Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

chez-moi wrote: »
    I'm sure there are lots of forum members doing the Dublin half on Saturday. How are you approaching training this week. Is it better to ease off a little or is it business as usual, withe the big one yet to come. Personally I done 10KM tempo last night and considering 10 mile tonight with 6 x 800m tomorrow. I was then going to take a couple of days off befe half and do 6 miler on Sunday. Should still add up to around 38 miles for the week. Best of luck to everyone doing the half

Well I did 10 miles last night with 6 miles at PMP (a tough enough session actually). Plan for the rest of the week:

Tues: 7miles easy
    Wed: 10 miles medium effort
    Thurs: Rest
    Frid: Rest
    Sat: Race
    Sun: Gonna see how I feel but want to get 14m in if not Sun then Monday.

Everyone is at a different level and some people recover sooner after a race. I'll def be resting two days before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cdelboy

I'm had Monday off but plan for rest of week is:

Tonight - 10m Easy
    Wed - 8m Steady
    Thurs - 6m Easy
    Friday - Rest
    Sat - Race
    Sun - 4-5m recovery run

So should be in or around 40m for the week.

Actually...just wondering what people's views are on pacing for the half? As the race is only 4 wks before the DCM do people plan to run it as a race, i.e. best possible time, or take it that bit easier, avoid injury and enjoy the day!?

I feel that i'm capable of an 80min half based on previous times this year but I have my last big week of DCM training in store the week after the 26th. Wondering if I would be better off running it at marathon pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

I know injury advice isn't allowed here, so I'm not asking for injury advice. My physio can help me with that, but he doesn't know much about marathon training.
    The long runs for my last 5 weeks of training before tapering were going to be:
    13 (Dublin half)

Unfortunately I missed an entire week of training, including the 20 mile run. I'm just wondering, operating on the presumption that the injury is now irrelevant, how to manage the last few weeks. Should I skip the half and do two consecutive weeks of 20/22? Would 13 and 20 suffice? Could I cut back on some of the taper to squeeze in an extra 20, given that I've just had a full week's rest?
    One way or the other, it's less than ideal. But just wondering how to make the best of an awkward situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I'm sure there are lots of forum members doing the Dublin half on Saturday. How are you approaching training this week. Is it better to ease off a little or is it business as usual, withe the big one yet to come. Personally I done 10KM tempo last night and considering 10 mile tonight with 6 x 800m tomorrow. I was then going to take a couple of days off befe half and do 6 miler on Sunday. Should still add up to around 38 miles for the week. Best of luck to everyone doing the half

Heres my plan for the week. Little bit of a taper before the race as last week I had a fairly tough one and then adding on a bit of volume to get the weekly mileage up after the race.

Monday - weekly rest day
    Tuesday- 10 mile tempo run
    Wed - 12 miles at a pace lower than the tempo but not slow and easy either.
    Thursday - 5 miles at 7 mins/mile + some light weight training
    Friday - Rest (maybe a bit of yoga)
    Saturday - race + 10 miles easy pace after.
    Sunday - Depends on how much of a bite the previous day took, but at least 14 miles @ 7 mins/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Unfortunately I missed an entire week of training, including the 20 mile run. I'm just wondering, operating on the presumption that the injury is now irrelevant, how to manage the last few weeks. Should I skip the half and do two consecutive weeks of 20/22? Would 13 and 20 suffice? Could I cut back on some of the taper to squeeze in an extra 20, given that I've just had a full week's rest?
    One way or the other, it's less than ideal. But just wondering how to make the best of an awkward situation.

One week of lost training isn't all that significant. Get back to your plan as if you had continued training. In other words, do the half. That's assuming you're not inured anymore, of course.

And whatever you do, do NOT cut your taper short and do NOT, I repeat, do NOT add an extra 20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

SUB 2'50"
    tunguska 2'34 balls on chopping block

SUB 3'00"
    Lex Luther 2:58.59
    Abhainn (2:59:59 will do for now)
    TFBubendorfer (2:59:59 will do nicely for me, too)

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL
    christeb (very optimistic this early on...) 3:10:59 (Peckham Pacer)
    MCOS 3'10'59" Feic it may as well go for it

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"
    Ciaran15 3'13'00''

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL
    AndrewDhuey (join me, anyone? I BQed last April for next year; this would be for 2011).
    figs 3:20:00 - always the optimist!
    Earlyevening 3:15 - 3:25

SUB 3'30"
    MrCreosote 3:29:59
    Plodder 3:29:59.5
    Potsy11 3:26:00
    Woddlesure we'll give it a lash
    ULstudent 3:25 or there abouts
    WhitestBoyAlive Finally plunging

SUB 3'45"
    ManFromAtlantis 3:39
    nutzzz123 3:44:59
    Eliwallach (with the help of HM)
    Louthandproud (this is roughly where McMillian puts me)
    Dundalk
    Master of Nothing (training going very well, think i can edge out MacMillan guesstimate time of 3:47)

SUB 4'00"
    Hardy Eustace 3:59:59 (Go team Peckham)
    osnola ivax 3:59:59 (amadeus allstars)
    RacoonQueen - as close as possible to 3:45 (Peckhams Pacers)
    menoscemo 3:59:30
    nomadic (for now , maybe 3.45)
    hawkwing 3:59:59
    Oisin11178 3:59:59 (maybe lower)
    jrar (out loud time) 3:54:59 - dreamland time - 3:44:59
    Sharktale 3:53:59
    actwithoutwords officially 3:59:59, but would love to get close to 3:45
    Krusty_Clown - pacer - 3:59:59 - If you see me go past you, then you're not SUB 4'00" any more.
    How Strange 3.58.57 According to my 10m finish time on mcmillan

SUB 4'30"
    Sub430 (what's in a name?) Also amadeus allstars
    Rainbow Kirby (amadeus allstars - 4:30 is my inner child goal, 4:45 is probably more realistic)
    Munster_Gal (Amadeus All Stars)
    Spaceylou 4:29:59 or below will make me happy - actually just finishing will make me happy but I need a target!
    IronTractorBoy 4:29:59
    Blueskye (maybe a bit ambitious)
    poppy08 (or nearest offerredface.gif)
    Chez-moi hopefully sub 4:10
    Gerard65 4:20 (10min/ml)

SUB 5'00"
    Racheljev - all on me ownio
    Bally8 (just want to finish but 4:59:59 would be nice)
    Oryx just wants to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭nutzzz123

gerard65 wrote: »
    SUB 2'50"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"
    Ciaran15 3'13'00''

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL
    AndrewDhuey (join me, anyone? I BQed last April for next year; this would be for 2011).

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"
    Dundalk
    Master of Nothing (training going very well, think i can edge out MacMillan guesstimate time of 3:47)

SUB 4'00"
    Krusty_Clown - pacer - 3:59:59 - If you see me go past you, then you're not SUB 4'00" any more.

SUB 4'30"
    Rainbow Kirby (amadeus allstars - 4:30 is my inner child goal, 4:45 is probably more realistic)
    Spaceylou 4:29:59 or below will make me happy - actually just finishing will make me happy but I need a target!

SUB 5'00"

Decided not to run marathon this year due to stress fracture I suffered a few weeks back. Best of luck to everyone on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭OrlaBar

Hey guys,

I did the marathon last year, unfortunatley, I am not doing it this year :mad:, I damaged my knee alot in the last years,, and I put that down to not stretching enough before the Marathon , I didn't give myself enough time to get there and warm up, stretch etc......

All I wanted to say is, it is such a GREAT experience , if you have never done it before, I would gladly do it every single year if I could, and Im so pee'd off im not doing it this year.. but I'll be giving out Jaffa cakes at around 20 miles ;)

Just wanted to wish you all the best and enjoy every single minute.. its such a great day !!!! such an achievment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

SUB 2'50"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"
    Ciaran15 3'13'00''

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"
    Dundalk

kennyb3 3.40 will do nicely please

SUB 4'00"

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chloee

Hey Guys,

I have just recently started running, around June this year, and have ran the 10 mile in Phoenix Park, due to run the 13 mile this Sat. What I was wondering is if its to premature to think about doing the full 26 mile in Dublin in October. Does anyone have any advice or ideas on how to prepare. I don't want to be presumptuous in thinking that I can do it, because I know it is a real test of mental and physical endurance.

Any advice?

thanks

• Advertisement

Chloee wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I have just recently started running, around June this year, and have ran the 10 mile in Phoenix Park, due to run the 13 mile this Sat. What I was wondering is if its to premature to think about doing the full 26 mile in Dublin in October. Does anyone have any advice or ideas on how to prepare. I don't want to be presumptuous in thinking that I can do it, because I know it is a real test of mental and physical endurance.

Any advice?

thanks

You could run it, But unless you've actually trained for a marathon( followed a 12 or 16 week plan) you'll will suffer during and after the race and may risk injury. My advice would be to plan for a marathon in the spring, get yourself a suitable training plan, books or free on the web.
    www.halhigdon.com is a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

One week of lost training isn't all that significant. Get back to your plan as if you had continued training. In other words, do the half. That's assuming you're not inured anymore, of course.

