Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

SUB 2'50"
    tunguska 2'34 balls on chopping block

SUB 3'00"
    Lex Luther 2:58.59
    Abhainn (2:59:59 will do for now)
    TFBubendorfer (2:59:59 will do nicely for me, too)

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL
    christeb (very optimistic this early on...) 3:10:59 (Peckham Pacer)
    MCOS 3'10'59" Feic it may as well go for it

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL
    AndrewDhuey (join me, anyone? I BQed last April for next year; this would be for 2011).
    figs 3:20:00 - always the optimist!
    Earlyevening 3:15 - 3:25

SUB 3'30"
    MrCreosote 3:29:59
    Plodder 3:29:59.5
    Potsy11 3:26:00
    Woddlesure we'll give it a lash
    ULstudent 3:25 or there abouts
    WhitestBoyAlive Finally plunging

SUB 3'45"
    ManFromAtlantis 3:39
    nutzzz123 3:44:59
    Eliwallach (with the help of HM)
    Louthandproud (this is roughly where McMillian puts me)
    Dundalk

SUB 4'00"
    Hardy Eustace 3:59:59 (Go team Peckham)
    osnola ivax 3:59:59 (amadeus allstars)
    Oryx 3:59:59 (amadeus allstars)
    RacoonQueen - as close as possible to 3:45 (Peckhams Pacers)
    menoscemo 3:59:30
    nomadic (for now , maybe 3.45)
    hawkwing 3:59:59
    Oisin11178 3:59:59 (maybe lower)
    jrar (out loud time) 3:54:59 - dreamland time - 3:44:59
    Sharktale 3:53:59
    actwithoutwords officially 3:59:59, but would love to get close to 3:45
    Krusty_Clown - pacer - 3:59:59 - If you see me go past you, then you're not SUB 4'00" any more.
    How Strange 3.58.57 According to my 10m finish time on mcmillan

SUB 4'30"
    Sub430 (what's in a name?) Also amadeus allstars
    Rainbow Kirby (amadeus allstars - 4:30 is my inner child goal, 4:45 is probably more realistic)
    Munster_Gal (Amadeus All Stars)
    Spaceylou 4:29:59 or below will make me happy - actually just finishing will make me happy but I need a target!
    IronTractorBoy 4:29:59
    Blueskye (maybe a bit ambitious)
    poppy08 (or nearest offerredface.gif)
    Chez-moi hopefully sub 4:10

SUB 5'00"
    Racheljev - all on me ownio
    Bally8 (just want to finish but 4:59:59 would be nice

Training going well so I'll move myself up a group.

Was anyone else suffering in that heat over the weekend. Brought young fella GAA training at about 11 and was standing on sideline for over 1:30 hours. Went home and went stright out for 21 miler. Oh my god I suffered. At about 17 had to get into some shade for about a min and take a walk. Then at about 19. Got going again both times. I had fuel belt on but that was emptied about 16 mile!!

Never thought I'd be looking for a bit of cooler weather. This wekend I'll do then long run on Saturday when I can get out early morning.

What would the more experianced runners suggest, go for the 21 again? Bearing in mind a week later I'll be doing the Dublin, which will leave only one really long lsr before the big event.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Are you following a program chez-moi? Not too many would have you doing back to back 21 mile LSRs.
    How long is a 'really long lsr'?!

Krusty what I was doing was lsr on Sunday last 4 were 17 19 16 and 21.

Tuesday recovery 6 miles followed by 6 x 100 m

Wednesday 800 meters started with 5 and built them up. At 9 x 800 with 2 min jog recovery.

Thursday 12 mile

Friday easy 6 mile

I wasn't sure how to approach next 3 weeks LSRs

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

SUB 2'50"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL
    AndrewDhuey (join me, anyone? I BQed last April for next year; this would be for 2011).

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"
    Dundalk

SUB 4'00"
    Krusty_Clown - pacer - 3:59:59 - If you see me go past you, then you're not SUB 4'00" any more.

SUB 4'30"
    Rainbow Kirby (amadeus allstars - 4:30 is my inner child goal, 4:45 is probably more realistic)
    Spaceylou 4:29:59 or below will make me happy - actually just finishing will make me happy but I need a target!

SUB 5'00"
    Bally8 (just want to finish but 4:59:59 would be nice)
    Oryx just wants to finish.

