammer, awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Uncle Arthur

No
    Terry wrote: »
    Throughout history religion has held back progress.
    In the past we had witches burned at the stake. They were probably just herbalists, but someone in power didn't want to see progress being made, so he scared the locals and used religion as a weapon.

What these nutballs are doing now is quite similar.
    Mind you, threatening to give back a degree is probably the lamest form of blackmail I have ever seen.

An aborted foetus is dead. It's not going to come back to life. With the stem cells from it, it could vastly improve the life of someone suffering.
    These people really need to get a grip on themselves (no, not in that way. The church frowns on that sort of thing) and see the bigger picture.

While I'm not a big fan of Obama lesser of two evils), I applaud him for what was a very dangerous move for him to make. The religious right in America hold an awful lot of power. Something similar to Ireland up to 20 years ago.

very good point, now im against abortion completely but if people are going to have them anyway then the best possible use may aswell be taken from the foetus

No
    I wonder if you could make said object from stem cells? You know just to really hammer home the point! A giant stem cell hammer, awesome!

PETA seem to get away with throwing paint at people, throw a bucket of foetuses and stem cells at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

No
    I voted yes, but only if the stem cells are not taken from an embryo...there are other sources that can and should be used. I have at least one medical condition that could be improved by such research but not at the expense of someone elses life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

stem cells are red,
    abortions are blue.
    i agree with them both,
    disagree? fuck you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

No
    The poll is very misleading - no-one really opposes stem cells.

What they want is the use of adult stem cells as opposed to embryonic stem cells.

Adult stem cells can do nearly anything embryonic ones can (originally scientists said that they couldn't, then George Bush put his foot down and said "it's adult stem cells or nothin'", and they suddenly found ways to use them on nearly anything), so tbh I wouldn't really have a problem in asking scientists to use adult stem cells where possible.

No
    wow, no ones voted no
    Thats because *Deep breath*

Even Youth Defence would vote YES on that poll question.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

No

Mod edit:
    This thread is about stem cell research and not about abortion.
    If you would like to discuss abortion, then I suggest you go to the humanities forum.

Well, I'm all for Stem Cell research. The benefits are only being explored now and everything that they've done so seems positive.

I believe there is no god, so therefore no god to piss off and rain down it's wrath on anyone. If the stem cells aren't used they're wasted, an opportunity is wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

No
    You haven't lived until you've tried a stem cell omelette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

whats the next thing to break the taboo?
    Selective examples are searched for and found about stem cells being the be all and end all.
    I am neither yay or nay,but would love some debate on this.
    john

No
    The poll is very misleading - no-one really opposes stem cells.

What they want is the use of adult stem cells as opposed to embryonic stem cells.

To be honest I assumed the poll was specifically about embryonic stem cells - surely no-one of a sane disposition opposes adult stem cell research? :confused:
    Adult stem cells can do nearly anything embryonic ones can (originally scientists said that they couldn't, then George Bush put his foot down and said "it's adult stem cells or nothin'", and they suddenly found ways to use them on nearly anything), so tbh I wouldn't really have a problem in asking scientists to use adult stem cells where possible.

IMO "Nearly anything" isn't enough and "where possible" is not often enough.
    If adult stem cells and embryonic stem cells were equivalent, then there'd be no big debate.
    If progress can be made in a particular study using adult stem cells only, that's great.

But as far as I'm concerned, if embryonic stem cell research could potentially make a breakthrough in treating terminal illnesses that adult stem cell research can't then it should be implemented.

No
    To be honest I assumed the poll was specifically about embryonic stem cells - surely no-one of a sane disposition opposes adult stem cell research? :confused:
    Thats why the poll is a straw man: If you agree with any kind of stem cell research, then you have to say yes, because its lying to say no.

It's basically a straw man, the only thing the poll is good for is telling us who on boards.ie is a Jehovah's Witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Stem cells when used properly can be used to fix the wrongs that nature inflicts on unfortunate people.

Stem cells ftw,

Creationists GTFO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement