Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Think I may be out watching it this year rather than running. Back training this week had one decent attempt at a confidence booster.. 14 miles at PMP during the week. Felt very tight behind the right knee after and picked up a scratch of some sort on my ankle. Took yesterday off then an easy run this morning has left back of the knee feeling like tough leather and the ankle has swelled so much in work I've had to take off my shoe... So much for a LSR this weekend. Even if I am fresh enough to run it, 3'10 is out the window :mad: I managed to do a whole Tri season with no injury (well apart from the knee gash) but now 2 in one leg! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

MCOS wrote: »
    Think I may be out watching it this year rather than running.
    I have been following this forum for a few months now (I too am training for the D.C.M. and I get HUGE inspiration from reading the training logs) but never had the courage to post. But my heart goes out to people like MCOS, Bally8, O.I. etc. when their training grinds to a halt as these are the type people whose infectious enthusiasm and contribution to this forum keeps so many people going who, perhaps, would have stopped ages ago. MCOS there are still a few weeks left and you have a great base fitness. Would you not consider a good sports physio? You still have time to get back on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Wilbury wrote: »
    I have been following this forum for a few months now (I too am training for the D.C.M. and I get HUGE inspiration from reading the training logs) but never had the courage to post. But my heart goes out to people like MCOS, Bally8, O.I. etc. when their training grinds to a halt as these are the type people whose infectious enthusiasm and contribution to this forum keeps so many people going who, perhaps, would have stopped ages ago.

Wow thanks Wilbury, what a lovely post:) Best of luck with the training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Bally8 wrote: »
    Wow thanks Wilbury, what a lovely post:) Best of luck with the training

+1, this post really spurred me on last night, thanks, good luck with dcm. I'd love to know the percentage of people who have done a marathon in their lifetime. We will be in that small % when this is all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Is anyone else suddenly REALLY looking forward to it after doing the half today?

• Advertisement

Is anyone else suddenly REALLY looking forward to it after doing the half today?

Can't wait RK, can see how you would be looking forward to it especially though, ya dark horse, where d'ye pull that one out of. You really deserved it though after all of those miles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

No, in fact I got a bit scared, thinking I'll never be able to keep up the pace I did for the half...and I've got a few niggles I'm hoping my physio can sort out but that doubt is there...it made me realise just what a big deal the marathon is :eek: But bring it on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

+1, night, I'd love to know the percentage of people who have done a marathon in their lifetime. quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I'm definitely looking forward to the DCM now after the half yesterday. Is there an elevation map available yet for this years course - I noticed yesterday that alot of people who may not have been familiar with the route tended to get taken by surprise by the hills - luckily someone had mentioned the one between 11 and 12 on the boards during the week. This time for the full I'd like to be fully prepared (mentally as well as physically!) as I made a hames of the Achill Half by going off like a lunatic and then getting to mile 9 and then finding out that was where they were keeping all the hills!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I totally am. Bring on 4 weeks time.... 4 weeks tomorrow - thats mad. Thats the only good thing about having the half so close to the full - not long to wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

think im on for dcm. really happy after yesterday. ill for sure do it if i get an 18mile run down next weekend - either that or the cork to cobh with mile ir 2 warm up and cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭aero2k

Yep!
    I'd like an extra week or two to prepare, but I get shivers up my spine when I imagine lining up at the start or getting to the top of the hill on Foster's Avenue. Bring it on....

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Raging_Hull

This is my first attempt at a marathon and I have to agree that an event like yesterdays race makes the training really seem worth while :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I'm definitely looking forward to the DCM now after the half yesterday. Is there an elevation map available yet for this years course - I noticed yesterday that alot of people who may not have been familiar with the route tended to get taken by surprise by the hills - luckily someone had mentioned the one between 11 and 12 on the boards during the week. This time for the full I'd like to be fully prepared (mentally as well as physically!) as I made a hames of the Achill Half by going off like a lunatic and then getting to mile 9 and then finding out that was where they were keeping all the hills!

The hill after you leave the phoenix park and chapelizod is quite difficult, steep 200m section, could knock you out of your rhythm if your not ready, its at approx mile 9. But the hill at mile 19/20 before foster avenue is like everest, just as you are hitting the wall, short and sharp folowed by a gradual decline towards the RTE studios. the last 5 miles are mostly flat, barring the humpback bridge over the canal at the treasury building. Parnell square at mile 1 to 2 is the only other hill of note but its so soon after the start its insignificant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Is anyone else suddenly REALLY looking forward to it?

I am so, so excited it's ridiculous :D:D:D Especially now that I'm an ex-pat, there's something extra special about coming home for my first marathon. All I can think about is running down Nassau Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I ran a great race on Saturday, was feeling on top of the world and very confident for a sub 4 in the marathon.

