Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Question:

Is there somewhere (a website) where someone can track those running the race. ie if they are armed with the runners number, they can input it and follow the progress of the runner at significant split times?
    I know that I was able to track TFB when he ran the Boston Marathon - but that was a service of the boston marathon website. Come to think of it, the surname of the participant was all that was required.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

eliwallach wrote: »
    Question:

Is there somewhere (a website) where someone can track those running the race. ie if they are armed with the runners number, they can input it and follow the progress of the runner at significant split times?
    I know that I was able to track TFB when he ran the Boston Marathon - but that was a service of the boston marathon website. Come to think of it, the surname of the participant was all that was required.

Probably here:
    http://www.tds-live.com/ns/index.jsp?pageType=1&id=2298
    But I gave that site to the family last year and it apparently didn't actually update at each split in the way it should have done until after I'd crossed the finish line when it did show the 10k, 1/2, 30k and finish times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

eliwallach wrote: »
    Hence you will be lining up with the rest of us come 9:00am next Monday morning :rolleyes:;).
    Although, one year could well be considered "any time soon".
    Best of luck next Monday TFB ;).

Yeah, well, one year is a long time. Though it DID take me up to July to decide to come back (in comparison, after swearing an oath never to do Connemara again somewhere between miles 30 and 34, I decided at mile 36 to come back and do it better next time).

Good luck to you, too, and everyone else of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Marcom wrote: »
    MAN I am seriously anxious about getting this thing done, anyone got pre-race butterflies, cos mine are breeding now at this stage!

Nope. I am totally chillaxo laid-back about it all.

WHAT AM I SAYING! I'M GETTING TOTALLY PUMPED! I WANT TO DO IT TOMORROW!!!

This poxy tapering is doing my head in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Nope. I am totally chillaxo laid-back about it all.

WHAT AM I SAYING! I'M GETTING TOTALLY PUMPED! I WANT TO DO IT TOMORROW!!!

This poxy tapering is doing my head in...

I'm a mixed bag of nerves / excitement / doubts, I just don't know what to expect on the day, thats whats doing my head in. Can't think about anything else, getting S.F.A done in work, just want to get running that first mile and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

robinph wrote: »
    Probably here:
    http://www.tds-live.com/ns/index.jsp?pageType=1&id=2298
    But I gave that site to the family last year and it apparently didn't actually update at each split in the way it should have done until after I'd crossed the finish line when it did show the 10k, 1/2, 30k and finish times.

Whats the story here Robinph ?
    On the day will there be somewhere where you could input name or bib number and get up to date splits ?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jenfer

All was going well for me up till last friday- ITB-have been resting, icing, stretching and putting anti-inflamatory cream on (dont know if it makes much odds but doing it anyway!) since Friday- was very upset at idea that I might not make it- but today things are looking much brighter :D.
    No running this week so far- better to be slightly undertrained than injured going out on Monday!

Really looking forward to it now. I agree the hill at mile 19-20 is mentally tough, but it does end and the fact its on the way back into town really keeps you going- am going to keep the scene as you come around the corner of Trinity in mind in my head at that stage- it great when u turn that corner and see all the supporters and you are nearly home!:D

Roll on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Oh yea, the butterflies are definitely gathering. To make matters worse, my wife & kids have gone to the states on Holidays, I'm not currently working, so I have all this time to kill, whilst trying not to run. Am severely tempted to have a couple of pints tonight and watch the Man U game, just to relax !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sosa wrote: »
    Whats the story here Robinph ?
    On the day will there be somewhere where you could input name or bib number and get up to date splits ?

In theory I think so, at least that is what they claimed last year.

I think that it should come up with a page similar to this from last year on Monday and then the split time should appear as you make your way round. They have changed the site a bit since then though, but it is still just as confusing with the language settings changing when your not looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

robinph wrote: »
    In theory I think so, at least that is what they claimed last year.

I think that it should come up with a page similar to this from last year on Monday and then the split time should appear as you make your way round. They have changed the site a bit since then though, but it is still just as confusing with the language settings changing when your not looking.

Cool,sounds good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

And yes, that hill is a different animal after 20 miles. I lost it there last year, and swore not to be back any time soon.

I'd lost it even before that in 2003 and swore never again!:D
    Hope the visualisation, carbo loading, tapering and pacing helps this time!

....deep breaths....be the road....:) Hope the therapy works too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ironman09

people you need to relax. GO for a beer thur night. a beer. Not several, relax. you can do no more at this stage.

All the weeks of toiling are over, weeks of long, hard runs, some runs in the rain. getting home to wash your gear, ready for your next run.

It comes down to a few hours on monday. Bank Hol Mon. On tue or wed when yu back to work, and people ask how was your weekend, do any thing???, your reply will be: great thanks, actually I ran the Marathon.

