Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

gerard65 wrote: »
    I hope mistyfloyd was OK. He was'nt looking too well and I lost him when I went to get my bag.

Hey was cool meeting you and RC at the end. Introduced myself to Christeb at around mile 16 too.

I went to put some warm clothes on. Never ever felt so rough. I was on the 601 news there in a heap sitting on the ground after the finish. It might be on again at 9.

Race report tomorrow. I really can't think right now. Well well well well well done everyone. You should all be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Pretty much perfect race for me. Was confident of a sub 2:55 came in at 2:47:D. PB by 14mins.
    Perfect conditions, excellent crowd brilliant day!
    Ya fairly happy man to say the least. Had a few Guinnos, now a few wheat beer if I can manage them:). Race report to follow
    Well done all

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Bobby04

Not a good day! Had really hoped for sub 3:30, and should have had it in me. Kept very close to the 3:30 pacers until about 16 miles when my calf muscles just tightened up, and then my kness did the same, and soon after that my hips felt like they were wrapped in sandpaper. This never happened on my LSRs, even the ones with lots of PMP miles. Damn!!
    Anyway, walked/ran the last 6 or so miles in alot of pain, and finished in 3:40. You couldn't pay me to contemplate another marathon at this time.
    Anyway, my woes aside, the crowd was brilliant, and thank you so much to all the people who clapped, cheered, shouted encouragement etc. it really helps. And all those sweets.. incredibly generous.
    And to all the boardsies here, thanks for all the advice & encouragement.
    Well done to all who finished, and big congrats on some fantastic times.
    I'm off to get more ice now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

I went to put some warm clothes on. Never ever felt so rough. I was on the 601 news there in a heap sitting on the ground after the finish. It might be on again at 9.

You were looking a bit shaky. Glad your OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭CaoimheX

eliwallach wrote: »
    Have to echo some of the sentiments passed here re the 3:45 pacers.
    They knocked out the first mile in 7:40 and the second in less than 8:00, I do realise that they were probably trying to rectify the gun time chip time disparity but after 2 miles those following the 3:45 pacers had alredy run over 1 min quicker that their marathon pace :(.
    HM tended to a casualty and the second pacer cut loose his balloon at mile 15, i didn't see him after that. Other pacers finished with their balloons.

Anywho.
    Was flying for the fist half 1:51. The run through the park was idyllic.
    At mile 16 the warning signs began. The legs starting cramping (front right calf and back left calf), then the thighs starting cramping. Come mile 19 the head went (just like last year at mile 21 :(). Things then started to get even worse (someone else here has used the word Malowgen - I'd like to borrow it) and I felt malowgen. My short term plan at that stage was to make it (hopefully) to the next water station and to take the couple of Neurofen I had taken with me. Then there war a mountain in front of me. One of those brutal (but short) hills. I wobbled off the road and started walking deleriously. It was only a matter of time before I collapded onto the ground but I just wanted to make it to the next water station. I was so disappointed and the thoughts of having to go home and tell the OH that I was a DNF filled me with grief :(:(:(. I hobbled on aimlessly and finally reached the water station on Fosters Ave, took some water on board and poured some over my head. Took my Neurofen too. kept walking but wanted so much to pull out. After turning for home and approaching I broke into a very slow run and while the pain was still excruciating I could maintain the run. AT mile 22 I looked at my watch and (with all notions of 3:45 well & truly blown out of the water) it read 3:20. OK. Plan B. surely I could knock out 4 x 10 min miles to make it home in 4hr. Surely? On I sorely went. I'm pretty certain that everyone else was feeling it then too but they seemed to be running alot easier that me (and with more grace!). Short story long Imanaged the 10 min miles and some for the last mile and made it home in (chip time) 4:00.12.
    Disappointed that the 3:45 dream went up in smoke but am Soooooo happy that I managed to find some reserves from somewhere to kick a plan B into place and to (at least) meet that goal. ANd a PB by more that 26min. So I must take the positives from this.
    Oh and, Never Again. Probably.

Very well done for finishing. A friend of mine fell in with the 3:45 group and said they made a mess of it, luckily it didn't mess up his race. He noticed that the female pacer seemed to be suffering with the pace as if it may have been too fast.
    I wonder why a pacer dropped out to help a casulaty, surely St.Johns Ambulance etc. are there for that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

Izoard wrote: »
    Wow...fantastic support out there today!

Made a late decision to don the bat suit, so the 3 45 was always under pressure from there.