I woke up yesterday morning and I had a cough but I'd had a few drinks Sat night and thought I had abit of a hangover. By the afternoon, I was flat out on the sofa with a terrible cough, aches and pains and feeling dizzy.

I'm off to the doctor this morning but I suspect it's a chest infection. September's training wasn't as good as it should have been for a few reasons and I'd hoped to put in three solid weeks of training starting today. Today I can hardly walk from the bed to the sofa without coughing and wheezing.

What happens if I have a chest infection? I assume I'm out of action for this week. Does that put my marathon plans at risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Regarding hills for the marathon!

One at parnell st but thats grand
    One at Chaplizard which is tough
    There is long gradual climb in crumlin thats a pain if the wind is in your face!
    Milltown hill is short but steep
    Clonskeagh hill is just long and feels forever
    Roebuck Castle is small but sharp but you have the big hill down at foster avenue so keep that in mind to get you up the hill!

Another one to rte studios and then its grand :0

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

What happens if I have a chest infection? I assume I'm out of action for this week. Does that put my marathon plans at risk?

Do everything your doc tells you. Supposed the doc says to take a week off and after 4 days you think you're practically over it - take the full week anyways. If you lose and LSR or 2, then so be it. At this stage you'll be quite prone to picking up colds etc - it's worth making sure you recover rather than going back early and making it worse....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great to see so many Boardsies signed up...I'm in!

SUB 2'50"
    tunguska 2'34 balls on chopping block

SUB 3'00"
    Lex Luther 2:58.59
    Abhainn (2:59:59 will do for now)
    TFBubendorfer (2:59:59 will do nicely for me, too)

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL
    christeb (very optimistic this early on...) 3:10:59 (Peckham Pacer)
    MCOS 3'10'59" Feic it may as well go for it

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"
    Ciaran15 3'13'00''

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL
    AndrewDhuey (join me, anyone? I BQed last April for next year; this would be for 2011).
    figs 3:20:00 - always the optimist!
    Earlyevening 3:15 - 3:25

SUB 3'30"
    MrCreosote 3:29:59
    Plodder 3:29:59.5
    Potsy11 3:26:00
    Woddlesure we'll give it a lash
    ULstudent 3:25 or there abouts
    WhitestBoyAlive Finally plunging

SUB 3'45"
    ManFromAtlantis 3:39

Izoard 3:44
    nutzzz123 3:44:59
    Eliwallach (with the help of HM)
    Louthandproud (this is roughly where McMillian puts me)
    Dundalk
    Master of Nothing (training going very well, think i can edge out MacMillan guesstimate time of 3:47)

kennyb3 3.40 will do nicely please

SUB 4'00"
    Hardy Eustace 3:59:59 (Go team Peckham)
    osnola ivax 3:59:59 (amadeus allstars)
    RacoonQueen - as close as possible to 3:45 (Peckhams Pacers)
    menoscemo 3:59:30
    nomadic (for now , maybe 3.45)
    hawkwing 3:59:59
    Oisin11178 3:59:59 (maybe lower)
    jrar (out loud time) 3:54:59 - dreamland time - 3:44:59
    Sharktale 3:53:59
    actwithoutwords officially 3:59:59, but would love to get close to 3:45
    Krusty_Clown - pacer - 3:59:59 - If you see me go past you, then you're not SUB 4'00" any more.
    How Strange 3.58.57 According to my 10m finish time on mcmillan

SUB 4'30"
    Sub430 (what's in a name?) Also amadeus allstars
    Rainbow Kirby (amadeus allstars - 4:30 is my inner child goal, 4:45 is probably more realistic)
    Munster_Gal (Amadeus All Stars)
    Spaceylou 4:29:59 or below will make me happy - actually just finishing will make me happy but I need a target!
    IronTractorBoy 4:29:59
    Blueskye (maybe a bit ambitious)
    poppy08 (or nearest offerredface.gif)
    Chez-moi hopefully sub 4:10
    Gerard65 4:20 (10min/ml)

SUB 5'00"
    Racheljev - all on me ownio
    Bally8 (just want to finish but 4:59:59 would be nice)
    Oryx just wants to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

macinalli wrote: »
    Do everything your doc tells you. Supposed the doc says to take a week off and after 4 days you think you're practically over it - take the full week anyways. If you lose and LSR or 2, then so be it. At this stage you'll be quite prone to picking up colds etc - it's worth making sure you recover rather than going back early and making it worse....
    thanks macinalli. It's a viral infection so complete rest for a week. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

SUB 2'50"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL
    MCOS 3'10'59" Feic it may as well go for it

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"
    Ciaran15 3'13'00''

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL
    AndrewDhuey (join me, anyone? I BQed last April for next year; this would be for 2011).