And whatever you do, do NOT cut your taper short and do NOT, I repeat, do NOT add an extra 20.

Thanks a lot for that. Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chloee

You could run it, But unless you've actually trained for a marathon( followed a 12 or 16 week plan) you'll will suffer during and after the race and may risk injury. My advice would be to plan for a marathon in the spring, get yourself a suitable training plan, books or free on the web.
    www.halhigdon.com is a good starting point.

thanks! the website you suggested has some good advice and details on training. I will definitely take a good look at this. A springtime Marathon might just be a better option. got some thinking to do!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Hi all,

I did the Dingle full a few weeks ago, also plan on doing the Dublin full at the end of Oct. I'm going to be in Cork next weekend and was thinking of doing the Cork to Cobh 15mile race - a good idea for keeping things ticking over or too much in a short period? Can't decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Any word on the elite lineup for this year?
    Was considering taking some time out of work to watch it as it'll be coming right by our offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

anyone else freaked when someone in their workplace starts coughing. girl in our office was out for 2days comes back in but is obviously still carrying germs. cutting the whole training business tight enough as it is so really cant afford to be sick and lose a lsr. loading up on multi vitamins, iron, vitamin c and calcium. i pray i dont get sick

macinalli wrote: »
    Hi all,

I did the Dingle full a few weeks ago, also plan on doing the Dublin full at the end of Oct. I'm going to be in Cork next weekend and was thinking of doing the Cork to Cobh 15mile race - a good idea for keeping things ticking over or too much in a short period? Can't decide!

I did exactly the same schedule and asked around if running Cork-to-Cobh would be a good idea.

Out of 6 people asked, 6 said it's a really bad idea. Cork-to-Cobh will be taking place without me.

:oHi there

Im just trying to get back jogging after last years

Sorry to ask, I am crap on Google!! I did 10 laps of a rugby pitch today.. anyone have ANY idea what mile one lap is ... we are talking the white line all the way around.... running on it...??

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Dundalk

OrlaBar wrote: »

Sorry to ask, I am crap on Google!! I did 10 laps of a rugby pitch today.. anyone have ANY idea what mile one lap is ... we are talking the white line all the way around.... running on it...??

Try this website

http://www.mapmyrun.com

OrlaBar wrote: »

Difficult to give an exact answer because the sizes differ. A standard rugby pitch can be no longer than 144m long (including the dead ball line) by 70m wide. So ballpark(sic) figure - 5 laps to the mile?? As I'd say most pitches are smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JPG74

Hello All,
    I've just registered for the marathon this year (I did it in 2007 but missed last year). I was wondering if anyone has found their midweek runs much of a struggle after a tough long run. I struggled round a tough 18 miles course last weekend but I've really found my runs this week very hard going.

Maybe I'm just having a whinge.

JP

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I did exactly the same schedule and asked around if running Cork-to-Cobh would be a good idea.

Out of 6 people asked, 6 said it's a really bad idea. Cork-to-Cobh will be taking place without me.

6 out of 6 is pretty unanimous - sounds like a sensible approach. Thought I was over Dingle but found last nights run tough which put doubts in my mind. Will try to save things for Dublin instead. Out of curiousity - what's the longest run I should take on over the next 2-3 weeks? Want to recover fully from Dingle but likewise don't want to let the fitness slip...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 runningfixated

Hi all

Running since march hoping to do the dublin marathon this year, can you answer the following two questions

1) i have followed Brendan Oshea training program in the irish runner from all training has gone very well. the program calls for 4 x 20 miles runs however over the last three weeks i have only done 1. the first i couldn't do as i was very tried stopped at about 13 and went home not too worried as it was my first setback in training, following week did approx 20 in the heat and last week did 13 and came home and actually got into bed i was so tired. i had hoped to do 3 x 20 then the half then 1 x 20, and finally a 18 two weeks out.

Is it too late i might do a 20 instead of the half and then 20/18/13/race

it this ok, also what effect has missing two 20 have on my performance

Thanks in advance for any advice, this is my first marathon and had hoped to do 3.30 but my belief is a little shaken after the setback

2) not sure if any one suffers from this but sometimes i get so far and while my body if fine, i often getting anxoius regarding the distance this is also a worry for the big day as getting to 20 may be only half my problem then there is the last 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Any word on the elite lineup for this year?
    Was considering taking some time out of work to watch it as it'll be coming right by our offices.

