Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

Yeah, I was a liitle disappointed by the 3hr pacers. They started at the very front so I couldnt get near them and they went out fast.
    I was on 3:00 pace until mile 21 and couldnt see them at all.
    Still, I guess I didnt need them. I like doing the maths in my head to figure out how I'm doing. I foolishly stopped my watch at mile 5 and started it again at mile7. That made the arithmatic all the more difficult when you're wrecked.

agree

I presumed the 3 hour guys would be going at bang on 3 hour pace but they overtook me on NCR and really upped the pace there - they seemed to be going at 2:59:00 pace at the very least

I suppose most people going for sub 3 would be expected to be well aware of their own pace but if you were relying on them for an even dead on 2:59:59 pace it might have been tricky

now, I'm not giving out, just commenting - it's a massice sacrifice for anyone to be a pacer - run a full marathon with a balloon attached so fair play to them and I suppose for the first half I knew (from my own planned pace) that as long as I kept the balloon vaguely in sight I'd be in with a chance

but come the half (which I did in 1:29:42) and I was only about 5 seconds behind the gun I had lost sight of them

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Izoard wrote: »
    Wow...fantastic support out there today!

Made a late decision to don the bat suit, so the 3 45 was always under pressure from there.

Still, delighted to finish in 3 57, and I think I was the first "costume" home...!

Well done, fair play to you for having ran in this suit. And you just finished before me, sweet revenge on Eireman HIM, we are even now:rolleyes:
    See you at the next race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

911sc wrote: »
    Well done, fair play to you for having ran in this suit. And you just finished before me, suit revenge on Eireman HIM, we are even now:rolleyes:
    See you at the next race.

Nice one 911...it will be nip & tuck again next season!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Forgot to say a big thank you to all the pacers out there yesterday. It really is a very generous thing to do to give your time and expertise in that way to help plodders like me achieve a goal time. Thanks one and all.

BTW, my garmin shows 26.49 miles for the race! Didn't think I was that far off the racing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

figs wrote: »
    Well all i can say after today is... Wow! A well organised race, a brilliant crowd, and a great day for it (could you imagine running it yesterday!!).

Race didn't go as well as i had hoped for me, and finished in 3:45, 20mins slower than where I wanted to be. Got through half in 1:42, and all was going to plan. But started struggling about mile 15. Found it a long stretch without water around the Crumlin area.

I knew about mile 16 that my target time was gone, so decided to relax and enjoy it. Krusty and the 3:30 pace group went by me like a train on the Clonskeagh Road, and shortly after, I had resorted to a run / walk strategy. The crowd were brilliant, and kept me going from there to the finish. Thanks to all the boards support - there were plenty of "go on boards" from the crowd, so if that was you, thank you.

The one thing that came out of today for me is that I have to do it again! Next time, i'll work on the family planning, and not have my training interrupted at a critical time!!

Well done everyone who finished.
    I know how you feel figs. I went out looking for sub 3 and went through the 1/2 in 1:29:16 with the 3hr pacers (a tad fast but not too much). After that it was walk/jog the rest of the way. Thought my calfs were going to seize up around 23mls as they both felt like someone stuck a knife in them. Thankfully it subsided enough for me to struggle home in 3:26.
    Not sure what went wrong, I had done the training and my race times indictated that I had it in me. Guess I just didn't have it on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Dundalk

A big thank you to all the people on here who I got advise from, I took in on board and used in a lot yesterday.

I was hoping to do around 3.40 and unfortunately got stuck behind a lot of people at the start which slowed me done. I picked up the pace and felt pretty good and went past the 3.30 pacer with his big yellow balloon. I was a good bit ahead of him when my legs went at 19, I walked for a min and got going again but was sore, really sore. I kept looking behind me looking for the big yellow balloon and i could see it getting closer and closer.

It caught up with me on 22 and Id remembered someone on here saying the last few miles are mind over matter, so i tried to switch off the pain and keep up with the pacer. I just put my head down and kept running. The pacer for 3.30 was brilliant, as we came into the last mile or two he was shouting at the crowd and shouting at us. I was totally beat at 26 and got an awful pain in stomach but i remember the pacer turning around and shouting at us to come on an don't give up now, I somehow kept going and crossed over in a chip time of 3.28.02.

I was thrilled with the time, its my first marathon and i only started running in March of this year. The support the whole way around was unbelievable, I really didn't expect it to be so good.

What a day!!

Have to also say that the support was brilliant. Especially since I was struggling big time, all the cheering helped me get to the finish line.
    Also, on my long, sore lonely walk back to my b&b on Harcourt St, the amount of people who congratulated me made me happy that I had pushed through the pain barrier and finished it.

Thanks everyone.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

This was my first Dublin marathon and my 2nd marathon ever (Belfast in My being my first ever (3:49)).

