Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I did it - I didn't find it *so* crowded that it affected my time (I set a new PB by 8 minutes, though my previous 10k best was 66 minutes so nothing to set the world on fire), though I did almost trip over walkers quite a few times in about the first 2km.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

I've signed up for the Half Iron-man in 23rd August in Wexford but after doing the half in Connamara, I would i get in the DCM. Question is would i have enough training done with the half IM and the proceeding weeks to do OK in the DMC.
    I reckon i might need a week or so off training before i could start into the DMC training...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Im undecided at the moment whether i'll do DCM this year. It might be a race too many this year. If i do go for it i'd be aiming for a sub 3:15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭plodder

I'm aiming to do it also, and want to shave 25 minutes off last year, to beat 3:30. Hopefully, Messrs. Pfitzinger & Douglas will show me how to do it, as I have just ordered their book ...

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I'm still debating whether or not to do it. It'd be a fairly outrageous goal and i'd probably walk it...... it's just the thoughts of walking for 5+hours that's putting me off a bit. :(
    But the shiny medal at the end is tempting :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I'm still debating whether or not to do it. It'd be a fairly outrageous goal and i'd probably walk it...... it's just the thoughts of walking for 5+hours that's putting me off a bit. :(
    But the shiny medal at the end is tempting :D

MG,
    it's very doable. It depends what your goal is - is it to achieve a really fast time or to finish a marathon?

I'm from a non-running background. 2006, about this time I entered the mini-marathon (yes, that much maligned race :D ) and decided that I wanted to jog/run (another controversial phrase). I procrastinated like mad and then finally started the training program, about this time. My first week was walk 10 mins-run 5 mins - walk 5 mins - run 5 mins - walk 5 mins. I did it three times a week.

I ran the mini-marathon and (well ran, swerved and swore at gangs of people linked ten across carrying bags of monster munch and chocolate ;) - well that's true!) finished in under the hour.

I discovered that I loved running and loved exercise. I'm quite goal oriented and knew I needed another goal to keep me running. I'd always dreamed of doing a marathon but didn't think it was for the likes of me - more for demi-gods of fitness who never drank or smoked or played loud music and ran 20 miles a day and alway dressed in lycra. (Did I mention I was still a dedicated smoker at this point?)

A month later, I came locked one night and signed up for Dublin. I received great encouragement from a friend of mine and one of the best things I did was buy this book The non-runners marathon trainer. I read the whole book and literally didn't miss a training run.

I found it tough but nothing was going to stop me. Another good thing I did was invest time and money in getting a decent pair of running shoes that suited me.

So six months after starting, and literally just starting, I crossed the line in 4 and a half hour crying tears of joy. It really was a dream come true. I received tremendous support from some of the forum members here, particularly Amadeus and HM. They were brilliant.

I ran every step of the way (albeit slowly! :D ). If you really want to do then you can.

Remember what Henry Ford said, "whether you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

MG,
    it's very doable. It depends what your goal is - is it to achieve a really fast time or to finish a marathon?

I'm from a non-running background. 2006, about this time I entered the mini-marathon (yes, that much maligned race :D ) and decided that I wanted to jog/run (another controversial phrase). I procrastinated like mad and then finally started the training program, about this time. My first week was walk 10 mins-run 5 mins - walk 5 mins - run 5 mins - walk 5 mins. I did it three times a week.

I ran the mini-marathon and (well ran, swerved and swore at gangs of people linked ten across carrying bags of monster munch and chocolate ;) - well that's true!) finished in under the hour.

I discovered that I loved running and loved exercise. I'm quite goal oriented and knew I needed another goal to keep me running. I'd always dreamed of doing a marathon but didn't think it was for the likes of me - more for demi-gods of fitness who never drank or smoked or played loud music and ran 20 miles a day and alway dressed in lycra. (Did I mention I was still a dedicated smoker at this point?)

A month later, I came locked one night and signed up for Dublin. I received great encouragement from a friend of mine and one of the best things I did was buy this book The non-runners marathon trainer. I read the whole book and literally didn't miss a training run.

I found it tough but nothing was going to stop me. Another good thing I did was invest time and money in getting a decent pair of running shoes that suited me.

So six months after starting, and literally just starting, I crossed the line in 4 and a half hour crying tears of joy. It really was a dream come true. I received tremendous support from some of the forum members here, particularly Amadeus and HM. They were brilliant.

I ran every step of the way (albeit slowly! :D ). If you really want to do then you can.

Remember what Henry Ford said, "whether you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right"!

Wow HardyEustace thats one hell of an inspirational post! Fair play to ya!
    I've either taken the very foolish or very inspired step of signing up for the Race Series and also the Dublin Marathon. I'm pretty slow but determined and fingers crossed I'll get there. Your post made me believe that perhaps I can. Cheers :-)

MG,

Thanks HardyEustace. Enjoyed reading that :) Might have a look for that book ur talking about as well. I've been planning on getting the runners for a while now but wanted to wait until I actually start running. I have a good pair of walking shoes at the moment and they're doing grand but will defo invest in the runners soon.
    You're right about the encouragement that people give here as well.

p.s. are they limiting the number of entrants this year?

