Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Finished in 4:28:10 gun time, absolutely delighted, and shocked at going sub-4:30. Had an awesome day, and will definitely be back next year biggrin.gif
    RK, that's brilliant, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭aero2k

hallelujah wrote: »
    Me. The chip time is the same as the clock time. It took me a while top get up to the start line. Shame as it seems the official results will be taken from that tds-live site. I lost out on a minute! :)
    Me too. My Garmin time, start mat to finish mat, was 21 secs quicker than the tds site. Think it agrees with the ckock time alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Got a text from Bally8, she finished in 4:55:52. Woohoo, sub5!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Raging_Hull

aero2k wrote: »
    Me too. My Garmin time, start mat to finish mat, was 21 secs quicker than the tds site. Think it agrees with the ckock time alright.

OK, The DCM website now has the Chip Times. However my finish time is quicker than my Chip time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done everybody,

Crackin' results all round. Great results from my club too inc a sub 3 debut. Mighty stuff. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

racheljev wrote: »
    RK, that's brilliant, well done!

Great result for a first time out. Very well done. Celebrate and rest in that order. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Came in at 4:13 way off my overly ambitious 3:45, completely blew up in the 2nd half from about mile 16, was on target up to then but obviously a wrong target, the last 10 miles were seriously painful. However I am still completely delighted to have finished, will be back next year!

Well done to all that participated, some great results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

OK, The DCM website now has the Chip Times. However my finish time is quicker than my Chip time!

Same as. They're the wrong way round. I got my minute back! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

DCM results seem to have chip results and gun results crossed over :rolleyes:

Funnily enough, or not funnily enough.. saw 2 people in the race, that I know, that aren't listed in the results. That would suggest that that ran without a chip or ran with someone elses reg!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

yes, 4h55 offical time
    my first ever marathon, i know that time is crap compared to others but yes yes yes im over the moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

ultraman1 wrote: »
    had a malowgen day,was ok up to 12miles when me legs said no more,couldnt get goin again so put d brakes on and concentrated on finisin in 1 piece. 4ahem38ahem11ahem:o....and well done to ye all

Had the exact same problems, at the 11/12 mile marker my ankle, hip and knee started acting up. really pissed with my Garmin time of 4ahem36ahem, don't even want to check the website. Last year I was sub 4hrs and today up untill the 12mile mark I was set for the same and maybe a bit better. I slowed down completely for the second half as I am off to Rome with the kids/wife for mid term break and didn't want to be in bits, even stopped and talked to a few friends and familly along the route. This marathon will hopfully be forgotten and I can start working towards the Conn Ultra.

Must say the support around the course was good and the jellys were a welcome treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Well done RK you must be delighted!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So after all the drama of the last two weeks and all my talk of just taking it easy out there today I thought, **** it I'll give the 3:45 a bash, all was going well until inchicore when we hit that hill and my knee decided to voice it's unhappiness at what I was putting it through and bam the marathon, as a race was over for me. Was averaging about 2 mins/mile slower from there but it was hard to hide my disappointment. So after 15 miles of jogging, walking some limping and hopping I finished in 4:12, still 12 mins off last year but a horrid reminder of what could have been. Some amazing results posted here, well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

3.55, 33 minutes better than my previous PB and finally home under four. Delighted, though I have to apologise to all the spectators who had to witness me puking my way up Nassau Street! A perfect day, organisation-wise, weather-wise and personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Finiished in 3'22'08, delighted, a PB by 10 mins on last year. Started to die round 19 miles but came through strongly the last 3 miles. Will be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ciaran15

PB today of 3H09...could have been better but stomach cramps at mile 18 hit me causing me to walk :( but still knocked 5 mins off my best time...sub 3 is inching closer!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

Absolutely thrilled, 3.26.45. Target was sub 3.30 and was trying to get over the line at exactly that but the supporters wouldn't let me stop and walk when I knew I was a few mins ahead late on. Incredible support and thanks to everyone ho came out. Even managed to play some guys drums a wee bit on the way round, great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Peckham

Well done all. Some great times here, and what's even better is that everyone who missed their targets is taking a lesson from it and feels encouraged to come back next year for another shot.

I was away all last week, and only got back very late last night. Unfortunately, I couldn't get in to city centre to shout you all on, but was sending positive vibes to everyone which I hope you picked up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

gerard65 wrote: »
    What happened to the 3:45 pacers. Firstly they seemed to be running much faster than 8:34min/ml, then they seemed to disappear.
    They seemed to separate on laurences hill. Didn't see the female pacer after that. The male pacer took his baloon of at some stage around 15 miles I think. I did half 1.51.49 clock time so he was up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Wow...fantastic support out there today!

Made a late decision to don the bat suit, so the 3 45 was always under pressure from there.

Still, delighted to finish in 3 57, and I think I was the first "costume" home...!

• Advertisement

gerard65 wrote: »
    What happened to the 3:45 pacers. Firstly they seemed to be running much faster than 8:34min/ml, then they seemed to disappear.

