Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

just back from physio - patellar tendonitis, so lots of rest, ice and anti_inflammatories (forgive the crap spelling), so it looks like l'm back on for next monday! :DThanks to all showing concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

just back from physio - patellar tendonitis, so lots of rest, ice and anti_inflammatories (forgive the crap spelling), so it looks like l'm back on for next monday! :DThanks to all showing concern.
    Good to hear it's nothing too serious Henry, in a similar situation to yorself and wrapping myself in cotton wool this week to be on the safe side. Can I ask if you were advised to rest up for the week or if your physio advised getting some runs in? Mine advised doing some bike work in the gym if anything, but I'm dying to get out for a run! Good luck on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just got an e-mail from Wagamamma, which might be of interest (and it's nice to see local businesses jumping on the bandwagon!):

race week offer
    with one week until the dublin marathon wagamama would like to advise our customers who are participating to slow down and carb up!
    produce a copy of your dublin marathon acceptance slip and get 20% off at wagamama dublin and cork valid until 26th oct 2009
    race day offer
    after you've crossed the finish line why not come into wagamama and receive a complimentary side dish or fresh juice with your meal when you show your participant medal.

I'm not affiliated with any oriental-style restaurant. i just like noodles. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Savage! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ciaran15

I may be ahead of myself...or it may have been covered already...but does anyone know if the acceptance slips have been sent? I remember last year we were sent an email with our numbers etc on them to show at the RDS to get the actual numbers...sorry if this is duplicate just not sure if i've missed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They were emailed a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Raging_Hull

Ciaran15 wrote: »
    I may be ahead of myself...or it may have been covered already...but does anyone know if the acceptance slips have been sent? I remember last year we were sent an email with our numbers etc on them to show at the RDS to get the actual numbers...sorry if this is duplicate just not sure if i've missed it

Mine was e-mailed on the 7th Oct, if you are searching for it in your inbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Hey Sideswipe, I've been told to rest completely, which is what I had been doing since saturday and note a considerable improvement already. I know the feeling you have to get out and do a few miles, but I'm trying to focus on getting to the start line. I think also if you're considering a bike work out, that should be okay as long as you jack the saddle up to get your legs straight when the pedals are at the lowest point. Best of luck yourself and hope we all make it.

good offer from Wagamamma - I can see a queue around the block both the night before and the afternoon after...

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Was there an agreement on a Boardsie's meet up after the Marathon yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Was there an agreement on a Boardsie's meet up after the Marathon yet?

The Conrad Hotel (Earlsfort Terrace) is the meeting place for the pacers (alot of whom are Boardsies) and all other boardsied are being encouraged to go there for past-marathon "refreshments".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Just got an e-mail from Wagamamma, which might be of interest (and it's nice to see local businesses jumping on the bandwagon!):

race week offer
    with one week until the dublin marathon wagamama would like to advise our customers who are participating to slow down and carb up!
    produce a copy of your dublin marathon acceptance slip and get 20% off at wagamama dublin and cork valid until 26th oct 2009
    race day offer
    after you've crossed the finish line why not come into wagamama and receive a complimentary side dish or fresh juice with your meal when you show your participant medal.

I'm not affiliated with any oriental-style restaurant. i just like noodles. :)

Where is wagamama in relation to the camden court hotel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Raging_Hull

Wagamamas is in the basement of the Stephens Green Centre, opposite the Gaiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tyrone_03

kwalshe wrote: »
    i drove the route yesterday, it has made me nervous and excited.

What sort of time did you do? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Is there any place to meet up with the official pacers that went out in the most recent email from Jim Aughney?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

getting excited now, less than a week!

it's true about the diversion signs adding to the anticipation - nearly there...

and as has been said, I've never seen so many runners out and about over the past few weeks - it's great to see

I too have been getting some physio and thanks to that I'm back on track (well, to make it to the start line at least) although some training has been missed....just counting down the days now.... and looking forward to the post-race beers already :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 conormark

Really looking for ward to the big race too but I like many others on this thread have been getting physio to get me to the starting line...micro-tares in the calf...annoying! Thanks to great work by my physio and ice ice ice rest rest rest, I'm back jogging again and it's so far so good. Anyone else have a similar problem?

What's everyone's diet plan this week? I've been continuing to eat loads of fruit and veg and have hitting the carbs too. Does any body know a good pre-marathon week diet plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

All the long range weather charts at the moment are showing an almost straight southerly medium breeze which will carry us home from mile 21 :)
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1681.html
    Liable to change though and needs constant watching. (temp about 11-14):)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

Just back from physio myself, slight calf problem, (I hope!!!). I'm like a child at Christmas.... over excited one day...... over tired the next. Bring it on!

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Is there any place to meet up with the official pacers that went out in the most recent email from Jim Aughney?
    As per the Marathon Pacers thread in the main forum, there will not be a stand at the expo. So if you have any questions, I recommend you ask them in that thread.

• Advertisement

thanks .

Just another public service announcement:
    Ireland returns from Daylight savings time on Sunday 25th at 1am, when clocks go back by an hour. So if you're planning on getting that early morning train to Dublin, don't forget to change that clock!
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=78

Krusty...(a mine of useless information).

Just another public service announcement:
    Ireland returns from Daylight savings time on Sunday 25th at 1am, when clocks go back by an hour. So if you're planning on getting that early morning train to Dublin, don't forget to change that clock!
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=78

Krusty...(a mine of useless information).

If there was an early morning train!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Very close to admitting to being out. Knee has being very sore today and yesterday. Any buses yee run by on the route, smash the windows and slash the tyres in my honour please. Ta' :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

best of british guys.
    wont be there this year but i'll be back.

above all hope the weather is nice for runners and spectators alike. makes a huge difference to teh day.

does anyone know how you get back to the starting area if you have to pull out during the race due to bad injury? (not being negative, just worth knowing what if...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

use the €20 you tucked into your shorts "just in case" to get a taxi. It's very unlikely though. I can't remember the statistics, but almost everyone finishes.

conormark wrote: »
    does anyone know how you get back to the starting area if you have to pull out during the race due to bad injury? (not being negative, just worth knowing what if...)

According to the FAQ's on the DCM web site you can get transported by Ambulance if you can't make it back under your own steam, but they stress you should make your own way if you can, e.g. HM's use €20 tip above.

Hi,
    Anyone know if a map of the water & gel stations has been posted yet, I seem to remember one from somewhere last year?

Cheers,

• Advertisement

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Anyone know if a map of the water & gel stations has been posted yet, I seem to remember one from somewhere last year?

Cheers,

http://dublinmarathon.ie/general_course.php

Advertisement