Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options
  • 17-02-2009 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

As requested by Manfromatlantis.

To keep it relevant, DM09 is not one of my main goals so OUT LOUD any pb is a bonus. Secretely I'll hopefully be having a bash off sub 3'15 when the time comes around :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

first ever marthon so hoping for sub 4 hours but secretly want sub 3 45 to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I'm torn between doing this or Longford this year. DCM because it's the big three-o this year, or Longford because I've never done it before and I want to move closer to the goal of doing all the Irish marathons...

To anyone who's previously done both, which one would be better for running a fast time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

I am toying with the idea of doing it but first ever marathon so the prospect is both a little exciting and a little scary and I question my sanity a bit :D.

So if anyone has any tips for a first timer.....or even if Dublin is a good one for a first marathon I would be happy of advice.

Also slightly off topic but related for me, I am going to be spending most of my time (and therefore my training) out of Ireland until September and was thinking of including the Perth half marathon into my schedule at the end of August - has anyone run this before? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

To anyone who's previously done both, which one would be better for running a fast time?

I've done both and Longford is probably a faster course but the crowds in Dublin , both supporters and runners will help you to run quicker, so I would say Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

spaceylou wrote: »
    ,I question my sanity a bit :D.

well if you have questionable sanity your in the right place*

* im grand but the rest of them are stone mad!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Considering it, but I need to see what way my JET program application goes. If I'm still going to be around Dublin, then I will (hopefully!) do it.

Just registered for this 75.60, figure I should probably do it now while I still have a little bit of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Peckham

Berlin is my target race for this year, so given it's 5 weeks before Dublin I'm unlikely to do both....can't see what's to gain personally from doing it. That said, if they pace runners in DCM I'd volunteer as a 3:30 pace runner or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm torn between doing this or Longford this year. DCM because it's the big three-o this year, or Longford because I've never done it before and I want to move closer to the goal of doing all the Irish marathons...

Do both! You'd be doing them in the right order too, as doing them the other way around would be a huge anti-climax. There's 57 days between the two races this year. Lots of time to recover and get a couple of long runs completed.

Peckham wrote: »
    Berlin is my target race for this year, so given it's 5 weeks before Dublin I'm unlikely to do both....can't see what's to gain personally from doing it. That said, if they pace runners in DCM I'd volunteer as a 3:30 pace runner or something like that.

A few of my family are doing it, so I think it would be nice to do it with them and hopefully Berlin will go according to plan which will allow me to relax in Dublin. Might have my kids and wife at bushy park with sweets aswell or something. But again if Berlin goes well I would be up for offering myself as a pacemaker. Good thinking Peckham. I know last year a few boardsies talked about it but maybe with a bit of planning we can put some pacing groups together,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'll be out with the camera but that's going to be it for this years Dublin marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Woddle wrote: »
    A few of my family are doing it, so I think it would be nice to do it with them and hopefully Berlin will go according to plan which will allow me to relax in Dublin. Might have my kids and wife at bushy park with sweets aswell or something. But again if Berlin goes well I would be up for offering myself as a pacemaker. Good thinking Peckham. I know last year a few boardsies talked about it but maybe with a bit of planning we can put some pacing groups together,
    Sounds like a good idea there, Not planning on dublin yet myslef going to see how the year goes and the summer over the shorter distances, But won't rule is out just yet all depends on how i drag myself around belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Peckham wrote: »
    That said, if they pace runners in DCM I'd volunteer as a 3:30 pace runner or something like that.

That would be deadly if they had pace runners. Have they had that before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Not that I am aware of. I contacted them a couple of years ago and offered myself as a pacemaker if they were going to have them and was told it wasn't being considered.

I'm provisionally thinking of Amsterdam this year which is 18th Oct but if all goes well and I stay uninjured I should be able to pace a sub 4 or sub 4:30 group in Dublin after that. I have the Race Directors email address so if we could rustle up enough "hares" at a good spread of times we could send a mail, maybe suggest free entry for any pacemakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Not that I am aware of. I contacted them a couple of years ago and offered myself as a pacemaker if they were going to have them and was told it wasn't being considered.