I used Hald Higdon's intermediate 2 program and got all the miles in. I ran Belfast at a very consistent pace and even had enough in the legs for a sprint finish! Five months on and Dublin was a completely different story.

For the first 6 miles I didn't feel comfortable at all (I changed my porridge brand, but I doubt this was the reason). I put the first half in at around 7:50 min/miles average but found myself sweating an awful lot and wishing I'd brought a bottle to sip from at the start line. I'd 3 piss stops in Belfast so I was limiting my water intake this time round. I was aiming for 3:30 which might have ben a little ambitious.

By mile 15 I had slowed considerably to around 8:05 min/miles average. At 18 my legs felt like they did at around 22 in Belfast. I also felt like throwing up a few times which was a new sensation while running for me.

The last 4 miles were truly awful. It took more than I had in me to keep running, albeit at a crawl. When I finally crossed the line, all illusions of a 3:30 marathon had been wiped from my mind and I was just so relieved to finish. My time was 3:46:00. I improved by 3 minutes on my Belfast time which I'm a little dissapointed with. I think I went out too quick and paid the price later on. All in all though, I had to push myself so much harder here than I did in Belfast to just finish so I'm proud of myself in that respect.

It was was a great day and such a well organized event. Fair play to all that finished. 26.2 miles is no easier the 2nd time around.

domcq wrote: »
    This was my first Dublin marathon and my 2nd marathon ever (Belfast in My being my first ever (3:49)).

I used Hald Higdon's intermediate 2 program and got all the miles in. I ran Belfast at a very consistent pace and even had enough in the legs for a sprint finish! Five months on and Dublin was a completely different story.

For the first 6 miles I didn't feel comfortable at all (I changed my porridge brand, but I doubt this was the reason). I put the first half in at around 7:50 min/miles average but found myself sweating an awful lot and wishing I'd brought a bottle to sip from at the start line. I'd 3 piss stops in Belfast so I was limiting my water intake this time round. I was aiming for 3:30 which might have ben a little ambitious.

By mile 15 I had slowed considerably to around 8:05 min/miles average. At 18 my legs felt like they did at around 22 in Belfast. I also felt like throwing up a few times which was a new sensation while running for me.

The last 4 miles were truly awful. It took more than I had in me to keep running, albeit at a crawl. When I finally crossed the line, all illusions of a 3:30 marathon had been wiped from my mind and I was just so relieved to finish. My time was 3:46:00. I improved by 3 minutes on my Belfast time which I'm a little dissapointed with. I think I went out too quick and paid the price later on. All in all though, I had to push myself so much harder here than I did in Belfast to just finish so I'm proud of myself in that respect.

It was was a great day and such a well organized event. Fair play to all that finished. 26.2 miles is no easier the 2nd time around.
    Great job, glad to see I wasn't the only one suffering like that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

First off apologies for the long me me me post. This is how the day went for me and it’s something that I want to record to learn from. It was a special day for me and something I want to share....don’t care if nobody gives a ****. Here goes.

Going into this
    Training:
    Felt my training went really well. 3x20milers and an 18 and 19. One confident building 16miler at faster than marathon pace. Lots of speed work and felt really good going into DCM. Half time of 1’29 and 10km time of 39’10.

Fuelling/Rest:
    Happy with Taper and carb loading was sensible leading up to it.
    Very confident going into this, no injuries either. Plan 3’15 (secretly 3’10).

Race day
    What a day for it. I was worried about wind and rain and waiting around miserable at the start. No problems, there was a super atmosphere and I was raring to go.

First mile was 8’02 and planned pace was 7’13. I was actually really happy to be forced to go slow and really enjoyed taking it all in. I got to 10km in 46’25. Those first 6 miles were the most enjoyable miles I think I’ve ever run. Entering the park I had family with posters and it’s a great thing to see nieces/nephews (kids) out supporting. The park was beautiful and the vibe from all plodding around was so positive. Brilliant stuff.

Got out of the park and reached the water station at my club Donore Harriers. I’m only new there but it was super to have everyone shouting ‘Go Donore!’. Another boost. Just after the Chapelizod bridge, there was a section that went under a bridge. Ogi Ogi Ogi oi oi oi!!! That was great fun.
    Also gave a shout out to Woddle who caught me with the camera. Thanks Woddle.

Mile 11 and Mrs Floyd and a friend were there supporting. Nice one! For once on the crumlin road there was no wind or at least I didn’t notice. Great support up at the walkinstown roundabout. Really makes it special. Starting to feel something.....a bit of a struggle to keep the pace (7’10min/mile). This is a marathon...did I forget or something? Suck it up, take it, I’m alright.

Mile 16 or there abouts, I met Christieb (great to meet you mate). He was feeling it too. “I’m the same if it makes you feel any better” I said. Kept going, uncomfortable but it’s a marathon...!!