Forgot I posted in this, have had to reconsider my time as my training has been pants, no longer doing the allstar plan, only entering to complete rather than compete, timewise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Dundalk

chez-moi wrote: »
    Was anyone else suffering in that heat over the weekend. Brought young fella GAA training at about 11 and was standing on sideline for over 1:30 hours. Went home and went stright out for 21 miler. Oh my god I suffered. At about 17 had to get into some shade for about a min and take a walk. Then at about 19. Got going again both times. I had fuel belt on but that was emptied about 16 mile!!

Never thought I'd be looking for a bit of cooler weather. This wekend I'll do then long run on Saturday when I can get out early morning.

What would the more experianced runners suggest, go for the 21 again? Bearing in mind a week later I'll be doing the Dublin, which will leave only one really long lsr before the big event.

Oh yeah!!

I went out on Saturday and did 20 mile but like a dope I left the house at 12.30 in the day. The sun was beating down and the main road that I was running on was never in the shade. By mile 17 and i was in a bad way and was getting all types of pains. I walked for a bit and then set of again but it wasnt long before I was walking again. I had used up all my water so I went into some house I was passing that I noticed had a outside tap, filled up and moved on!!!

I will never run in that sun again!! If it that sunny on the 26th of October then Ill come home in about 6 hours!

Dundalk wrote: »
    Oh yeah!!

I went out on Saturday and did 20 mile but like a dope I left the house at 12.30 in the day. The sun was beating down and the main road that I was running on was never in the shade. By mile 17 and i was in a bad way and was getting all types of pains. I walked for a bit and then set of again but it wasnt long before I was walking again. I had used up all my water so I went into some house I was passing that I noticed had a outside tap, filled up and moved on!!!

I will never run in that sun again!! If it that sunny on the 26th of October then Ill come home in about 6 hours!

That'll make 2 of us. And seeing as you are going to Dundalk could you drop me off in Bettytown on the way LOL.

I have to say when you are doing the Marathon, with runners all around you and people urging you on it keeps you going.:)

Yeah im hoping with a lot of people being there it will help me out, I only really started running in March and have only run a 10k race with people, other than that Im running with just my iPod. Im doing the half more for experience then anything else. Im hoping to do the full marathon in sub 3.45, well that was the plan but after last Saturday in the heat im beginning to doubt myself? I hope it was just the heat but ive been beating myself up about it all week

Hey Krusty

Just had a look over a few training plans, Hal Higdon, RW etc. You are of course right about back to back 21 milers. I have 800s today, 12 miles on Thursday evening and will then look at around 16-17 miles on Saturday if the legs feel up to it. No point injuring myself at this point!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Roadpounder

Hi all
    Wondering if there are pacers in the Marathon this year. Just starting running since January, played a lot of GAA and soccer up to about 6 yrs ago. troweled on the pounds big time:(. So decided end of last year to lose the wobbles and try and get back to fighting fit weigh again.
    the BIG 40 is approaching next year,so pulled on the hoodies, track pants and hit the road. Before you know it, you are addicted! Lost about 2.5 stone to date(diet important as well as running) Ran the relay in the Cork Marathon with my sis and loved it. Running between 35-40 mls a week at moment, ran the Dingle Half on Sat and finished at 1.43. Was initailly dissapointed as had run a couple of training runs in 1.39-1.40, but when I look back at the Dingle route, it was a tough haul from 6 miles on (never forget mile 11:eek:).
    My real problem would be pacing myself, took off a little quick on sat running approx 7.35 a mile for first 6 mls. but faded in middle section, would love to come in around 3.30 to 3.45 for marathon(am i dreaming:)), at least if there was a pacer, I wouldnt be tearing off like a madman as in dingle!

• Advertisement

"My real problem would be pacing myself, took off a little quick on sat running approx 7.35 a mile for first 6 mls. but faded in middle section, would love to come in around 3.30 to 3.45 for marathon(am i dreamingsmile.gif), at least if there was a pacer, I wouldnt be tearing off like a madman as in dingle"

I don't think you'll have too much of a problem pacing yourself at the begining of the Marathon. It took me over 10 minutes to do first mile last year as there was such a big crowd. And this year is going to be bigger!!
    The thing is not to panic after the first couple of miles and go off like a mad-man trying to make up for the lost time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just got myself a pair of DS trainers for the marathon. I was going to wear Nike marathoners but theres feckall support in them and Id be crippled for weeks after. The DS trainers are a nice medium - not as light as the nike marathoners or a racing shoe but not as heavy as a conventional training shoe like the Nimbus or kyano.