Still, delighted to finish in 3 57, and I think I was the first "costume" home...!

I ran part of the way beside you!

And agreed, big thanks to the people who came out to support. It really took my mind off the pain and put a spring in my step.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Moribund

I was a balloon boy following the yellow 3:30 hoping to stay with them (him! as one balloon flew UP before the start) and kick on at twenty if I felt good. I started to suffer and drifted off the pace at about 18 miles and never saw them again. Thanks to the crowd for keeping me going - you couldn't stop in the 'tunnell' close to the end.

I eventually finished in 3:46:30 chip time before emtying what was in my stomach - 30 seconds quicker than Belfast last year where I also blew up. I think I'm not designed for this distance.

I'd like to echo thanks to all who contributed to this forum which has kept me positive over the last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Brienoian

Ok, my story should give you all a laugh!
    First of all its great reading everyones story, some are making me feel a little bit better, but i still feel like the biggest fool of the day.
    I was planning a sub 3:30 and was feeling good for it.
    Got the Luas into St. Stephens Green only to see everyone running down Dawson Street already, how in gods name did i think it was starting at 10am instead of 9!!
    So, i had to get across everyone, sprint down to Merrion square, not a sinner left, they were pulling up the mats so i had to shout at them to leave them down and then run over them. 13 minutes back from!
    there was a camera man standing in the middle of the road that caught a great picture of the empty road and just me crossing the starting line!
    It was mile 1 before i caught the very back walker!

i caught 4:30 pacers at mile 4, 4:00 pacers at mile 8, i was thinking if i keep this i could win the race!!!!
    Was going good for my sub 3:30 until mile 19 when my body cramped up!
    Pain like i've never had before. Took me 1h 15m to run the last 7 miles and ended up 3h55m.
    First marathon, no doubt i'll have to do another to try again. :o

Thanks to all support, it really makes a difference.
    Well done to everyone.`

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

Brienoian wrote: »
    Ok, my story should give you all a laugh!
    First of all its great reading everyones story, some are making me feel a little bit better, but i still feel like the biggest fool of the day.
    I was planning a sub 3:30 and was feeling good for it.
    Got the Luas into St. Stephens Green only to see everyone running down Dawson Street already, how in gods name did i think it was starting at 10am instead of 9!!
    So, i had to get across everyone, sprint down to Merrion square, not a sinner left, they were pulling up the mats so i had to shout at them to leave them down and then run over them. 13 minutes back from!
    there was a camera man standing in the middle of the road that caught a great picture of the empty road and just me crossing the starting line!
    It was mile 1 before i caught the very back walker!

i caught 4:30 pacers at mile 4, 4:00 pacers at mile 8, i was thinking if i keep this i could win the race!!!!
    Was going good for my sub 3:30 until mile 19 when my body cramped up!
    Pain like i've never had before. Took me 1h 15m to run the last 7 miles and ended up 3h55m.
    First marathon, no doubt i'll have to do another to try again. :o

Thanks to all support, it really makes a difference.
    Well done to everyone.`

that's a class story!
    fair play for putting in a hell of a time after your late start.

came home in 3h56m
    first marathon today and absolutely loved every minute of it - even the pain - all part of the experience!

wasn't really prepared for how absolutely amazing the crowd were from start to finish. The wall of noise for the last few miles was unreal.

A brief reprieve from the wind and rain meant the temperature out there felt like a hot summers day around mile 17!

felt fantastic up to about mile 19 when the legs got really really tired. Sat in just in front of the 4 mile pacers who proved to be invaluable throughout.

Went against all regarded wisdom and used the 3 of the powerbar gels today despite not having used any gels during training and felt they really gave me a boost around the course. Will definitely be using them in future.

Not long back from the Mont Clare where there was a really good atmosphere afterwards - a few too many pints were had though!

Right, settling into the couch now for the evening as the legs sieze up in pain!

Will definitely be back for more self inflicted pain next year!

Congrats to everyone involved who made it a special day to be remembered for a long time to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

ultraman1 wrote: »
    had a malowgen day,was ok up to 12miles when me legs said no more,couldnt get goin again so put d brakes on and concentrated on finisin in 1 piece. 4ahem38ahem11ahem:o....and well done to ye all

That's a pity ultraman - sensible approach to finish rather than do damage and have to pull out. There's always the next one.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Husavik

Brienoian,

Fascinating story but bad luck aswell. You probably found it hard to manage your pace so far back. Plus you had no one to block the wind for you (or does that matter in running?).