Naumov, last years winner, will be back to defend his title. Sokolov, the record holder, is also coming, and he hopes to run 2.08.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Dundalk

Naumov, last years winner, will be back to defend his title. Sokolov, the record holder, is also coming, and he hopes to run 2.08.

Ill have him in my pocket this year :cool:

:eek:
    Difficult to give an exact answer because the sizes differ. A standard rugby pitch can be no longer than 144m long (including the dead ball line) by 70m wide. So ballpark(sic) figure - 5 laps to the mile?? As I'd say most pitches are smaller.

Thanks for that 10 laps is two miles ! ah :eek: to think I ran 26.2 last year and now Im back to square one because of the injury from the last Marathon ah!! going around a field is abit boring, think I'll get back on the road

Thanks for the response guys!;)

macinalli wrote: »
    6 out of 6 is pretty unanimous - sounds like a sensible approach. Thought I was over Dingle but found last nights run tough which put doubts in my mind. Will try to save things for Dublin instead. Out of curiousity - what's the longest run I should take on over the next 2-3 weeks? Want to recover fully from Dingle but likewise don't want to let the fitness slip...

Impossible to say. I'll adapt depending on how well I feel recovered from Dingle, but I definitely expect to do at least one 15 mile run, maybe 2, and I might bump one of them up to 18.

As I've said, it depends on how I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

1) i have followed Brendan Oshea training program in the irish runner from all training has gone very well. the program calls for 4 x 20 miles runs however over the last three weeks i have only done 1. the first i couldn't do as i was very tried stopped at about 13 and went home not too worried as it was my first setback in training, following week did approx 20 in the heat and last week did 13 and came home and actually got into bed i was so tired. i had hoped to do 3 x 20 then the half then 1 x 20, and finally a 18 two weeks out.

Thanks in advance for any advice, this is my first marathon and had hoped to do 3.30 but my belief is a little shaken after the setback

2) not sure if any one suffers from this but sometimes i get so far and while my body if fine, i often getting anxoius regarding the distance this is also a worry for the big day as getting to 20 may be only half my problem then there is the last 6
    Lots of beginner programs only feature one 20 mile run, but it certainly wouldn't hurt (much!) to do another one and would likely help, particularly with the nerves. Are you sure you're not doing your long runs too quickly? Are you taking on liquids and some kind of fuel? 20 Miles two weeks in a row wouldn't be a good idea, particularly if you're new to the 20 mile runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

Hi all

Running since march hoping to do the dublin marathon this year, can you answer the following two questions

Runningfixated, I would have been the same last year. 17 mile mark was a real mental block. I done 2 things fuelled up during run (fluids, high 5 energy bars and a gel or 2). I still do get a bit anxious after the 20 mile mark, but i try and chunk the race down into blocks. First 8 miles, half distance, 18 miles and then after about the 20 mile mark it's one at a time. But I always try and visualise myself on one of my local training runs for the last 5 or 6.

One other thing is the last mile is a special experiance. It's the nearest 99% of us will get to feeling like a professional athlete. People are cheering you on, kids put their hands out giving you high 5's and then at the end hopefully you have some family or friends to share the accomplishment with you. So really it's only 25 mile the crowd will carry you through the last one. PMA Positive Mental Attitude

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

First 8 miles, half distance, 18 miles and then after about the 20 mile mark it's one at a time. But I always try and visualise myself on one of my local training runs for the last 5 or 6.

One other thing is the last mile is a special experiance. It's the nearest 99% of us will get to feeling like a professional athlete. People are cheering you on, kids put their hands out giving you high 5's and then at the end hopefully you have some family or friends to share the accomplishment with you. So really it's only 25 mile the crowd will carry you through the last one. PMA Positive Mental Attitude

S

That's a neat psychological trick.
    I'm thinking, 10 mile, 10 mile then 10Km ;).
    It seems to be working during the LSR too (although the last 10km was in my head only - but I felt I could have done it).
    In last year's DCM, it was at mile 22 that I ran (walked :() into trouble, but the warning signs were there from mile 18 onwards.
    Thing is, in training when doing a 20 mile LSR and you hit mile 18 and you are feeling ropey, you know that you only have 2 miles left so it is possible to suffer on for the last 2 miles. However, when it's the real deal and tou hit mile 18 feeling ropey there's still 8 miles+ left to run. That's where the mind must take over.
    The body will carry you for 18 miles but the mind must take over for the final 8 (although as chez-moi says, the spectators should take care of the last mile and a bit).

Advertisement