Just wondering what runners everybody else will be wearing on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

tunguska wrote: »
    Just got myself a pair of DS trainers for the marathon. I was going to wear Nike marathoners but theres feckall support in them and Id be crippled for weeks after. The DS trainers are a nice medium - not as light as the nike marathoners or a racing shoe but not as heavy as a conventional training shoe like the Nimbus or kyano.

Just wondering what runners everybody else will be wearing on the day?

Was going to go with the Marathoners myself, but if they don't suit a <2'35er flyer like yourself, then they'll hardly suit a lumbering 6'3 wannabe <3'11er like me....
    I'll prob go with the new adidas Supernova Glides, I know they'll work and they're a lot lighter than anything asics have....

Just invested in a pair of Brooks Infinity 2. Last two pairs were Supernovas but my arches were acting up on longer runs. Guys in Runways reckoned there was better arch support in the Brooks than the Adidas. I was just using them on shorter runs and track for last couple of weeks. Will do 12 miles in them tonight and see how I go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Gona be an optimist too with 3 hours 13 mins!
    Oryx wrote: »
    SUB 2'50"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"
    smmoore79 3' 13'

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"
    Dundalk

SUB 4'00"

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

Forgot I posted in this, have had to reconsider my time as my training has been pants, no longer doing the allstar plan, only entering to complete rather than compete, timewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

christeb wrote: »
    Was going to go with the Marathoners myself, but if they don't suit a <2'35er flyer like yourself, then they'll hardly suit a lumbering 6'3 wannabe <3'11er like me....
    I'll prob go with the new adidas Supernova Glides, I know they'll work and they're a lot lighter than anything asics have....

The nike marathoners may yet suit you christeb. I have flat feet so I need lots of support. Although I tried them on in the shop and there didnt seem to be an awful lot of cushion between me and the ground. I think they'd be high risk for me but like I said, could be ok for you.
    Im intrigued by these supernovas you speak off though........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

tunguska wrote: »
    The nike marathoners may yet suit you christeb. I have flat feet so I need lots of support. Although I tried them on in the shop and there didnt seem to be an awful lot of cushion between me and the ground. I think they'd be high risk for me but like I said, could be ok for you.
    Im intrigued by these supernovas you speak off though........

I don't think they'd be lighter than the DS Trainers, and you know these work for you so don't go tinkering with fate at this stage of play!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

So experienced runners out there hopefully you can give an insight...seeing as i couldnt enter the half, i pushed some extra miles into DCM training instead and ran 18mi on grass in 2h38m yesterday (furthest distance yet). Now my query: could any of you give a prediction on a finishing time for myself based on those two figures? i dont use a garmin/polar device so cannot provide mi per min etc...

Oh i ran all that based on having a decent diet, getting wholemeal carbs in around an hour before the run and a pint of water 30 mins before. I dont use gels as i dont know where i could pick up some vegetarian friendly ones (not sure if they would contain gelatin etc):(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I dont use gels as i dont know where i could pick up some vegetarian friendly ones (not sure if they would contain gelatin etc):(

Why don't you check out the ingredients, then? A quick google for "powergel ingredients" reveals:

Ingredients:
    Maltodextrin, filtered water, fructose and less than 2% of; natural flavor, citric acid, powerbar, amino acid blend (leucine, valine, isoleucine), potassium chloride, chloride, salt, sodium citrate, sodium benzoate, and potassium sorbate (to retard spoilage), antioxidant vitamin c and e.

(from here: http://www.suppsearch.com/ingredients.php?id=power-gel-2820)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

MoN - all High5 gels are vegetarian-friendly (statement here), and you can get them at Health Matters on Grafton Street and I think you can get them in Cycle Superstore too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

So experienced runners out there hopefully you can give an insight...seeing as i couldnt enter the half, i pushed some extra miles into DCM training instead and ran 18mi on grass in 2h38m yesterday (furthest distance yet). Now my query: could any of you give a prediction on a finishing time for myself based on those two figures? i dont use a garmin/polar device so cannot provide mi per min etc...

Oh i ran all that based on having a decent diet, getting wholemeal carbs in around an hour before the run and a pint of water 30 mins before. I dont use gels as i dont know where i could pick up some vegetarian friendly ones (not sure if they would contain gelatin etc):(

There's a good book called The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier, its pretty much a raw food / vegan based sports nutrition book. In my opinion it would be a little hard to maintain as a daily diet.

