Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

They have posted a map of the start/finish area:
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/startfinish-2009.pdf

Yay, another Spar lunch-box for my collection! Between myself and the Mrs, we must have about 7 of them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

tx, with all the excitement in the build up, I think my brain has stopped working !

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Anyone know what happens at the "SPAR Cheering zones" apart from cheering that is.

Anyone know what happens at the "SPAR Cheering zones" apart from cheering that is.
    They play popular Spar Ad jingles at full volume, and hand out inedible cheese sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

They have posted a map of the start/finish area:
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/startfinish-2009.pdf

Yay, another Spar lunch-box for my collection! Between myself and the Mrs, we must have about 7 of them at this stage.

No p155ing onto Fitzwilliam Square before the start gun, then :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Roadpounder

On my application form I entered that i would be in the 3.30-4.15 hr group. Training has gone well and I am hoping to get inside the 3.30 mark:cool:. Will it be possible for me to get into the sub 3.30 pen or will I be struck down by the nearest steward:D

On my application form I entered that i would be in the 3.30-4.15 hr group. Training has gone well and I am hoping to get inside the 3.30 mark:cool:. Will it be possible for me to get into the sub 3.30 pen or will I be struck down by the nearest steward:D
    The difference between being at the back of the sub 3:30 pen, and the front of the 3:30+ pen will be about 1 second. Just make sure you get to the front of the 3:30-4:15 pen! they were very vigilant last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Roadpounder

The difference between being at the back of the sub 3:30 pen, and the front of the 3:30+ pen will be about 1 second. Just make sure you get to the front of the 3:30-4:15 pen! they were very vigilant last year.

Will have my tent set up Sunday night:D

I know the organisers have removed the horrendous bottleneck that was Holles St, but does anyone else think that the first acute bend from Fitzwilliam Place onto Leeson St will pose a potential problem?
    I think that it will be reduced to walking pace if you go tight on that bend.
    Therefore - GO WIDE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

How long is a piece of string? :) What time do you need to be at the start to wangle a front of pen position - 8am? Do you end up standing around getting cold 'guarding' your position and is it worth it given the chip timing? Is there a certain amount of 'assertive' runners pushing their way to the front before the start? When do you stop warming up and stretching and take your position? From memory there's about 15min of standing to even have a mid-pack position? Does it takes a mile or so to space out after the start? I opted for the 4:15+ group but would like to give sub 4:00 a bit of a lash for the first 15odd miles and see if its do-able so I'd be keen to make the front of that pack but not at the expense of 45min extra standing there!

• Advertisement

RedB wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string? :) What time do you need to be at the start to wangle a front of pen position - 8am? Do you end up standing around getting cold 'guarding' your position and is it worth it given the chip timing? Is there a certain amount of 'assertive' runners pushing their way to the front before the start? When do you stop warming up and stretching and take your position? From memory there's about 15min of standing to even have a mid-pack position? Does it takes a mile or so to space out after the start? I opted for the 4:15+ group but would like to give sub 4:00 a bit of a lash for the first 15odd miles and see if its do-able so I'd be keen to make the front of that pack but not at the expense of 45min extra standing there!
    I'm not sure if your questions were rhetorical, but I reckon you're bang on - how long is a piece of string? Nobody can guess. However, the numbers are bigger than they have ever been before. I would suggest that if you want to get into your correct starting point in the pen, you should be lining up at 8:15 at the latest. If that's too long, then don't expect to find your ideal spot, because you can be sure someone else will have lined up there by 8:15am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

conormark wrote: »
    does anyone know how you get back to the starting area if you have to pull out during the race due to bad injury? (not being negative, just worth knowing what if...)
    If you make it to Foster's Ave (21 miles) I'll give you a crossbar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I would suggest that if you want to get into your correct starting point in the pen, you should be lining up at 8:15 at the latest. If that's too long, then don't expect to find your ideal spot, because you can be sure someone else will have lined up there by 8:15am.

:eek: Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

SUB 2'50"
    tunguska 2'34 balls on chopping block
    speedy44 2:49:59, if I get a good start

SUB 3'00"

Lex Luther 2:58.59
    Abhainn (2:59:59 will do for now)
    TFBubendorfer (2:59:59 will do nicely for me, too)
    aero2k (2:59:59 for me)
    LeCheile 3:0?:?? (big ask but will go out with group and hope )
    n-dawg 2:54:59 (Gonna be tough but I'll give it a go)

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL
    christeb (very optimistic this early on...) 3:10:59 (Peckham Pacer)
    MCOS 3'10'59" Feic it may as well go for it
    ergo 3:04:59 ....we'll see how it goes
    cdelboy 3:05:00...all going well on the day

SUB 3'15"
    Ciaran15 3'13'00''
    Killerz 3'14'59"
    earlyevening 3:14:59
    misty floyd 3:14:59 (Peckham Pacer)

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL
    AndrewDhuey (join me, anyone? I BQed last April for next year; this would be for 2011).