This was my first Marathon and I got my sub 3.30 target, just, in 3.28.37. Can't really complain overall, despite the aches and pains properly kicking in round mile 20, I just plugged on helped by the wonderful support.

Bad luck with the 3.45 pacers. If the 3.30 man is reading, you seemed to do a solid job. Best lines of the day - the pensioner on Crumlin rd offering people a 'cup of tea' and the guy who asked you (pacer) to slow down a bit.

Wonderful day, well done to all the entrants and thanks finally to Boards who I only got into a couple of months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Abhainn wrote: »
    Pretty much perfect race for me. Was confident of a sub 2:55 came in at 2:47:D. PB by 14mins.
    Perfect conditions, excellent crowd brilliant day!
    Ya fairly happy man to say the least. Had a few Guinnos, now a few wheat beer if I can manage them:). Race report to follow
    Well done all

Class result Abhainn - sounds like the perfect execution based on an excellent training schedule - anyone who wants to know what it takes - check out Abhainn's log.

Woddle wrote: »
    A few of my own pics coming up now
    Dublin city marathon 09
    and don't forget to check out Racepix365

great photos Woddle
    found myself in there a couple of times!

Spent about 3 hours cheering on everyone, around 100 metres from the end.
    Gave Gerard 65 a big shout.

Fair play to you all. Its interesting the different perspective you get as a spectator, speaking as someone who did the previous 3 DCM's.
    Regarding all the folks watching with me, I didn't think they distinguished between someone who finishes in 3 30 or 4 hrs or 4 30 or whatever. That kind of respect and admiration is contagious, and I found myself viewing everyone out there on the course as a bit of a hero, regardless of their time. I guess my point is, that we runners all get a bit hung-up on times and personal goals etc, or I know I certainly do. We shouldn't beat ourselves up over not meeting arbitrary targets, it all seems to pale in comparsion to the bigger picture of actually just finishing the 26.2 miles.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Made a late decision to don the bat suit, so the 3 45 was always under pressure from there.

Still, delighted to finish in 3 57, and I think I was the first "costume" home...!

Hey Batman! I gave you a shout out in Terenure!

Well done!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

You finished right infront of me...we were collecting the medal at same time and i finished in the same time lol

Fair play for running in that costume, comedy relief is always uplifting in a race:)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Well Done everyone!

There was some great running by you all there today. Also I have enjoyed reading your stories so keep them coming.

I was cheering you on at Fortfield Road just up from the water stop. Saw Slogger Jogger go by (that was me shouting at you - don't know if you actually saw me but I think you heard me!) Said hello to two onther Boards Ac runners as well but sorry didn't know your names.

Overheard a woman say that she couldn't understand how she had seen a male runner called "Fetch" and then saw a female runner called "Fetch" as well! :D. I also saw "Denis the Menace" who I ran with on other DCM's.

Helped about five people who couldn't get their gels open. Did anyone else have that difficulty? Some of the friends I got to speak to said it was quite warm. It was certainly very pleasant for us spectators.

Anyway put the feet up tonight in the knowledge of a job well done! You have made my mind up that I am going to do it again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Wow well done to everyone. Fantastic results.
    I had a really tough run, stomach issues from mile 3 to 15...several pitstops and really bad nausea. I was about 99% sure I would have to pull out at 15 miles because everytime I ran, I felt like I needed to puke. But all of a sudden around mile 15 or so, I started to feel ok and decided to keep going. Had hoped for 4.40 (first marathon) but finished in 5.06.55 which is way off but at this stage feels like a great achievement as I was so close to a DNF. Saying that, at no point did I think, I never want to do this again, despite the agony I was in (and tears at times). Way more difficult than I expected but learned loads and am definitely coming back for more. Bring on Connemara next April :D

Oh and the crowds were amazing, they were so geniuine in their support and it really helped when things were going so badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Well all i can say after today is... Wow! A well organised race, a brilliant crowd, and a great day for it (could you imagine running it yesterday!!).

Race didn't go as well as i had hoped for me, and finished in 3:45, 20mins slower than where I wanted to be. Got through half in 1:42, and all was going to plan. But started struggling about mile 15. Found it a long stretch without water around the Crumlin area.

