Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Only advise i can give would be relax relax relax , if your a couple of seconds down on target pace over the first few miles thats no problem at all and better then been too fast. No need to zig zag too much over the opening mile to keep your pace jsut relax and the crowd will clear soon :).

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

eliwallach wrote: »
    Speaking of wise men.
    A general rule of thumb for calculating your marathon time is to multiply your half' time by 2 and then add 20min.
    Therefore 1:47 x 2 = 214min + 20min = 234min
    which should bring you home in a time of 3:54.

I can therefore see your dilemma, but my advice would be to go out at your own pace, and if you can see the 3:45 pace group in front of you, great.
    If however, the 4:00 pace group pass you ..........
    Would think, would hope at least that 20 mins is too much..More like 10 - 15 all going well..... Am I right here...I think I am.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

If I break the 4 min barrier I'll be happy (last year 4:02). Anything else will be a bonus:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

I'm in a bit of a muddle re pacing aswell. With a half time of 1.40.44 I "should" be well on for a 3.45.
    But my 2 longest runs have been 1 19 miler at 8.29min/mile and 1 21 miler at 8.46 min mile pace. I was in a fair bit of agony after both these. I don't think i've enough long LSR's done so think I'll run in no mans land between the two pacing groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

By the way, was there a decision ever taken on where or when to meet up for a pint after the marathon?! It's not that I need a focus to finish or anything ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Think all the pacers are meeting up in the conrad. I mean nothing says five star like a group of sweaty runners. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Just wanted to wish all the Boardsie runners the very best of luck for Monday, hope you enjoy the day and especially the feeling of achievement as you pass the finish line! As a noob, it has been very inspirational reading all the logs and seeing the level of commitment ye all have. All the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Just saw the weather forecast for Monday, looking good, calm, mild and dry - perfect:)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

The results of this year’s Lifestyle Sports - adidas Dublin Marathon will be published in full in The Star on Tuesday 27th October.

To celebrate 30 years of the Lifestyle Sports - adidas Dublin Marathon, The Star will carry a special 16 page full colour Marathon pullout next Tuesday.

This supplement will be full of pictures of this year’s runners and will feature the full results list with finishing times for every participant in this year’s marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Hi, i'm one of the many members of St.John Ambulance that will be out on Monday if you need us !

Hopefully I won't see too many of you guys ;) so best of luck on the day ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art of Noise

The very best of luck to everyone running this race. I hope to do it next year and will be looking forward to reading how ye all get on. Hope ye succeed in achieving your personal goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Hi, i'm one of the many members of St.John Ambulance that will be out on Monday if you need us !

Hopefully I won't see too many of you guys ;) so best of luck on the day ;)
    Fair dues to you. The real unsung heroes of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Hopefully I won't see too many of you guys so best of luck on the day

+1 on the fairs dues, but hopefully I won't be seeing you either:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What time does the expo open at tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

What time does the expo open at tomorrow?
    12noon to 6pm sat and sun. Dont forget to print out and sign your acceptance slip

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Aww crap I'm going to have to dig that out now they sent that acceptance slip ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Best of luck to all running on Monday.
    Keep the faith that you'll get there regardless of what you face on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Aww crap I'm going to have to dig that out now they sent that acceptance slip ages ago.
    If you can't find it, they can look you up and give you a new one at the expo.

Fair dues to you. The real unsung heroes of the day.

nah, no heroes in SJA. We just do what we're trained to do :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Best of luck everyone - have been lurking over the last week or so, will be out supporting on Monday too!

• Advertisement

+1 on the fairs dues, but hopefully I won't be seeing you either:D

Henry, lets keep that a mutual promise !:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

Must say a big thank you to all the experianced marathoners who take take timeout to answer all our questions over and over again. This thread is such a valuable part of DCM marathon preparation for beginers 2 timers like myself and so on.

So thanks a million :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

:eek::eek::eek:
    Someone here at work has just posed the question about bringing gels onto my flight Sunday morning.
    I presume it is OK to bring 5 gels in hand luggage if they are clearly presented in the transparent plastic bags???:confused:

Please say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

best of luck everyone taking part on monday , hope the day is a success for most :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Someone here at work has just posed the question about bringing gels onto my flight Sunday morning.
    I presume it is OK to bring 5 gels in hand luggage if they are clearly presented in the transparent plastic bags???:confused:

Please say yes.
    think if they are less than 100mls each they should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Please say yes.

yes

Looks like you're not the only one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62667821&postcount=348

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 EvilHomer73

Best of luck to everyone running. Hope the weather forecast is accurate. all the hard work id done now relax and 'enjoy' the day.

Following everyone progress the last few months has made me determined to join in the insanity next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Please say yes.

It is indeed. I did the very same thing yesterday. The security man looked at me like I was mad but no bother otherwise.

Aha! I see Sub430 had already beaten me to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭chatoon

Very best of luck to everyone running in the race on Monday - from those who are running super fast times to those who just want to finish...I really hope you each realise your dreams....you've all done so well to get to the start line, so congrats already!...you've done the training so don't worry on the day, you'll be fine,...just try and enjoy it, and remember the old adage: 'there are (were!) many, many, many days that you thought you'd never run a marathon, but after Monday, you can spend the rest of your life saying that you did...!!!'

Very best of luck to you all....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I think the SIS gels are over 100ml. But not to worry, you should be able to buy more at the expo, if they get confiscated from you, for having sharp edges.

Advertisement