SUB 3'30"
    ULstudent 3:25 or there abouts
    Potsy11 3:26:00
    MrCreosote 3:29:59
    Bobby04 3:29:59

SUB 3'45"
    Roadpounder 3.35
    WhitestBoyAlive 3:35
    Woddle 3:36
    ManFromAtlantis 3:39
    kennyb3 3.40 will do nicely please
    Izoard 3:44
    nutzzz123 3:44:59
    Eliwallach (with the help of HM)
    Louthandproud (this is roughly where McMillian puts me)
    Dundalk
    Raging_Hull 3:44:59
    Figs - 3:44:59
    Kelter - If the knee holds out
    Master of Nothing (training going very well, think i can edge out MacMillan guesstimate time of 3:47)
    Aimman - 3:44 - - After Donegal full and Tarmonbarry half within 4 weeks before it, I better do good

SUB 4'00"
    RacoonQueen - as close as possible to 3:45 (Peckhams Pacers)
    nomadic (for now , maybe 3.45)
    jrar (out loud time) 3:54:59 - dreamland time - 3:44:59
    Sharktale 3:53:59
    henryporter 3:54:59 - here's hoping
    osnola ivax 3:59:59 (amadeus allstars)
    menoscemo 3:59:30
    hawkwing 3:59:59
    Oisin11178 3:59:59 (maybe lower)
    actwithoutwords officially 3:59:59, but would love to get close to 3:45
    macinalli 3.59 will do very nicely
    Scampwolf 3:55 On a Wing and a Pacer
    Nerraw1111 3.59:59 !
    Amadeus - Pacer - 3:59:xx
    Krusty_Clown - pacer - 3:59:59 - If you see me go past you, then you're not SUB 4'00" any more.

SUB 4'30"

Chez-moi hopefully sub 4:10
    Gerard65 4:20 (10min/ml)
    RedB 4:20
    Hardy Eustace 3:59:59 - changed to a more realistic 4:15 very, very, very, very good day with wind behind me, 4:30 will be very happy with
    Sub430 (what's in a name?) Also amadeus allstars
    Rainbow Kirby (amadeus allstars - 4:30 is my inner child goal, 4:45 is probably more realistic)
    Munster_Gal (Amadeus All Stars)
    Spaceylou 4:29:59 or below will make me happy - actually just finishing will make me happy but I need a target!
    IronTractorBoy 4:29:59
    How Strange 4:29:59 Revised time based on Sept being a terrible month for training
    Blueskye (maybe a bit ambitious)
    poppy08 (or nearest offer)
    Mr Marenghi close to 4.30 as possible !
    Sideswipe (my name got wiped)

SUB 5'00"
    Blueskye also just wants to finish, hopefully 4.40
    Racheljev - all on me ownio
    Bally8 (just want to finish but 4:59:59 would be nice)
    Oryx just wants to finish

Sosa wrote: »
    :eek: Really?
    Sub 3:30 will be a little quieter, but you gotta remember, it's one of Ireland's biggest races, with 12k participants, all with baggage, car-park spaces to find, dodgy bank holiday public transport, etc., so lots of early arrivals. Anyone who really wants to could squeeze their way to the front, but there really isn't that much point. In sub 3:30, the field opened out after the first mile (I started somewhere in the middle of the pen last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't expecting getting to the front of the 3.30-4.15 pen to be a problem. For the half, you could just slip in from the side wherever you wanted. Damn my honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Just a few lines to help the out-of-town runners who mightn't be familiar with the course and haven't had a chance to travel it yet.
    While it is a relatively flat course there are a few parts that may be worth knowing about so you don't get a surprise on the day and maybe could visualize in advance and be prepared for.:cool:

1) After you cross the Liffey at Chapelizod around 8.5miles there is a short sharp hill.
    2) The Crumlin road at mile 12 tends to be exposed to any wind thats about and can be a bit of a drag. Take shelter if you can.
    3) Milltown Road at mile 18 also has a small hill after the arched bridge that can start to hurt at that stage of the day. Pump the arms and grit the teeth!
    4) After mile 20 there is a hill that leads up to Foster Avenue that can feel like an alpine ascent if you're not feeling the best. However once you get to the top its a sweet trot down Fosters Avenue. At that stage you're turning (nearly) the last bend and heading for home!
    5) The finish line can be heard and partially seen from around mile 25.5 but ya gotta run around the block to get there! Wait till you see the whites of its eyes before you let rip! Raise your arms in triumph as you approach the finish line. You've earned it and the photographer will catch it!:)