But he has recipes for homemade sports drinks and energy gels. I've made his sports drinks and they're really good (made from lemon, lime, agave nectar, dates, water and sea-salt) and i'm waiting for a gel flask to come in the post to try his gel recipes.

If you're interested i can post or pm you the recipe.

Thank you very much fellow runners, helpful to the last!:)

asimonov wrote: »
    There's a good book called The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier, its pretty much a raw food / vegan based sports nutrition book. In my opinion it would be a little hard to maintain as a daily diet.

But he has recipes for homemade sports drinks and energy gels. I've made his sports drinks and they're really good (made from lemon, lime, agave nectar, dates, water and sea-salt) and i'm waiting for a gel flask to come in the post to try his gel recipes.

If you're interested i can post or pm you the recipe.
    This might be a good idea for a thread on the Vegan and Vegetarian Forum about exercise and sport participants who are veggie/vegan etc:) Cheers.

chez-moi wrote: »
    Just invested in a pair of Brooks Infinity 2. Last two pairs were Supernovas but my arches were acting up on longer runs. Guys in Runways reckoned there was better arch support in the Brooks than the Adidas. I was just using them on shorter runs and track for last couple of weeks. Will do 12 miles in them tonight and see how I go

I got a pair of them when i started my training and ive had no problems with them at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KJL3

hi , have been following the thread for a while but haven't posted as yet. It's a great motivator have to say. Use is to make me get out the door in the evening when the couch is more tempting option. I think the pacers are a great idea - are they still on the cards? does anybody know? - i'm sure there was a recent post on this but just didn't see it.

As for time - hoping for BQ 3.10.59, need to get 5 mins of last years time, training thus far doesn't really match up though, looks good in my mind though :rolleyes: - you never know.
    happy long run today everyone, looks like a nice day for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

KJL3 wrote: »
    hi , have been following the thread for a while but haven't posted as yet. It's a great motivator have to say. Use is to make me get out the door in the evening when the couch is more tempting option. I think the pacers are a great idea - are they still on the cards? does anybody know? - i'm sure there was a recent post on this but just didn't see it.

As for time - hoping for BQ 3.10.59, need to get 5 mins of last years time, training thus far doesn't really match up though, looks good in my mind though :rolleyes: - you never know.
    happy long run today everyone, looks like a nice day for it

The pacers are still on, hopefully they'll be fit and ready to go on the day.
    Thats a good time your going for - good luck, are you happy with your training up to now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KJL3

gerard65 wrote: »
    The pacers are still on, hopefully they'll be fit and ready to go on the day.
    Thats a good time your going for - good luck, are you happy with your training up to now?

Great thanks for info. Training going ok. The forum here has been a help in terms of advice re pace and general tips over last 2 years. Going to do a few loops of phoenix park in morning for 20miler at 8 min/mile pace. Problem I see is sustaining 7.15/mile pace in the race itself. Always seem to slow in the last 5/6 miles. Think it's a lot to do with not keeping hydrated enough in the race itself over last few years - that, and the whole phenomenon of '26.2 miles' which i've never really come to terms with! If only they'd shorten it, for just one year. Can't really see a petition working on that one :)

Oryx wrote: »
    SUB 2'50"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"
    Dundalk
    Master of Nothing (training going very well, think i can edge out MacMillan guesstimate time of 3:47)

SUB 4'00"

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

Hoping all goes to plan for a first marathon and get it in under 3:45 as training is going really nicely that the hurling season has died down alot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

KJL3 wrote: »
    Always seem to slow in the last 5/6 miles. Think it's a lot to do with not keeping hydrated enough in the race itself over last few years - that, and the whole phenomenon of '26.2 miles' which i've never really come to terms with! If only they'd shorten it, for just one year. Can't really see a petition working on that one :)

As Rob DeCastella once said, everyone can run 20 miles. It's the 6 afterwards that count.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ciaran15

SUB 2'50"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"

Ciaran15 3'13'00''

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"
    Dundalk
    Master of Nothing (training going very well, think i can edge out MacMillan guesstimate time of 3:47)

SUB 4'00"

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

• Advertisement

I'm sure there are lots of forum members doing the Dublin half on Saturday. How are you approaching training this week. Is it better to ease off a little or is it business as usual, withe the big one yet to come. Personally I done 10KM tempo last night and considering 10 mile tonight with 6 x 800m tomorrow. I was then going to take a couple of days off befe half and do 6 miler on Sunday. Should still add up to around 38 miles for the week. Best of luck to everyone doing the half

Advertisement