I knew about mile 16 that my target time was gone, so decided to relax and enjoy it. Krusty and the 3:30 pace group went by me like a train on the Clonskeagh Road, and shortly after, I had resorted to a run / walk strategy. The crowd were brilliant, and kept me going from there to the finish. Thanks to all the boards support - there were plenty of "go on boards" from the crowd, so if that was you, thank you.

The one thing that came out of today for me is that I have to do it again! Next time, i'll work on the family planning, and not have my training interrupted at a critical time!!

Well done everyone who finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

To all of you who were on the sidelines, thanks so much for your support and encouragement.

To all the runners, warmest congratulations on competing.

It was my first marathon and I have to say I now know what it feels like to face so much discomfort and come out the other side smiling and proud. It was a life-changing experience for me and if I ever need to pull motivation for anything in the future, the marathon is my go-to place in my mind!!

Been on the verge of tears since the finish and although I had a good cry with my Mam and Dad at the finish, I still feel the need to let it out because I'm so friggin proud!!!

This has been the most humbling and liberating experience of my life and with a 5 hr 5 mins finish, I can only improve and get fitter and fitter.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

yermandan wrote: »
    To all of you who were on the sidelines, thanks so much for your support and encouragement.

To all the runners, warmest congratulations on competing.

It was my first marathon and I have to say I now know what it feels like to face so much discomfort and come out the other side smiling and proud. It was a life-changing experience for me and if I ever need to pull motivation for anything in the future, the marathon is my go-to place in my mind!!

Been on the verge of tears since the finish and although I had a good cry with my Mam and Dad at the finish, I still feel the need to let it put because I'm so friggin proud!!!

This has been the most humbling and liberating experience of my life and with a 5 hr 5 mins finish, I can only improve and get fitter and fitter.

Thanks again

Well Done!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Izoard. Impressed that you managed to run a good time in the bat-suit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Husavik wrote: »
    If the 3.30 man is reading, you seemed to do a solid job. Best lines of the day - the pensioner on Crumlin rd offering people a 'cup of tea' and the guy who asked you (pacer) to slow down a bit.
    Thanks. That was Village runner (without balloon) and me (with balloon). We finished in 3:29:52, with a pretty even half-split, and by my reckoning, a negative split. Really enjoyed the whole experience, and judging by the number of people who came up and said thanks afterwards, I think we did some good today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Thanks. That was Village runner (without balloon) and me (with balloon). We finished in 3:29:52, with a pretty even half-split, and by my reckoning, a negative split. Really enjoyed the whole experience, and judging by the number of people who came up and said thanks afterwards, I think we did some good today.

I wouldnt say there was to many thanking the sub 3 pacers...they started like a train and never let up.

I laughed when i saw the baloon fly off at the start..i was wondering whose it was,Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

By the way they started I thought they were trying to win it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Yeah, I was a liitle disappointed by the 3hr pacers. They started at the very front so I couldnt get near them and they went out fast.
    I was on 3:00 pace until mile 21 and couldnt see them at all.
    Still, I guess I didnt need them. I like doing the maths in my head to figure out how I'm doing. I foolishly stopped my watch at mile 5 and started it again at mile7. That made the arithmatic all the more difficult when you're wrecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

I too would like to echo the sentiments of those congratulating the people who took part in the DCM. Only started running a few months ago so wasnt ready for this year but hopefully i will be part of the field in the next year or two.

Well done all

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Scampwolf

Super day . In at 3:51:11 Took 37 min off my PB Caught the 4:00 pacers at mile 18. Bad Start found crowd abit hard too handle and had to stop for a No 2 at Mile 12, (Not in the Plan) 5 min in Q. Put the boot down lookin for those Black balloons. 6 miles later eased up behind themHad a word with MCOS Nice to put a face to the Tag. He gave some advice to cruise for the next 3 or 4 and if there was anything in the tank at the 23rd , Let rip ! At 23 I followed his advice and was cooked at 25.5 , But Boy did I LOVE it Cruised in the last mile secure in the Knowledge I had the sub 4 in the Bag ! Thanks for the advice It made my day I'm ssssoooo Happpy. Sore but with a huge grin . Thanks Dublin !!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Woddle wrote: »
    4046477035_f841859746.jpg
    This is the guy that did the somersault, I only caught him at the end as I obviously wasn't expecting him to do a sommersault, it came out over the intercom that he was celebrating because of the 10k bonus he was going to get from his dad for coming in under 2'26 :D Not sure how true it is

That's Tom Bedford, son of David Bedford. And yes, the money bit is true. I think it may be going to charity though.

Advertisement