Apologies if I've missed any other significant places as I'm working from memory. Please feel free to highlight any other locations where local knowledge could be of assistance. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

Looking at the map on the web site the finish is now straight ahead after nassua street instead of the 90 degree right turn in the final 50 meters. This is a change in the last few years that I have run this.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

RedB wrote: »
    4) After mile 20 there is a hill that leads up to Foster Avenue that can feel like an alpine ascent if you're not feeling the best.

RedB, nice post to help out people who don't know the route.

Just a small correction but important one as many runners tend to walk a bit there..The hill mentioned above starts at miles19 (river) to mile 20.5 (corner of roebuck and fosters avenue). It effectively comes at the worse time! The last 100/200meters are quite steep, so really keep your head down and pull on the arms.
    But as RedB said, it is a sweet home run from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Folks,
    Fingers crossed but at the moment the weather looks almost perfect for DCM. 4mph Southerly winds,about 10c and probably dry,still liable to change though,go to :
    http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=
    and click 132 for 1200 monday on the box and select chart type (precip,wind etc)from the dropdown. :)

• Advertisement

hawkwing wrote: »
    Folks,
    Fingers crossed but at the moment the weather looks almost perfect for DCM. 4mph Southerly winds,about 10c and probably dry,still liable to change though,go to :
    http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=
    and click 132 for 1200 monday on the box and select chart type (precip,wind etc)from the dropdown. :)

I applaud your optimism Hawkwing, but while watching the RTE weather last night John Eagleton had difficulty pinpointing what "might happen on Sunday" due to the influence of the Low Pressure. So, we really won't know until Sat or indeed Sunday because of the instability of that low pressure :cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

eliwallach wrote: »
    I applaud your optimism Hawkwing, but while watching the RTE weather last night John Eagleton had difficulty pinpointing what "might happen on Sunday" due to the influence of the Low Pressure. So, we really won't know until Sat or indeed Sunday because of the instability of that low pressure :cool:.

Who are we kidding? It's Dublin in Oct - we won't really know until 8:55 on Monday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

SUB 2'50"
    tunguska 2'34 balls on chopping block
    speedy44 2:49:59, if I get a good start

SUB 3'00"

Lex Luther 2:58.59
    Abhainn (2:59:59 will do for now)
    TFBubendorfer (2:59:59 will do nicely for me, too)
    aero2k (2:59:59 for me)
    LeCheile 3:0?:?? (big ask but will go out with group and hope )
    n-dawg 2:54:59 (Gonna be tough but I'll give it a go)

SUB 3'11" BOSTON QUAL
    christeb (very optimistic this early on...) 3:10:59 (Peckham Pacer)
    MCOS 3'10'59" Feic it may as well go for it
    ergo 3:04:59 ....we'll see how it goes
    cdelboy 3:05:00...all going well on the day

SUB 3'15"
    Ciaran15 3'13'00''
    Killerz 3'14'59"
    earlyevening 3:14:59
    misty floyd 3:14:59 (Peckham Pacer)

SUB 3'21" BOSTON QUAL
    AndrewDhuey (join me, anyone? I BQed last April for next year; this would be for 2011).

SUB 3'30"
    ULstudent 3:25 or there abouts
    Potsy11 3:26:00
    MrCreosote 3:29:59
    Bobby04 3:29:59

SUB 3'45"
    Roadpounder 3.35
    WhitestBoyAlive 3:35
    Woddle 3:36
    ManFromAtlantis 3:39
    kennyb3 3.40 will do nicely please
    Izoard 3:44
    nutzzz123 3:44:59
    Eliwallach (with the help of HM)
    Louthandproud (this is roughly where McMillian puts me)
    Dundalk
    Raging_Hull 3:44:59
    Figs - 3:44:59
    Kelter - If the knee holds out
    Master of Nothing (training going very well, think i can edge out MacMillan guesstimate time of 3:47)
    Aimman - 3:44 - - After Donegal full and Tarmonbarry half within 4 weeks before it, I better do good

