Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Ans Blix wrote: »
    Hello

I'm doing a marathon in Dublin 29th oct (first timer) Yes I know i'm late starting, yes i know i haven't got my **** togeather.
    I need EVERYTHING you have, Compact (3 monthish) schedule, nutrition/diet layout, Preday/day/post day tactics (carb loading, motivation and recovery) and anything i've forgotten. Everything!

Also anyone in here doing it, let me know, i'd love a training buddy/kick in the ass.

I've been running for the last 2 years... since i left (got the boot) from the army actually, but i've never really gone above 11km (just back from the run - 11km in 1hour 10 minutes)

Any Irish/Dubliners looking to buddy up or PTI's able to help to directed me add me on Skype: Marquall

Athletics forum is thataway >>>>>>>>>>> :)

Look under 'sports - athletics/running/triathlon'. I think it is too late for the marathon at this stage - you could very likely do yourself an injury. You could try for the half in Sept with the right training.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The marathon is October 26, you'll be a little late if you turn up on the 29th!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Go here for more specific marathon info. Lots of training discussion ongoing too in the training logs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you're already running regularly and have good CV fitness you could still train for the marathon and finish. You may not get the best time in the world but you'd certainly finish. There is 14 and a half weeks to go that is a LOT of training presuming you are running those 11km runs now, this time two years ago the most I'd ever run was about 3 or 4 miles and I went on to complete the Dublin marathon that year, it IS doable but it's all down to the right training. As has been said pop into the Athletics forum and you'll get plenty of help and advice. Look up the hal higdons marathon training schedules and follow one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Moved from fitness...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ans Blix

Khannie wrote: »
    Moved from fitness...

Thanks for the move

Yeah, its the 26th, my bad

Anyone on this Forum able to help? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

As mentioned above - check out some of the training logs and get yourself a training plan.

Hal Higdon is good. But it does all depend on how far you can run at the moment as well cause you've missed nearly 5 weeks training at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Ans Blix wrote: »
    Hello

I'm doing a marathon in Dublin 29th oct (first timer) Yes I know i'm late starting, yes i know i haven't got my **** togeather.
    I need EVERYTHING you have, Compact (3 monthish) schedule, nutrition/diet layout, Preday/day/post day tactics (carb loading, motivation and recovery) and anything i've forgotten. Everything!

Also anyone in here doing it, let me know, i'd love a training buddy/kick in the ass.

I've been running for the last 2 years... since i left (got the boot) from the army actually, but i've never really gone above 11km (just back from the run - 11km in 1hour 10 minutes)

Any Irish/Dubliners looking to buddy up or PTI's able to help to directed me add me on Skype: Marquall

First things 1st - *why* are you doing the marathon? If it's just to do it so you can say you've done it then fair enough, carry on. Train hard between now and the race and you'll get round. It'll be slow (slower than if you trained fully) and it'll hurt more than it should but you'll probably finish.

If though you are looking to enjoy the experience or perform well relative to your ability then maybe try a spring marathon and train properly. 26.2 miles is a long (long) way and if you are going to do it (IMO) you might as well do it right - the race will still be there next year.

As for the rest there are lots of training plans out there - Hal Higdon and the First Institute are reccomended (google them for details). Find one that looks like you can manage it and get stuck in. Any questions just throw them up in here.

The rest of the questions - tactics, race day, carb loading - probably should wait till a bit closer to the time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

First things 1st - *why* are you doing the marathon? If it's just to do it so you can say you've done it then fair enough, carry on. Train hard between now and the race and you'll get round. It'll be slow (slower than if you trained fully) and it'll hurt more than it should but you'll probably finish.

If though you are looking to enjoy the experience or perform well relative to your ability then maybe try a spring marathon and train properly. 26.2 miles is a long (long) way and if you are going to do it (IMO) you might as well do it right - the race will still be there next year.

As for the rest there are lots of training plans out there - Hal Higdon and the First Institute are reccomended (google them for details). Find one that looks like you can manage it and get stuck in. Any questions just throw them up in here.

The rest of the questions - tactics, race day, carb loading - probably should wait till a bit closer to the time ;)

Is it really to late to train to do the one in October?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

abi2007 wrote: »
    Is it really to late to train to do the one in October?

How long is a piece of string?