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"

Dundalk
    Master of Nothing (training going very well, think i can edge out MacMillan guesstimate time of 3:47)

SUB 4'00"
    Krusty_Clown - pacer - 3:59:59 - If you see me go past you, then you're not SUB 4'00" any more.

SUB 4'30"
    Rainbow Kirby (amadeus allstars - 4:30 is my inner child goal, 4:45 is probably more realistic)
    Spaceylou 4:29:59 or below will make me happy - actually just finishing will make me happy but I need a target!
    Mr.Marenghi (Amadeus All Stars)

SUB 5'00"

SUB 2'50"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL
    MCOS 3'10'59" Feic it may as well go for it :( I'll still go to the pub though...

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"
    Ciaran15 3'13'00''

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"
    Dundalk

SUB 4'00"

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

No LSRs done due to strain in the calf and twisting my ankle last week. Forcing out some miles and a single LSR to still go for the target, is essentially risking further injury that would jeapordise a more important winter training. I'll see what its like on the day but at best it will be a long jog....

Wilbury wrote: »
    MCOS wrote: »
    Think I may be out watching it this year rather than running.
    I have been following this forum for a few months now (I too am training for the D.C.M. and I get HUGE inspiration from reading the training logs) but never had the courage to post. But my heart goes out to people like MCOS, Bally8, O.I. etc. when their training grinds to a halt as these are the type people whose infectious enthusiasm and contribution to this forum keeps so many people going who, perhaps, would have stopped ages ago. MCOS there are still a few weeks left and you have a great base fitness. Would you not consider a good sports physio? You still have time to get back on track.

Gee thanks for the encouagement Wilbury, very kind post :) I have to be realistic though. Can't remember doing it but ankle twisted last week and swelled up after a run on friday. Swelling down this morning after the weekend off but some bruising remains. Although I am probably fitter than I was this time last year I have no Long runs done. A calf strain that I picked up in the last Tri is still lingering there behind the knee. I'm not making excuses to duck out of the Marathon. I'd actually love to do it but my instinct is telling me to back off this time. I may get through some pain to give it a lash but its not worth the risk of losing a month or more of winter training as next years goals are higher priority

Sorry to hear that MCOS, intelligent decision though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

SUB 2'50"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL
    MCOS 3'10'59" Feic it may as well go for it :( I'll still go to the pub though...

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"
    Ciaran15 3'13'00''

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"
    Dundalk

SUB 4'00"

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

No LSRs done due to strain in the calf and twisting my ankle last week. Forcing out some miles and a single LSR to still go for the target, is essentially risking further injury that would jeapordise a more important winter training. I'll see what its like on the day but at best it will be a long jog....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

SUB 2'50"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL
    MCOS 3'10'59" Feic it may as well go for it I'll still go to the pub though...

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"
    Ciaran15 3'13'00''

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"
    Dundalk

SUB 4'00"

SUB 4'30"
    poppy08 (or nearest offer)
    Sideswipe

SUB 5'00"

Time to put my money were my mouth is. McMillian has me down for 4:00:02 from my time in the half on Saturday. I started off just wanting to get around and now I'm starting to put some pressure on myself to finish sub 4:00 which is probably stupid at this stage but it would be a dream to have a 3 as the first number of my finishing time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

SUB 2'50"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"
    Ciaran15 3'13'00''

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"
    Dundalk

SUB 4'00"
    Amadeus - 3:59 Pacer

SUB 4'30"
    Sideswipe

SUB 5'00"

~~~

Despite my best efforts to avoid it I seem to have been roped in a pacer as one of teh 4 hr guys is carrying a slight knock. And since I was the insurance policy substitute...

Have to admit to feeling slightly nervous as it's only a week after Amsterdam and I'll be at the Liverpool Utd game the day before :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

[quote

Have to admit to feeling slightly nervous as it's only a week after Amsterdam and I'll be at the Liverpool Utd game the day before :eek:[/quote]

you might not be back in time.

if utd are'nt winning in injury time, it might take a bit longer till they score ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

gona aim for 3 hours 13 mins. Half marathon time was 1 hr 21 mins so think 3 hr 13 min is realistic.
    SUB 2'50"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'15"
    Killerz 3'14'59"
    Ciaran15 3'13'00''
    smmoore79 3'13'00''

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"
    Dundalk

SUB 4'00"
    Amadeus - 3:59 Pacer

SUB 4'30"
    Sideswipe

SUB 5'00"

Advertisement