Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Might aswell put my balls on the chopping block here...........3:02 last year so this year Im going for 2:34.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭aero2k

tunguska wrote: »
    Might aswell put my balls on the chopping block here...........3:02 last year so this year Im going for 2:34.
    Fair play to you tunguska, it's a great relief to see someone who's even more crazy ambitious than me - I'll be happy with just 23 mins faster than last year.

aero2k wrote: »
    Fair play to you tunguska, it's a great relief to see someone who's even more crazy ambitious than me - I'll be happy with just 23 mins faster than last year.

Ha ha! Cheers. Yes it defintely is madness but feck it, im loving the madness. Probably gonna be absolute physical torture but I think I can pull it off.
    How about you Aero2k, what did you do last year and what you going for this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

Hi Lila
    Cheers for the advice. Townsend St doesnt look to far away, might need a stretcher though :p.

No problem. Worth calling them closer to the time to check opening hours though - bank holiday and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Thats the spirit. That will be some improvement and your training this year is a lot more marathon specific right? See you at the gig tomorrow by the way.

• Advertisement

Thats the spirit. That will be some improvement and your training this year is a lot more marathon specific right? See you at the gig tomorrow by the way.

Cheers dude. Yeah the training has actually included some long runs this time.
    What about you, are you gonna commit to a time? 3:15? Maybe even 3:10......

See you at the gig. Oh and theres a Last waltz tribute on in the village satyrday night which Im very curious to see(gone completely off topic here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

SUB 2'50"
    tunguska 2'34 balls on chopping block

SUB 3'00"
    Lex Luther 2:58.59
    Abhainn (2:59:59 will do for now)
    TFBubendorfer (2:59:59 will do nicely for me, too)

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL
    christeb (very optimistic this early on...) 3:10:59 (Peckham Pacer)
    MCOS 3'10'59" Feic it may as well go for it eek.gif

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL
    AndrewDhuey (join me, anyone? I BQed last April for next year; this would be for 2011).
    figs 3:20:00 - always the optimist!

SUB 3'30"
    Colblimp 3:29:46 (Or quicker!) biggrin.gif
    MrCreosote 3:29:59
    Plodder 3:29:59.5
    Earlyevening 3:20 - 3:25
    Potsy11 3:26:00

SUB 3'45"
    ManFromAtlantis 3:39
    nutzzz123 3:44:59 biggrin.gif
    Eliwallach (with the help of HM)

SUB 4'00"
    Hardy Eustace 3:59:59 (Go team Peckham) biggrin.gif
    osnola ivax 3:59:59 (amadeus allstars)
    Oryx 3:59:59 (amadeus allstars)
    RacoonQueen - as close as possible to 3:45 (Peckhams Pacers)
    menoscemo 3:59:30
    nomadic (for now , maybe 3.45)
    hawkwing 3:59:59
    rovers_runner 3.59.59
    Oisin11178 3:59:59 (maybe lower)
    jrar (out loud time) 3:54:59 - dreamland time - 3:44:59
    Sharktale 3:53:59
    ULstudent 3:59:59
    actwithoutwords officially 3:59:59, but would love to get close to 3:45
    Krusty_Clown - pacer - 3:59:59 - If you see me go past you, then you're not SUB 4'00" any more. smile.gif

SUB 4'30"
    Sub430 (what's in a name?) smile.gif Also amadeus allstars
    Rainbow Kirby (amadeus allstars - 4:30 is my inner child goal, 4:45 is probably more realistic)
    Munster_Gal (Amadeus All Stars)
    Spaceylou 4:29:59 or below will make me happy - actually just finishing will make me happy but I need a target!
    IronTractorBoy 4:29:59

SUB 5'00"
    Racheljev - all on me ownio redface.gif
    Bally8 (just want to finish but 4:59:59 would be nice)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭aero2k

Probably gonna be absolute physical torture but I think I can pull it off.
    How about you Aero2k, what did you do last year and what you going for this time?
    Well, believing you can do it is a great step on the way to your goal.

I did 3:22 last year, but I had done a 10m in 66:28 and a 1/2m in 1:28:48 so I should have been on for sub 3:10, if I hadn't got carried away on the day and run the 1st half in 1:31. The goal this year is 2:59:59; my training has been much more specific and consistent. I'll see how the 10m goes on Sat and make sure I've got the right target on the big day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

SUB 2'50"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL
    AndrewDhuey (join me, anyone? I BQed last April for next year; this would be for 2011).

SUB 3'30"
    Woddle sure we'll give it a lash :D

SUB 3'45"

SUB 4'00"
    rovers_runner 3.59.59
    Krusty_Clown - pacer - 3:59:59 - If you see me go past you, then you're not SUB 4'00" any more. smile.gif

SUB 4'30"
    Rainbow Kirby (amadeus allstars - 4:30 is my inner child goal, 4:45 is probably more realistic)
    Spaceylou 4:29:59 or below will make me happy - actually just finishing will make me happy but I need a target!

SUB 5'00"

What about you, are you gonna commit to a time? 3:15? Maybe even 3:10

You kidding? My balls are not going near the chopping block. I'm not anything near 3.15 let alone 3.10. I'm saying 3.24 59sec.......a 15 minute improvement from May hopefully.

I'll revisit my predicted time in early Oct ;)

• Advertisement

You kidding? My balls are not going near the chopping block. I'm not anything near 3.15 let alone 3.10. I'm saying 3.24 59sec.......a 15 minute improvement from May hopefully.