MG,

Bloody great post :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm undecided as of yet. I'd really like to do the Dingle marathon but would like to use Dublin each year as a way to mark my progress as it was my first marathon. Sure we shall see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

wow,,i loved that post,,hardyeustace,,,and your right,,to me it's all about just doing it,,i seem to be doin mine backwords lol stared off with a half marathon then 10 k,,so fingers crossed for the big D one,,oh and munster gal,,i have that book if you want a read of it,,:D

tantipie wrote: »
    wow,,i loved that post,,hardyeustace,,,and your right,,to me it's all about just doing it,,i seem to be doin mine backwords lol stared off with a half marathon then 10 k,,so fingers crossed for the big D one,,oh and munster gal,,i have that book if you want a read of it,,:D

I'll totally take you up on that misses :D

I did all the exercises and wrote in all the logs on the book.

It definitely helped.

I was TERRIFIED on race day but I kept reminding myself that I'd done all my training runs and it really helped to calm me down and gave me great confidence.

You'll do great marathons. Just believe in yourself and don't cheat on the training. From my experience, people don't care about your levels of expertise or speed. What they really care about is your commitment. Once you've shown that you're committed and very genuine about your race, and also that you pay attention to people's advice, people are extremely generous and very kind with their help and their encouragement.

Enjoy every step!

i've just realised your a girl,,hardyeustace,,lol,,not that it makes any difference,,:p

tantipie wrote: »
    i've just realised your a girl,,hardyeustace,,lol,,not that it makes any difference,,:p

What was it that gave it away?

(probably the entry to the mini-marathon I'm guessing!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

p.s. are they limiting the number of entrants this year?

no limit as far as i know. and this being the 30th should be popular.

and also that you pay attention to people's advice,

This has just reminded me that some people give you the worst advice once they hear you're training for a big race like a marathon etc. I find it incredibly annoying when some randomer who 'used to run every now and again' thinks that you're doing things wrong and starts dishing out useless advice. :rolleyes:

*usually over weight taxi/bus drivers :pac:

no limit as far as i know. and this being the 30th should be popular.
    Yeah that's why I was thinking they might limit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

There's no limit on the number of entries - the more the merrier. However, there is a strict closing date.
    There will be a change to the start area so that there hopefully won't be any congestion at the first turn. Also, a slight change to the finish area. The remainder of the course will be the same as last year.

There's no limit on the number of entries - the more the merrier. However, there is a strict closing date.
    There will be a change to the start area so that there hopefully won't be any congestion at the first turn. Also, a slight change to the finish area. The remainder of the course will be the same as last year.

Where are they planning on changing the start and finish areas to?

• Advertisement

Good. I do like my shins. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Where are they planning on changing the start and finish areas to?

The start will still be on Fitzwilliam Street but will run in the opposite direction towards Leeson Street.
    The finish will still be on Merrion Square, running straight from Clare Street instead of turning right onto the Government Buildings side.

So long as it's still within walking distance of the hotel I just booked I'm ok with that. Not taking any chances on having to travel half way across the city after crossing the finish line :D

You've defo given me the push I needed HardyEustace!!! Found a 21 week training plan on the DCM website

http://dublinmarathon.ie/dublinmarathontraining.pdf

I have the mini marathon first and then I'll follow into the training plan to run the marathon ( or at least jog it at a really slow pace!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 josiegrosie

Thinking of doing DCM too, as my first marathon.
    Lots of reasons for doing it, but primarily because I am struggling with depression and feel an acheivement of some sort will really help my self esteem...running is something I have always been interested in and in fact prior to gaining 5 stones, I was quite good (although never did the DCM, always the Race Series though).
    Anyway, I started the Hal Higdon beginners programme last night - supposed to run 1,5 miles and managed just under a mile. Will try again tonight.
    I was supposed to do the Great Ireland in the park last weekend but didn't feel confident enough, so I know my biggest challenge is not going to be the fitness, or the masses of chub I am hauling around - but the confidence and self-belief!
    So here I am - I am josiegrosie, I live in Dundrum and I am a runner! (sorta) ;)

well done josiegrosie!!! i also suffered from depression,,and have started exercising since Christmas,,believe me it has done so much for my confidence,,the lads here are fantastic,,you'll get geat encouragement,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

if there is anyone around the balbriggan area (even skerries/rush etc) that is thinking of doing this and need encouragement i will happily meet you and go running whenever possible. dont hesitate to contact me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

welcome aboard josiegrosie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭plodder

Good to see some newbies deciding to step up to the challenge. You'll get lots of good advice around here, and if you are interested, you could do worse than reading some of the reports from people here after last year's marathon. Don't be put off by the people who ran really fast times.

There are a few really inspirational stories in there from people who did it for the first time.

Here is the thread, around Page 96, where the reports start coming in

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

plodder wrote: »
    And if you view at 40 posts to a page, you'll want to go to this. (Page 36)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Thinking of doing DCM too, as my first marathon.
    Lots of reasons for doing it, but primarily because I am struggling with depression and feel an acheivement of some sort will really help my self esteem...running is something I have always been interested in and in fact prior to gaining 5 stones, I was quite good (although never did the DCM, always the Race Series though).
    Anyway, I started the Hal Higdon beginners programme last night - supposed to run 1,5 miles and managed just under a mile. Will try again tonight.
    I was supposed to do the Great Ireland in the park last weekend but didn't feel confident enough, so I know my biggest challenge is not going to be the fitness, or the masses of chub I am hauling around - but the confidence and self-belief!
    So here I am - I am josiegrosie, I live in Dundrum and I am a runner! (sorta) ;)

good stuff , the hardest part of any training/marathon plan is the first step
    well done, keep it up.
    looking forward to hearing how you get on

Advertisement