We have this discussion regularly and it usually boils down to what you are looking to achieve. A lot of people (myself and HM included) get this daft idea that a marathon can't be *that* hard - after all thousands of people do them every year. So with little or no prep they launch into a training program and attempt a marathon within three or four months of starting to run.

So if all you want to do is finish, if you have never run before but are pig headed enough and if you are willing to risk injury then you can def do Dublin. Indeed you could possibly even leave it for a few weeks yet before you start!

BUT!! If you want to minimise the risk of injury, want to enjoy the experience, want to run from start to finish or want to do the best you can then starting now is not ideal - you should train consistently for 16 - 18 weeks coming from 12 months+ of solid running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krooney

I am using that Hal Higdon programme, changed a bit to suit myself a bit better but its goog so thanks again. I did 8k Sunday night, 4k monday night and rested last night! Its wednesday now and I play 90mins intense indoor football tonight! I always give it my all on wednesday playing ball and do be shattered tired after it. So my question is, does this exersion count as a run because this is my rest day from running but can tommoro be instead because I play ball!

Chhers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

Ok maybe I should give it a miss then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Just an idea. Training for DCM09 in October. This is my first marathon and could do with a bit of banter and support on the training. Going to use this thread for any novice or first time marathoner who wants to jump in with their training plans etc. Or any chat about how it's all going.

Note to mod - didn't put this in the training logs subforum because it may get lost, was hoping to get a few people contributing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Ran the Achill half marathon on July 4th. tough going but made it in 2.08. Had a decent 5 weeks build up to it with my long runs going ,7,9,10,11.
    Took a week off (enforced with a calf strain) just back this week - following Higdons novice plan - I put myself on week 3 which is 3,4,3,9.
    Did the 4 miler last night with a mile tempo (10k race pace 8.45mile aprox) on Tergat's recommendation. Aiming for a finish in the marathon - not too bothered about time - would anticipate 4.15 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

There's a DCM thread floating about here somewhere - it'd probably be best to stick it in there, along with any other marathon theads that will start over the next few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

buck65 wrote: »
    Did the 4 miler last night with a mile tempo (10k race pace 8.45mile aprox) on Tergat's recommendation. Aiming for a finish in the marathon - not too bothered about time - would anticipate 4.15 ish.

Don't put yourself under time pressure. By the time you come to Mile 20 you'll be past caring. I'd say add 30 minutes to that and then you will be able to celebrate finishing your first mara without the watch bugging you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

buck65 wrote: »
    Just an idea. Training for DCM09 in October. This is my first marathon and could do with a bit of banter and support on the training. Going to use this thread for any novice or first time marathoner who wants to jump in with their training plans etc. Or any chat about how it's all going.

Note to mod - didn't put this in the training logs subforum because it may get lost, was hoping to get a few people contributing

There is a large thread already. I've merged other recent threads into the main thread also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Probably been posted here before but haven't time to search for it.
    2009 route pdf is up on site now.
    Nice change to the start - http://dublinmarathon.ie/map-2009.pdf

The removal of the Holles St. bottleneck is a welcome alteration, but will there be similar problems at the first acute bend from Fitzwillam Place onto Leeson St Lower?
    Hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

eliwallach wrote: »
    The removal of the Holles St. bottleneck is a welcome alteration, but will there be similar problems at the first acute bend from Fitzwillam Place onto Leeson St Lower?
    Hope not.

Yeah, that gonna be a worry too, although if they moved the start to Leeson St. could you say the turn onto the Green will cause a bottleneck too ?
    Maybe but not as severe as the old route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

How long is a piece of string?

Its this long... **holds out 2 index fingers** :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AndrewDhuey

Greetings from the USA, folks. I'm very excited about my first visit to Ireland, and about running the Dublin Marathon. You allow Americans to run this, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Greetings from the USA, folks. I'm very excited about my first visit to Ireland, and about running the Dublin Marathon. You allow Americans to run this, right?

Of course! Details here for direct entry if you're not running through a charity or sports travel group.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

Hi all,
    I've been training for the DCM since May and have just encountered my first injury...i think it's a calf strain of some sorts. I've taken over a week off training - tried going for a walk after day 6 of being out with it but it's still at me. I'm just wondering how long can you take off for an injury without it being next to impossible to get back into the swing of things. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it'll be my first marathon and I want to do it right - thanks :)

Of course! Details here for direct entry if you're not running through a charity or sports travel group.