No one can ever take that from you.

So relax and enjoy it for what it is.

eonugh said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

I have friends in the city centre who can meet me somewhere along the route to give me drink, psychological boost etc - where's the best place for them ?

Somebody mentioned Milltown before ?

These guys dont have cars so they'd need to rely on the Luas or something

Somebody mentioned Milltown before ?

These guys dont have cars so they'd need to rely on the Luas or something

Yes, Luas stop Milltown is good. It's 100 meters walk to the marathon course from there, 17.5 miles into the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 6mbridgeman

Totally agree with Ironman - nows the time to relax enjoy the run up and the whole experience especially if its your first.

If you find this hard to do - go google Terry Fox or Dick & Rick Hoyt these guys will certainly inspire you and help you realise how lucky everyone is to take part on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Just as a matter of interest, what are most of you doing in the last few days in terms of tapering??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

good luck to everyone on monday, enjoy the pain :)

some good last minute tips here. http://vimeo.com/6238580

TJC wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, what are most of you doing in the last few days in terms of tapering??

Doing nothing at all is better than doing plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭demon83

Its my first time doing the marathon and I am just curious to know whats at the RDS expo, is it just a Lifestyle stand and number collection? Is there many other clothing and running accessories stands?

Why do they not post out numbers and chips like they did for the rest of the rcae series?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

demon83 wrote: »
    Its my first time doing the marathon and I am just curious to know whats at the RDS expo, is it just a Lifestyle stand and number collection? Is there many other clothing and running accessories stands?

Why do they not post out numbers and chips like they did for the rest of the rcae series?

Rubbish, don't waste much time there.
    Adidas gait analysis, stands all around for other cities marathons, can be good if you plan on researching a spring/summer marathon for 2010, other than that there is nothing to see.

The whole point of an Expo I'd have thought is to avoid people travelling long distance, i.e. from Europe/States and leaving stuff behind.
    Also to advertise local races that are coming up.

• Advertisement

Mostly you just pick up your number and get a bag with a number on to put your kit in at the start/ finish area. There are a bunch of stalls around from various shop, other marathons will have stands as well and there will probably be somebody giving a talk about something. It makes the "expo" from the Cork Marathon look pathetic, but at the same time it is nothing like what you'd find at any of the big city marathon expos.

Worth wasting a while wandering round anyway and it's not like you've got anything better to be doing the day before other than chilling out. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Best of luck to everyone, if anyone needs anything at the 9-10 mile mark let me know. Going to make sure i'm not in my running gear this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I hope to be around Ashtons or O'Sheas in Clonskeagh with the camera, just need to estimate when the leaders will be passing Milltown to be there in time.

Any word on the elite field ?
    Reckon the Russian lads will be back again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

Don't be tempted to buy something new for the big day. I got the Lifestyle Adidas jacket shorts and longsleeeve top half price in the run up to Christmas. There is only a certain market for this kit if it doesn't seel between now and the big day it's going on the sale rack:D

Taking a break from DCM this year, but will be out to cheer everyone on.

Best of luck , all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Excitement and nerves starting to hit! Fear of not hitting my target time is wrecking my head. Also fear of hitting the wall after mile 20,arrgghhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Best of luck to everyone, if anyone needs anything at the 9-10 mile mark let me know. Going to make sure i'm not in my running gear this year.

Cheers shels4ever - might need a lift back to town at that point:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

4.00 pace group or 3:45 pace group;4.00 pace group or 3:45 pace group or 4.00 pace group, 3:45 pace group or 4.00 pace group or 3:45 pace group;

It driving me mad. Based on half of 1:47 I'm thinking of 3:45. Maybe I'll just stick to the plan. Start easy take to 8:50 for a few miles and then 8:40.

As a wise man once said play it by ear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

chez-moi wrote: »
    4.00 pace group or 3:45 pace group;4.00 pace group or 3:45 pace group or 4.00 pace group, 3:45 pace group or 4.00 pace group or 3:45 pace group;

It driving me mad. Based on half of 1:47 I'm thinking of 3:45. Maybe I'll just stick to the plan. Start easy take to 8:50 for a few miles and then 8:40.

Speaking of wise men.
    A general rule of thumb for calculating your marathon time is to multiply your half' time by 2 and then add 20min.
    Therefore 1:47 x 2 = 214min + 20min = 234min
    which should bring you home in a time of 3:54.

I can therefore see your dilemma, but my advice would be to go out at your own pace, and if you can see the 3:45 pace group in front of you, great.
    If however, the 4:00 pace group pass you ..........

• Advertisement

chez-moi wrote: »

I agree with your last sentence. There are so many variables and unknowns that can occur on the day, so don't over-think or analyse it now, you'll only wreck your head.

Err on the side of caution in terms of your pacing is my advice.

Advertisement