SUB 4'00"
    RacoonQueen - as close as possible to 3:45 (Peckhams Pacers)
    nomadic (for now , maybe 3.45)
    jrar (out loud time) 3:54:59 - dreamland time - 3:44:59
    Sharktale 3:53:59
    henryporter 3:54:59 - here's hoping
    osnola ivax 3:59:59 (amadeus allstars)
    menoscemo 3:59:30
    hawkwing 3:59:59
    Oisin11178 3:59:59 (maybe lower)
    actwithoutwords officially 3:59:59, but would love to get close to 3:45
    Scampwolf 3:55 On a Wing and a Pacer
    Nerraw1111 3.59:59 !
    Amadeus - Pacer - 3:59:xx
    Krusty_Clown - pacer - 3:59:59 - If you see me go past you, then you're not SUB 4'00" any more.
    ronanmac - 3:5*:** - a big jump for me to come in sub 4, here's hoping I don't see Krusty disappearing into the distance somewhere around UCD!

SUB 4'30"

Chez-moi hopefully sub 4:10
    Gerard65 4:20 (10min/ml)
    RedB 4:20
    Hardy Eustace 3:59:59 - changed to a more realistic 4:15 very, very, very, very good day with wind behind me, 4:30 will be very happy with
    Sub430 (what's in a name?) Also amadeus allstars
    Rainbow Kirby (amadeus allstars - 4:30 is my inner child goal, 4:45 is probably more realistic)
    Munster_Gal (Amadeus All Stars)
    Spaceylou 4:29:59 or below will make me happy - actually just finishing will make me happy but I need a target!
    IronTractorBoy 4:29:59
    How Strange 4:29:59 Revised time based on Sept being a terrible month for training
    Blueskye (maybe a bit ambitious)
    poppy08 (or nearest offer)
    Mr Marenghi close to 4.30 as possible !
    Sideswipe (my name got wiped)

SUB 5'00"
    Blueskye also just wants to finish, hopefully 4.40
    Racheljev - all on me ownio
    Bally8 (just want to finish but 4:59:59 would be nice)
    Oryx just wants to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭demon83

Does anyone know if any of the big bookmakers will be taking bets on DCM 09
    I checked Paddypower and did a google search but cant see anything, anybody know if any bookies will take bets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

i bet i'm going to be very sore by the time i'm finished - what sort of odds can i get on that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

Just got an e-mail from Wagamamma, which might be of interest (and it's nice to see local businesses jumping on the bandwagon!):

race week offer
    with one week until the dublin marathon wagamama would like to advise our customers who are participating to slow down and carb up!
    produce a copy of your dublin marathon acceptance slip and get 20% off at wagamama dublin and cork valid until 26th oct 2009
    race day offer
    after you've crossed the finish line why not come into wagamama and receive a complimentary side dish or fresh juice with your meal when you show your participant medal.

I'm not affiliated with any oriental-style restaurant. i just like noodles. :)

Went for this offer last night... had some yummy noodles (I love carb loading) Manager was really nice, even wished me good luck in the race as I was leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Marcom

911sc wrote: »
    RedB, nice post to help out people who don't know the route.

Just a small correction but important one as many runners tend to walk a bit there..The hill mentioned above starts at miles19 (river) to mile 20.5 (corner of roebuck and fosters avenue). It effectively comes at the worse time! The last 100/200meters are quite steep, so really keep your head down and pull on the arms.
    But as RedB said, it is a sweet home run from there...

I've done this climb in nearly 90% of my training runs for this marathon, its my home town! It's not a straight hill by any means. You'll go up and down on clonskeagh road till you turn onto roebuck and then that undulates quite gently until the last 100m up to fosters ave, which is very steep and I imagine will be a bit nightmarish at mile 20 gulp, but its only a very short intense uphill.

Also, is there actually going to be free energy drinks?! I see on the map there are "energie sport" drink stops as well as "high 5" gel stops?! Free as well does anyone know.

MAN I am seriously anxious about getting this thing done, anyone got pre-race butterflies, cos mine are breeding now at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Marcom wrote: »
    Also, is there actually going to be free energy drinks?! I see on the map there are "energie sport" drink stops as well as "high 5" gel stops?! Free as well does anyone know.

Of course they are free for the runners! They don't expect you to have a bunch of fivers in your pocket to keep you going through 26 miles.

And yes, that hill is a different animal after 20 miles. I lost it there last year, and swore not to be back any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

No more talk about hills please I'm nervous enough! ;)

• Advertisement

after 20 miles.
    I lost it there last year, and swore not to be back any time soon.

Hence you will be lining up with the rest of us come 9:00am next Monday morning :rolleyes:;).
    Although, one year could well be considered "any time soon".
    Best of luck nexy Monday TFB ;).

Advertisement