Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Weather is not looking too promising for the big day. I'm wondering if the organisers are going to provide aluminum blankets or equivalent at the end?

I know this was discussed last year here. It would be nice if they could follow the example of our european event marathon organisers. We all have paid a nice heafty fee of €70 + didn't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Abhainn wrote: »
    Weather is not looking too promising for the big day. I'm wondering if the organisers are going to provide aluminum blankets or equivalent at the end?

I know this was discussed last year here. It would be nice if they could follow the example of our european event marathon organisers. We all have paid a nice heafty fee of €70 + didn't we?

I wouldn't bet on it, my lips were blue when I got back to my gf's car up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone got any good transport/parking tips for DCM day?

Had thought I'd take DART from Malahide but according to web time table first one doesn't leave there till 9AM. Does anyone know if there are any special trains running?

Otherwise I'll have to drive in to the city, in which case I don't want to end up walking too far. Is there any convenient parking that can actually be reached on race day with all the barriers and restrictions?

Can you get anywhere near the LUAS green line? This should be handy to get in and out from St. Stephen's green. Last year we parked on Lr. Hatch Street, but as they've moved the first mile, I'd say this will be closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tyrone_03

Hi folks long time lurlker 1st time poster.

I am staying Sunday night in the Croke Park Hotel (it is the only Dublin area us Tyronies know...).

What is the best way to get to the start line on race day?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Abhainn wrote: »
    Weather is not looking too promising for the big day.

Where are you getting this information from Abhainn?
    All of the (unreliable) long range forecasts seem to be pointing to a fine day :confused:?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Tyrone_03 wrote: »
    Hi folks long time lurlker 1st time poster.

I am staying Sunday night in the Croke Park Hotel (it is the only Dublin area us Tyronies know...).

What is the best way to get to the start line on race day?

Thanks in advance.

If your knowledge of Dublin is that limited, I would suggest a taxi as far as Merrion Sq and then follow the hoardes of marathoners who will be making their way to the start area.
    Alternatively, if on foot, head south for O' Connell St when you leave the Croke Park area. Cross O' Connell Bridge, keep moving south past Trinners, then swing a left up Nassau st and along onto Merrion Sq. Then proceed as above.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Raging_Hull

This is a country where they can't predict the weather for the next day! The chances of it being accurate for over a week away are kinda slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Anyone got any good transport/parking tips for DCM day?

Had thought I'd take DART from Malahide but according to web time table first one doesn't leave there till 9AM. Does anyone know if there are any special trains running?

Otherwise I'll have to drive in to the city, in which case I don't want to end up walking too far. Is there any convenient parking that can actually be reached on race day with all the barriers and restrictions?
    if no dart from malahide i would think a bus eireann into the CC might be your best option. wont take too long as with it being a bank holiday there shouldnt be work traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

kennyb3 wrote: »
    if no dart from malahide i would think a bus eireann into the CC might be your best option. wont take too long as with it being a bank holiday there shouldnt be work traffic
    [Bank holiday] + [Bus Service] + [Early Morning] = Crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

[Bank holiday] + [Bus Service] + [Early Morning] = Crap.
    about €50 to €60 quid from drogheada (im guessing there in louth) into town tho. if he goes to teh depot in drogheada he should get one at a correct timetable time. otherwise drive to drumcondra and get a taxi.

• Advertisement

eliwallach wrote: »
    If your knowledge of Dublin is that limited, I would suggest a taxi as far as Merrion Sq and then follow the hoardes of marathoners who will be making their way to the start area.
    Alternatively, if on foot, head south for O' Connell St when you leave the Croke Park area. Cross O' Connell Bridge, keep moving south past Trinners, then swing a left up Nassau st and along onto Merrion Sq. Then proceed as above.
    Good luck.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

eliwallach wrote: »
    Where are you getting this information from Abhainn?
    All of the (unreliable) long range forecasts seem to be pointing to a fine day :confused:?

