Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

I'm undecided on whether to do the marathon this year, .

rem this is the 30th year and might be a bit special. bigger numbers et

10.6 miles @8:39 pace. happy enough with that all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

30 weeks to marathon. Woohoo!

wonder of they'll have time zones at start?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

i think im gonna register for it,,should be a brilliant buzz this yr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭trevo

i did it in 2007 and was on to do it in 3.30 till i hurt my knee going up goatstown but did it in 3.58 which i was delighted for my first marathon...
    im out this sunday to see how that go's but would love to run it again this year for sure...i started in june last time and done all the pre runs in the park and felt great leading up too it.....

best of luck to every body and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

wonder of they'll have time zones at start?

Three time zones this year I believe. The first one is sub 3.30. Not sure about the split of the other two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SeanMurphy

I'm doing the Great Ireland Run next Sunday too. Hoping to go sub-60 mins.

I'm undecided on whether to do the marathon this year, or whether to do a couple of half marathons and work on my 5k and 10k times this year and target the full in 2010. I'll wait probably until early June before I make a decision though.

Best way to do learn how to swim is to dive into the deep end. :pac:

Ive only been running since the end of january, but as soon as I finish the Bupa 10k im registering for the Dublin City Marathon. Well...if all things go well race day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

tantipie wrote: »
    i think im gonna register for it,,should be a brilliant buzz this yr

How many events is that this year Tantiepie? I've entered 3 and haven't completed any of them so far :( fair play to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

Hey all. Great to be back again. Only discovered last years thread in September, so only had a few posts. Looking forward to this years again. Last year was first Marathon and done 4:02:50. Have to get under the 4 hour mark this time.

Also joined a running club. Enjoying the different sessions like 200 meters and 1km speed sessions. Hopefully these will pay off later in the year. Done 13 miler on Friday evening. Weather was foul, high wind and rain. Managed 1:53. First one so happy with that. Best time for half last year was 1:53:50.

For the 1st timers, I found the online training log brilliant last year. It really kept you focused on your goals. There are plenty out there. I used the training log on www.runnersworld.com.
    Three time zones this year I believe. The first one is sub 3.30. Not sure about the split of the other two.

I heard the second zone is 3:30 to 4:15. A record entry is expected being the 30th anniversary of the Dublin run.

• Advertisement

chez-moi wrote: »
    Hey all. Great to be back again. Only discovered last years thread in September, so only had a few posts. Looking forward to this years again. Last year was first Marathon and done 4:02:50. Have to get under the 4 hour mark this time.

Also joined a running club. Enjoying the different sessions like 200 meters and 1km speed sessions. Hopefully these will pay off later in the year. Done 13 miler on Friday evening. Weather was foul, high wind and rain. Managed 1:53. First one so happy with that. Best time for half last year was 1:53:50.

For the 1st timers, I found the online training log brilliant last year. It really kept you focused on your goals. There are plenty out there. I used the training log on www.runnersworld.com.

I heard the second zone is 3:30 to 4:15. A record entry is expected being the 30th anniversary of the Dublin run.

decent run there chezmoi.

i wonder how time zones would be issued ie based on your last time or for new entries their predicted times ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

decent run there chezmoi.

i wonder how time zones would be issued ie based on your last time or for new entries their predicted times ?

i would imagine it would be too difficult logistically to work off previous results .
    so it will probably just rely on runners honesty about their predicted finishing time.
    hopefully common sense will triumph

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

How many events is that this year Tantiepie? I've entered 3 and haven't completed any of them so far :( fair play to you!
    i just went and signed myself up to 4 in total so far,,only one done tho so far,,lol,,it will come to you:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Just found this site.
    I'll be doing the marathon in Oct. First time for me. Just going to start cranking up the training in the next few weeks. I've no real time in mind but hoping to get 3:30 or so. Hear good things about the whole event though...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Signed up yesterday, found this today... should keep me motivated.

DCM will be my first marathon - got the training underway this morning with a run to work (10miles) - let's hope I can keep the momentum up for the next 30weeks!!

Would love to complete it in under 4hours - there I have signed up and said it out loud. No backing out now!!

Well im tempted to go ahead and enter as well.....
    Ive half registered.. I just need to make the payment. Gonna wait til im sure though. Just hoping that I'll have someone to accompany me on it if i decide to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭OrlaBar

Hey everyone
    I was on this website last year for Marathon 2008 , Im thinking of doing it again this year.. although my knee is giving me some trouble ( after 2008), who here is doing it again??? when will you start to train :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

For all Boards AC members doing this years Dublin marathon whether you be a first timer or an experienced marathoner we are hoping to put together a plan and follow it as a team, this will be done on here and also in the physical world were there will be lsr group runs organised at different locations that will cater for all levels. All new members welcome, keep an eye out for a sticky over the next couple of weeks to tell you what we're about.
    David

OrlaBar wrote: »
    Hey everyone
    I was on this website last year for Marathon 2008 , Im thinking of doing it again this year.. although my knee is giving me some trouble ( after 2008), who here is doing it again??? when will you start to train :):)

welcome back . time to shake a leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Woddle wrote: »
    For all Boards AC members doing this years Dublin marathon whether you be a first timer or an experienced marathoner we are hoping to put together a plan and follow it as a team, this will be done on here and also in the physical world were there will be lsr group runs organised at different locations that will cater for all levels. All new members welcome, keep an eye out for a sticky over the next couple of weeks to tell you what we're about.
    David
    thanks woddle!!

• Advertisement

David

That sounds great woddle...does that include the people who can barely run :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

David

Sounds like a great idea. I take it "affiliated" members/posters can jump into these runs also ? Don't think I'm going to race Dublin myself but may be up for pacing duties as discussed in other posts. Not so sure about this but would still be interested in meeting and running with other Boardies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

That sounds great woddle...does that include the people who can barely run :D

I can't speak for teh current committee but I know that one of teh "founding principles" of teh club was that it was specifically targeted at all levels, not just the quick.

Fair play to you for thinking about the marathon - it's a great goal to aim for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Sounds like a great idea. I take it "affiliated" members/posters can jump into these runs also ? Don't think I'm going to race Dublin myself but may be up for pacing duties as discussed in other posts. Not so sure about this but would still be interested in meeting and running with other Boardies.

I could not see any problems with other affiliated club members joining in on sessions the more the merrier :D and if people want to try it for a week or 2 before commiting to the club thats fine and also as Amadeus said all levels welcome and will most def be catered for and what an offer from theroadrunner to pace runners to a sub 3 in Dublin :D:eek: only messing

just outta interest anybody that did the dub mara last year or any year with a gps forerunner or similar..............what distance did u get . i presume it was more than 26.2 depending on race line. ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

just outta interest anybody that did the dub mara last year or any year with a gps forerunner or similar..............what distance did u get . i presume it was more than 26.2 depending on race line. ta.

My 405 gave a distance of 42.3km = 26.28 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Just gone back to check that, out of curiosity. i had a vague memory of the GPS going on the fritz and losing teh signal for a while but looking at the data it recorded 26.16 miles, so I must have cut a corner somewhere to lose that 0.04 of a mile :P

That said since it has mile 25 as 7:29, mile 26 as 5:40 and the last 0.16 as taking 5:16 I'm not sure how confident I would be of it's tracking...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lukeeman

26.43 and that extra .23 really hurt.

• Advertisement

anyone do the Great Run in the park? was it so crowded that it affected your time? that put me off so didnt do it.

Advertisement