Just kidding around -- I registered a couple of months ago. I'm really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

SUB 3'00"
    Lex Luther 2:58.59
    Abhainn (2:59:59 will do for now)

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL
    christeb (very optimistic this early on...) 3:10:59 (Peckham Pacer)
    MCOS 3'10'59" Feic it may as well go for it :eek:

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"

SUB 3'30"
    Colblimp 3:29:46 (Or quicker!) biggrin.gif
    MrCreosote 3:29:59
    Plodder 3:29:59.5

SUB 3'45"
    ManFromAtlantis 3:39
    nutzzz123 3:44:59 biggrin.gif
    Eliwallach (with the help of HM)

SUB 4'00"
    Hardy Eustace 3:59:59 (Go team Peckham) biggrin.gif
    osnola ivax 3:59:59 (amadeus allstars)
    Oryx 3:59:59 (amadeus allstars)
    RacoonQueen - as close as possible to 3:45 (Peckhams Pacers)
    menoscemo 3:59:30
    nomadic (for now , maybe 3.45)
    hawkwing 3:59:59
    rovers_runner 3.59.59
    Oisin11178 3:59:59 (maybe lower)
    jrar (out loud time) 3:54:59 - dreamland time - 3:44:59
    Sharktale 3:53:59
    ULstudent 3:59:59
    actwithoutwords officially 3:59:59, but would love to get close to 3:45

SUB 4'30"
    Sub430 (what's in a name?) smile.gif Also amadeus allstars
    Rainbow Kirby (amadeus allstars - 4:30 is my inner child goal, 4:45 is probably more realistic)
    TheTubes (first marathon smile.gif )
    Munster_Gal (Amadeus All Stars)
    Spaceylou 4:29:59 or below will make me happy - actually just finishing will make me happy but I need a target!

SUB 5'00"
    Racheljev - all on me ownio redface.gif
    Bally8 (just want to finish but 4:59:59 would be nice)

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL
    AndrewDhuey (join me, anyone? I BQed last April for next year; this would be for 2011).

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"

SUB 4'00"
    rovers_runner 3.59.59

SUB 4'30"
    Rainbow Kirby (amadeus allstars - 4:30 is my inner child goal, 4:45 is probably more realistic)
    Spaceylou 4:29:59 or below will make me happy - actually just finishing will make me happy but I need a target!

SUB 5'00"

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mack10

HI All,

My first marathon and hoping for sub 4 hrs 15. Probably a tad ambitious because I have never run farther than a half marathon which I did in 1hr 48 on a very hilly route. Im thinking double that and add 30 minutes for the full.

I heard rumours about there being pace setters. Is it true?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

SUB 3'00"
    TFBubendorfer (2:59:59 will do nicely for me, too)

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL
    AndrewDhuey (join me, anyone? I BQed last April for next year; this would be for 2011).

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"

SUB 4'00"
    rovers_runner 3.59.59

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

It's probably sheer lunacy to run this 6 weeks after the Dingle marathon, so take any predictions for my time with a large pinch of salt. I'm more trying to find my limits than anything else. As I've said, sheer lunacy, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

mack10 wrote: »
    HI All,

My first marathon and hoping for sub 4 hrs 15. Probably a tad ambitious because I have never run farther than a half marathon which I did in 1hr 48 on a very hilly route. Im thinking double that and add 30 minutes for the full.

I heard rumours about there being pace setters. Is it true?

There will be pacers for the 4 hour group and a 4.30 group. You can make your mind up nearer the time about wher you fit in. However, as you have run 1.48 for a half marathon, there's no reason why you cannot target 4 hours for the full if your training goes OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 mack10

There will be pacers for the 4 hour group and a 4.30 group. You can make your mind up nearer the time about wher you fit in. However, as you have run 1.48 for a half marathon, there's no reason why you cannot target 4 hours for the full if your training goes OK.

Thanks Hard Worker. I will probably run with the 4 hour group and hope that the adrenalin and all my training will help me stay with them. I will have done way more training for the half marathon than I did for the previous one so going to target 1.40 for that. Im finding that an average of 8 minute miles over distances above 6 miles is my body's limit.

Advertisement