I'm provisionally thinking of Amsterdam this year which is 18th Oct but if all goes well and I stay uninjured I should be able to pace a sub 4 or sub 4:30 group in Dublin after that. I have the Race Directors email address so if we could rustle up enough "hares" at a good spread of times we could send a mail, maybe suggest free entry for any pacemakers?

I'm not sure if it would be allowed but if they weren't running official pace groups I'm sure groups of people looking to run a similar time on here would pay somone's entry fee if they were prepared to be the pacemaker. Just an idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Peckham

I have the Race Directors email address so if we could rustle up enough "hares" at a good spread of times we could send a mail, maybe suggest free entry for any pacemakers?

Good idea - I'd be on for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I'm reg'd already, the build up is certainly starting early this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Do both! You'd be doing them in the right order too, as doing them the other way around would be a huge anti-climax. There's 57 days between the two races this year. Lots of time to recover and get a couple of long runs completed.

The thought had crossed my mind alright, but I'm doing Connemarathon too and after running three marathons last year I decided I didn't want to do that again.

I'm not sure though, I might try both. We'll see how Connemarathon goes first I suppose. Feeling in pretty decent condition at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The thought had crossed my mind alright, but I'm doing Connemarathon too and after running three marathons last year I decided I didn't want to do that again.

I'm not sure though, I might try both. We'll see how Connemarathon goes first I suppose. Feeling in pretty decent condition at the moment.
    Between the two races last year, I rested (recovered) and built up the mileage week by week, and managed two 22 milers and tapered before Dublin. I wasn't planning on beating my Dublin time (was doing it for the experience) but still knocked a few minutes off my previous PB. So there's plenty of time, if you make it through Longford injury free. But if Dublin is your major focus, there's probably not much point in doing Longford. I wanted to build on the momentum from doing Connemara last year (half) and couldn't wait until the end of October, and Cork was just too soon, so Longford was ideal. Great to come in the top 60 of a marathon field too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

christeb wrote: »
    I'm reg'd already, the build up is certainly starting early this year!

Registered also :) Is there a limit on DM entries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

MCOS wrote: »
    Registered also :) Is there a limit on DM entries?

No limit, just a strict closing date.

Bumped by user request

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Planning on doing DM09 as my second ever marathon. I ran in 2006... 3:42... Would like to break 3:30.

I am not committed yet, so want to wait till a little later in the year before I enter. The cheap entry runs out on August 1st, so have a few months left to decide!

Also need to step up my training. 18 weeks beforehand (June 22nd) when I plan to start training in earnest, but want to build up to a long run of about 12-14 before that.

How long does it take to get marathon fit, assuming you have a good base and are training consistantly about 4/5 days per week, and about 25-30 miles?

Domer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

signed up today, cant wait!!

Domer wrote: »
    How long does it take to get marathon fit, assuming you have a good base and are training consistantly about 4/5 days per week, and about 25-30 miles?

Depends on your definition of "Marathon Fit" but 14 - 18 weeks would be the norm, I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

toying with the idea of doing dublin......would be my first ever marathon.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I've definately decided to do it but not going to register until 22nd June when I start the 18 week training programme. Im starting Hal Higdon 12 week spring training next week which will lead up nicely to the 18 week programme. Cant wait!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

here we go again. nice to seem some of last years faces and welcome to the newbies.

ok aim to break 4hrs this year at least. 4:01 last year so thats gotta be the main target. secretly?, i will be wanting to break 3:45 if im not going to be disappointed.
    training just ticking along at the moment, for some reason i seem to be going nowhere fast. training times are a down but onwards and upwards.

plan a 14.2 miler tomorrow real early!!! as in 5-6 am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SeanMurphy

Sub 4 hours is my gaol.

Anyone else running The Great Ireland Run next Sunday? I entered it to get my feet off the ground. Just tryin to make the training as gradual as possible.

Also, mapmyrun is the a god send.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

SeanMurphy wrote: »
    Anyone else running The Great Ireland Run next Sunday? I entered it to get my feet off the ground. Just tryin to make the training as gradual as possible.
    I'm doing the Great Ireland Run next Sunday too. Hoping to go sub-60 mins.

I'm undecided on whether to do the marathon this year, or whether to do a couple of half marathons and work on my 5k and 10k times this year and target the full in 2010. I'll wait probably until early June before I make a decision though.

Advertisement