Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best wishes to all taking to the streets on Monday. Good luck in particular to the BAC pacers. I'll be wearing my Boards vest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

eliwallach wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Someone here at work has just posed the question about bringing gels onto my flight Sunday morning.
    I presume it is OK to bring 5 gels in hand luggage if they are clearly presented in the transparent plastic bags???:confused:

Please say yes.

I've had a few High5 gels in the hand luggage several times before and they were never even noticed by the bloke on the scanner.

I ignore all the rubbish about putting stuff in a separate bag for them, although I generally never have any individual item over their daft 100ml limit. If they spot stuff on the scanner then I'm quite happy to stand their and let them search through the bag, usually doesn't happen though. I have then had long arguments with them about toothpaste needing to be in a ziplock bag airside or not after they then said they didn't need to actually scan it again, but that's a rant for another day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Squors

Hi folks,

Looking for my acceptance slip in my email in box. Does anyone know what email address it might have come from?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

bhaa [at] eircom [dot] net

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Squors

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I didnt get an e-mail but i got a letter with acceptance slip on it. Is taht what i bring to the expo anyone?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    I didnt get an e-mail but i got a letter with acceptance slip on it. Is taht what i bring to the expo anyone?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Best of Luck to everyone on Monday.

I am not running this year but will definitely be out cheering you all on and feeling your pain.

Rest as much as possible starting now. Keep hydrated and don't go too mad on the carbo loading. Start off easy and just take it a mile at a time.

Lastly enjoy it - really enjoy it - the banter at the start, the other runners you chat to and the support you get along the way. Believe or not but you have already done all the hard work in those LSR's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Nerves \ excitement starting to kick in now. My longest session ws about 16 miles but felt I could have done more at the time plus I completed the race series in the park. Hope to enjoy it.

See you all there!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Squors wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Looking for my acceptance slip in my email in box. Does anyone know what email address it might have come from?

Thanks.

from Dublin Marathon <events@regonline.com>
    reply-to bhaa@eircom.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Finally woke up this morning with my left knee feeling like it belongs to me again - after 9 days of getting the cold shoulder from it; I don't know where I went wrong; must have been those LSR's and rainy Sunday mornings over the past 18 weeks that offended it!

Now I can look forward to the countdown.

Best of luck to everyone, from packing, to travelling, to getting settled in to hotels or wherever you'll be spending the night before, to getting to and from the expo with the right bits of paper, to getting all the carbs and water that you'll need, to getting some sleep the night before, to getting up on time and getting to the start line without any nausea or niggles, to enjoying every minute of the 3 or 4 or 5 hours that you're planning on doing this odyssey of Dublin in, to seeing that finish line and knowing at that moment in time that nobody else can give you or take away that feeling ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Just bought my 'disposable' clothes for the start. Not sure what the weather is like in Dublin right now, but here in Galway it is wet & wild, and I'm sure glad it WON'T be like this on Monday !

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Yes, the weather in Galway is brutal! Lets hope Dublin will be a lot better. Cant imagine running a marathon in this wind and rain. Fingers crossed! Good luck to all on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's a beautiful autumn day in Dublin, with the odd shower. If we got this on Monday, I'd be delighted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Looks a bit windy out there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Down in the west, it's a gale force 8, hitting 10, with the occasional lashing of rain! Monday better be better!!!

Anyone know where I can get info on buses to the expo from the City. Also, wht part of the RDS is it in, if I remember correctly, its a big place. Want to try and avoid walking around in circles if possible.

Tx,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I was out and back today. Got the 7a, you can also get the 7, the 45, and the 4 and 4a. Its on in the main hall which is the closest part of the RDS to town. Good atmosphere out there, the impossible is nothing wall being the highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭trevo

ITS ONE LESS THING TO DO IN LIFE!!!!

GUD LUCK ON MONDAY AND ENJOY EVERY BODY.......

Been and back. Some strange stands at the expo today, laservision?:confused:

Went into penneys and got my customary 2 pairs of gloves for 1.50 for the start line :D and girlies penneys are selling a fleecy jumper for a fiver, absolutely perfect for the start line.

• Advertisement

Went to the expo this afternoon too, was rather interested to see that Up and Running were selling the Kayano 16! Almost bought some really nice Craft shorts from Runways, but they didn't have a size 12 in them... *sadface*

Nerves really starting to build now.

Anyone giving out free pacing bands at the expo?
    Big queues?

Didn't notice any, but that's not to say that there wasn't. I'll probably print a couple off from somewhere tomorrow (one for 4:30 and one for 4:45).

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Registered earlier, free newspaper and all. :)

The six quid to park the car for 20 mins did irritate tho.

Big queues?
    what are pacing bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Is the Expo worth going to?? Did anyone spot any bargains?

I am interested in a new pair of runners. Tks Geld

Big queues?

Didn't notice any.
    geld wrote: »
    Is the Expo worth going to?? Did anyone spot any bargains?

I am interested in a new pair of runners. Tks Geld

Not really, was a bit jammers when I was there and didn't really feel like elbowing people out of the way to get to things. Nothing cheaper than what you can get online tbh which is where I buy 98% of my gear.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    what are pacing bands?
    It's an indicator of what time you should be at every mile. It removes the ambiguity of racing lines. If you want one, visit here, enter your target, print out the paceband, cover it in sellotape (to waterproof it) and sellotape it round your wrist. Then at every mile marker, check against your stop-watch to make sure your on schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

It's an indicator of what time you should be at every mile. It removes the ambiguity of racing lines. If you want one, visit here, enter your target, print out the paceband, cover it in sellotape (to waterproof it) and sellotape it round your wrist. Then at every mile marker, check against your stop-watch to make sure your on schedule.

My saviour in berlin. Knew at every km where i was in comparison to my goal time. Great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck to everybody and thanks a million for all yer support. I know for a fact I would not be heading to Dublin tomorrow morning for this marathon if it wasnt for the help and advice from everyone on here. Hope to meet as many boardsies as possible on Monday.

Advertisement