HM stopped to be a hero at half way and detached her balloon other guy kept going. Lost you at the end btw when I plodded off to check the results of other boardsies :D

disappointing turnout at the conrad folks I expect better next year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

I echo all the comments about the support. It was my fourth DCM. I think the crowd was bigger than usual. It a fantastic experience when you're totally fooked to run through the funnel on the corner of Fenian St and Westland Row. Its a wall of noise (to use a cliche).

PS I thought the Conrad thing was for the pacers...otherwise I would have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

got home in 4.58.53 - quads blew up at mile 14, so a combination of stretching, walking and jogging got me past the finish line. Have to work on stregthening up those quads for next year. great day out though, weather, organisation, supporting crowds; a great experience notwithstanding the issues mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Izoard wrote: »
    Wow...fantastic support out there today!

Made a late decision to don the bat suit, so the 3 45 was always under pressure from there.

Still, delighted to finish in 3 57, and I think I was the first "costume" home...!
    Was that you - fair play, looked pretty hot near the end.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dominic67/4047121740/sizes/o/in/set-72157622542246471/
    4047121740_13f6f54da7_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

disappointing turnout at the conrad folks I expect better next year:)

I was there, must have saw you but didn't clock it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Was that you - fair play, looked pretty hot near the end.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dominic67/4047121740/sizes/o/in/set-72157622542246471/
    4047121740_13f6f54da7_o.jpg

Cheers!
    Yep, that's me alright...was baking from miles 5-13...as I slowed down, I got a little cooler:-)
    My quads were giving real problems from 22-25, but I felt a bit better at the end.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I was there, must have saw you but didn't clock it :mad:

I'm very little that's probably why you missed me:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

HM stopped to be a hero at half way and detached her balloon other guy kept going. Lost you at the end btw when I plodded off to check the results of other boardsies :D
    I was sitting right on front of you when you were putting your jacket on. I tried to say goodbye when you turned to leave but no sound came out of my mouth - I could'nt speak for a few minutes, hope I was'nt having a mini stroke! Still, better than a major one.
    I hope mistyfloyd was OK. He was'nt looking too well and I lost him when I went to get my bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

It certainly was a great day

I never imagined over the past 3 or 4 days that the heat from the sun might be a factor but it did feel warm there between 12 and 16 miles, think it clouded over a bit after that

thought it was beautiful up in the Park - hard to beat on a still autumn day, especially the second half of the park section - I'm sure our overseas visitors must've been impressed

as for my own race, well I was pretty happy with it - had done a lot of training over the summer but wasn't sure how much running Berlin 5 weeks ago would affect me - managed sub 3 pace until about 18 or 19 miles but then faded a little - but, unlike Berlin where I had to stop once for a few seconds with a stitch, I managed to run all the way

in the end was delighted with a PB of 3:01:54 (or 3:01:49 which is my "finish time" according to official DCM results) - knocked just over a minute off my Berlin time and gives me lots of hope for the future - have learnt a lot from doing these 2 marathons and will definitely be back for another crack at it

and as many posters have said - having boards is just a great source of support and inspiration (and information!) during the long months training - so thanks boards and everyone who posts here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Have to echo some of the sentiments passed here re the 3:45 pacers.
    They knocked out the first mile in 7:40 and the second in less than 8:00, I do realise that they were probably trying to rectify the gun time chip time disparity but after 2 miles those following the 3:45 pacers had alredy run over 1 min quicker that their marathon pace :(.
    HM tended to a casualty and the second pacer cut loose his balloon at mile 15, i didn't see him after that. Other pacers finished with their balloons.

Anywho.
    Was flying for the fist half 1:51. The run through the park was idyllic.
    At mile 16 the warning signs began. The legs starting cramping (front right calf and back left calf), then the thighs starting cramping. Come mile 19 the head went (just like last year at mile 21 :(). Things then started to get even worse (someone else here has used the word Malowgen - I'd like to borrow it) and I felt malowgen. My short term plan at that stage was to make it (hopefully) to the next water station and to take the couple of Neurofen I had taken with me. Then there war a mountain in front of me. One of those brutal (but short) hills. I wobbled off the road and started walking deleriously. It was only a matter of time before I collapded onto the ground but I just wanted to make it to the next water station. I was so disappointed and the thoughts of having to go home and tell the OH that I was a DNF filled me with grief :(:(:(. I hobbled on aimlessly and finally reached the water station on Fosters Ave, took some water on board and poured some over my head. Took my Neurofen too. kept walking but wanted so much to pull out. After turning for home and approaching I broke into a very slow run and while the pain was still excruciating I could maintain the run. AT mile 22 I looked at my watch and (with all notions of 3:45 well & truly blown out of the water) it read 3:20. OK. Plan B. surely I could knock out 4 x 10 min miles to make it home in 4hr. Surely? On I sorely went. I'm pretty certain that everyone else was feeling it then too but they seemed to be running alot easier that me (and with more grace!). Short story long Imanaged the 10 min miles and some for the last mile and made it home in (chip time) 4:00.12.
    Disappointed that the 3:45 dream went up in smoke but am Soooooo happy that I managed to find some reserves from somewhere to kick a plan B into place and to (at least) meet that goal. ANd a PB by more that 26min. So I must take the positives from this.
    Oh and, Never Again. Probably.

Advertisement