I'll revisit my predicted time in early Oct ;)

Sometimes I think I have more belief in you than you do in yourself:). I think sub 3:20 is on the cards even though you wont place your genitals near that block. Sure see how Frank Duffy goes on saturday. Have you called a time on that thread yet?

Sure see how Frank Duffy goes on saturday. Have you called a time on that thread yet?

Yeah just did. A nervous 71mins.

Going to be skipping the long run on Sunday due to hangover :o. I hate missing these and falling out with the program. Just feel as if I've fallin out of touch with a lot of friends because of the lack of nights out to do long runs on Saturday/Sunday. Anyone else feel that way since starting the program? Turning into a problem page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Anyone else feel that way since starting the program? Turning into a problem page.

Hmmm kinda, definitely missing plenty of nights out and drinking less on the nights out

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

I'm the other way , delighted to have a valid excuse not to go out and get baloobas for the first time in years. Must be getting old. Then again on a stag weekend this weekend and haven't seen the lads in ages - looking forward to it. Not looking forward to shivering through next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Just feel as if I've fallin out of touch with a lot of friends because of the lack of nights out to do long runs on Saturday/Sunday. Anyone else feel that way since starting the program? Turning into a problem page.

+1

To compensate I do my drinking on a Thursday night - better to be hungover for work on Fri than for the Sat & Sun runs! Hence my late login here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Anyone else feel that way since starting the program?

Some sort of AA program?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Bobby04 wrote: »
    +1

To compensate I do my drinking on a Thursday night - better to be hungover for work on Fri than for the Sat & Sun runs! Hence my late login here!!

Lucky you don't suffer two day hangovers like me, now Saturday is really gonna be tough.

Some sort of AA program?

My name is Misty Floyd and I have an Athletics addiction. I'm off to the early house to detox.

Yeah just did. A nervous 71mins.

Going to be skipping the long run on Sunday due to hangover :o. I hate missing these and falling out with the program. Just feel as if I've fallin out of touch with a lot of friends because of the lack of nights out to do long runs on Saturday/Sunday. Anyone else feel that way since starting the program? Turning into a problem page.

I dont think its necessary to avoid going out with the lads just because youre not drinking. I know its a different experience at first but you quickly get used to it and dont miss the alcohol at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Out of curiousity, anyone else here using the Furman FIRST training programme for DCM? I've been chopping and changing it to fit in with Gaelforce, and would like to know how others are getting on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭WhitestBoyAlive

DCM will be my first marathon
    LSR is up to 18 miles this week

Just wondering what sort of pace the Sub 3'30 run your LSR at?

I'm not sure weather i'll be pacing with Sub 3'45 or 3'30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I think sub 3 30 is 8 min miles right? So pacing for lsr's would be 1 a 1:30 slower than that, open to correction

DCM will be my first marathon
    LSR is up to 18 miles this week

Just wondering what sort of pace the Sub 3'30 run your LSR at?

I'm not sure weather i'll be pacing with Sub 3'45 or 3'30

According to McMillan your LSR pace should be around 8:30 - 9:30 for a 3:30 full.

I'm a first timer too, hoping for just sub 3:30, and have been averaging about 8:50 pace for my LSRs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GForcer1

Hi All

Just looking for some opinions, as my name suggests. i'm doing the Gaelforce next wend so have been training this summer, more or less last 2.5 months for it..

Anyway have enjoyed getting fit and want to keep going with something, and always wanted to try a marathon, personal thing.

Anyway, do you think i could jump over onto a training program for a marathon, the furthest i have run is about 13 miles, i'm doing this distance in approx 1:45-50, but last wend i managed a 1:35 but really pushed myself but was hard going. As i'm doing GF have been mixing running with and cycling training.

Anyway just wondering has anyone done something similiar or what would peoples thoughts be. At the moment, i think i could only physically manage 15 miles max as after the 13, i dont think at moment could go much further. I also have a weeks hols planned aswell so will be down a week in Sept.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I did the frank duffy yesterday in just under 70min. Do ye think that 3:30 for the mara in oct is wishfull thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

ULstudent wrote: »
    I did the frank duffy yesterday in just under 70min. Do ye think that 3:30 for the mara in oct is wishfull thinking?

No. My 72 mins in the 10 miler 2 years ago led to a 1:33 half and 3:28 marathon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

With a sub 70 I think that a 3:30 marathon is possible. Its wishful thinking on my behalf to want a 3:30 time at the marathon this year as its my first and I finished the 10 mile in 93 mins. Anything below 4 hours would be a great run for me on the day!

ULstudent wrote: »

70min for 10 miles would, according to McMillan, suggest a 3:16 full, so a sub 3:30 should be no problem for you with appropriate training between now and then I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Cheers lads.

Yeah i gandered over to macmillans calculator and saw that. Not that im skeptical about what the calculator says but id prefer to hear from others who might have done around the same times as me before.

Up till now my training is sporadic but iv made sure i always get the longs in so im gonna up the game now and start cross training less and running more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

SUB 2'50"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'30"
    Woddle sure we'll give it a lash :D

SUB 3'45"

SUB 4'00"

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

Gotta come off this list completely, old hip flexor / groin problem flared up on Saturday again, first time it's happened at such a short distance i.e. 7m into Saturdays run so will see how this week and next goes.

Will revise target when I am clear again, but even Saturdays collapse puts me on target for around 4:20 so I'll see what happens.

Advertisement