I refer to http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/ and yesterday the chart for the 26th was looking bad
    Just checked it again now and it looks good! Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Right, after 4 weeks of injury hell, it looks like I'm going to give this a bash. Complete bloody rollercoaster. I've never felt as good as I did at the start of September. And then it all came crashing down in the Phoenix Park one Saturday after running 12 miles on a niggle, and I've spent significant amounts of the last 4 weeks struggling to walk painlessly, let alone run, with endless hip flexor, adductor, groin, and quad injuries in my right leg. In between managing to finish the Dublin half, and an 18 miler last weekend. 2 18 milers are the longest I've done, after missing 2 LSRs in the last month, which is far from ideal. So just hoping adrenaline will keep me going towards the end, and desperately hoping that my right leg doesn't pack up. 200 quids worth of physio later though, I'm not feeling too bad. And 9 miles today at a half decent pace didn't take too much out of me. I'm starting to allow myself to get excited now. I've spent most of the time recently worrying whether I'd make it to the starting line. Just fingers crossed there isn't another disaster in the next 8 days...

EDIT: swear filters?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Let's hope you can stay injury free and that you have a great run on 26th. Best of luck to all taking part in DCM 09. It's been a long road so hopefully we'll all make it to the start line in good shape and the finish line in even better shape!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Ah, the week before the race always gives me a buzz, the official 'Traffic Delay' signs were up around the course today. Started off a 10M run around the Phoenix Park at 8:30 this morning, and the amount of people out running was amazing. Even though it was only 4 degrees.

I cant see anyone pulling out on the 26th at this stage on the grounds of the weather. Could anyone look out the window, and because it's raining ot too cold, decide to 'give it a miss' and sit at home twiddling their thumbs for the morning, after all the months of training?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

have to go to physio first thing tomorrow - knee problem i hope he can fix. No runs since wednesday. Trying to stay optomistic...

have to go to physio first thing tomorrow - knee problem i hope he can fix. No runs since wednesday. Trying to stay optomistic...

I hope it all goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Dundalk

Alright boys and girls, a week to go, how are we all feeling?

Nervous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 conormark

Hey there, what is the problem with your knee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 conormark

Dundalk wrote: »

Nervous?

Wondering what is the best food plan for the week...anyone got ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nervous?

Busy! Way too much college work at the moment to get really stressed about it at the moment.

Got a bit freaked out yesterday when I saw the signs around Terenure for it warning of traffic delays, bit of a reminder that it's almost here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Nervous?

No, more like jaded myself. I never really recovered from the Dingle marathon. I'll still do it, but I'm starting to wonder what I let myself in for ...

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Raging_Hull

At the moment my nervousness is confined to avoiding getting a head cold or worse :eek:. On the Dart in the mornings it seems that I manage to plonk myself beside every sneezer and spluterer in the city. I notice the newspaper getting closer and closer to my nose to form a mask as I slink down behind it. In work I find myself asking people who look even slightly off: "are you sick:confused:" It is becoming a phobia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

i drove the route yesterday, it has made me nervous and excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

Folks

Last year at the start of the race it was about 0 degrees. So it's time to dig out that old sweatshirt or jumper for the start. Also down to Penny's for a cheap pair of gloves that you can toss after a couple of miles. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

The long range forecast is for a mild but damp day. But as we know that could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

A bit of rain won't do any harm! Anyone know if there are any bands playing music on the route, this can be a great addition when the muscles and minds don't want to go any further!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hi Henry, hope it goes well for you.

I'm not nervous, I'm extrememly excited and raring to go, training has been far from perfect and I've missed too many lsr's so I feel like I have nothing to lose at this stage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A bit of rain won't do any harm! Anyone know if there are any bands playing music on the route, this can be a great addition when the muscles and minds don't want to go any further!

You'll probably get one or two. I'd imagine there'll be some sort of samba band or something like that along the way somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

No, more like jaded myself. I never really recovered from the Dingle marathon. I'll still do it, but I'm starting to wonder what I let myself in for ...

Am in a similar boat! Took over 3 weeks to get Dingle out of the legs and then it was time to start getting ready for Dublin. No idea what to expect this time around...

Advertisement