Mile 18. Going into the marathon, you don’t know what is going to happen, that’s what makes you nervous....the unknown. I knew now. To get to the end was going to be torture. Planned pace was held to this point. Miles 18 – 22 where 7’18/7’32/7’42/8’35/7’56

“I need to walk”, “I need to walk”, “Don’t stop”. I stopped to walk. Great words of advice from a woman in a red addidas tracksuit. I think she was working for the marathon. She put her hand on my shoulder and told me “baby steps”. She had been there before, I could tell, this really helped. The support out there was nothing short of amazing. I mean, you must get a bit bored shouting at total strangers wizzing/stumbling by. Not the case. I took lots of encouragement from every word of encouragement. I needed it.

I hit a wall in Belfast in May. This was the great wall of Dublin and I was on my own to beat it. When I stopped to walk (must have been 7 times) my eyes were rolling around my head. I felt drugged. Last few miles were 9’58/10’54/9’16. Around westland row my hamstring or some muscle around the back of my leg had other ideas. I put my hand on the muscle and it felt like it had a mind of its own. Ever touch a slug and watch it wriggle up? This was, in some way, a relief. “you can’t go on”, “stop”, “you’ve been brave, no shame”. It’s funny to be thinking things like that when dozens of people are shouting the most encouraging words. Baby steps, that works. Around by trinity I had lots of family and friends. I couldn’t muster a smile. Sorry. 26 miles, 0.2 to go. The same muscle at the top of my leg was back for more. A tap on the back from a mate from the club and we jogged to the end together. 3’26 finish time.

I was spent. I’m sure I Looked like I had drunk 20 pints and I was made sit down after the line, I could barely stand. See picture attached below, taken from the rte site. I looked over at the guy beside me and put out my hand, he shook it. I won’t forget that moment. He said to me “did I finish?”. What a brave man, I thought....”of course you did, this is the finish”. Fair play to him.

Turns out RTE news cameras caught me here and I found a snap in the Star today. Looks like I was crying...but I wasn't ;). Didn’t even notice the cameras and I’m one for pics...ask Woddle.

Scraped myself off the ground, got my t-shirt and walked to baggage. I thought I was about to feint so I quickly lay on the ground. Several people came to me to help and I won’t forget that....there are some very nice people out there. St John’s Ambulance do some great work. I was embarrassed being brought to their tent in a wheelchair but feck it, I needed help. The amount of people on beds, dying was unreal. Well done and thank you for the help.

Walking to the baggage area, I said hello to Gerard65 and then RacoonQueen. Really glad I met more boardsies. Like this post, it’s cool to share your day a little with people doing what you enjoy. Just so you two know, my lips aren’t usually blue and I usually have some colour in my face :D

Got warm clothes on, lay down for a while and got sick. Once I was able to stomach some water, I came around and started to smile and enjoy myself again. The blue lips didn’t go until around 7pm...Don’t know what that was all about.

I’m really proud of myself that I was brave (like all of you) and gave it everything. This is the main thing that I am taking from yesterday, my second Marathon. I thought I’d be disappointed to not reach my goal but it’s not about that when it comes down to it. That was all about spending too much time on Mcmillan and figuring out where I stood at the start line. “3’15 in the bag” I thought....dope. It’s all about the race and nothing is in the bag until you have finished.

Main thing I learned: Respect the marathon.

A very happy Misty Floyd.

• Advertisement

Great job Misty, I also finished in 3:26 and I went through the 1/2 in 1:29.16 for crying out loud. I can definitely relate to all your suffering brother !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

You look positively glowing compared to the guy beside you...was he still of this world at the time?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Izoard wrote: »
    You look positively glowing compared to the guy beside you...was he still of this world at the time?:)

Not really. But he seemed to be happy actually. Happy to not run anymore I'm sure. Its amazing how hard people push, how much it means to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

Great photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Great post. It's scary isn't it, all the casualties everywhere at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Big up to Tommy McElwainne. 4th in Leinster Masters xc on Sunday, 2.34 after peefectly even splits yesterday :eek:. He also did a 20k steeplechase for charity once :eek::eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

ergo wrote: »
    I presumed the 3 hour guys would be going at bang on 3 hour pace but they overtook me on NCR and really upped the pace there - they seemed to be going at 2:59:00 pace at the very least

I was with the 3 hour pacing group for nearly 20 miles. I even got to carry the balloon for a while in the Phoenix Park :D - not an easy task I can assure you with it bobbing around behind you. I had a split of 1:28 for the first half which was a little fast but I was happy that they guys knew what they were doing in keeping something in reserve for the second half. There were a number of guys questioning the pace, but I was happy to rely on the pacers expertise and given that it was my first marathon, I had no experience with which to compare. At 20 miles, heading through Clonskeagh I felt comfortable on the hill and pulled a little bit away from the pace group - unusually one of the pacers seem to up the pace and led a few ahead of me and disappeared in the distance. I was happy to keep plugging away and waited for the group to catch up, but they never appeared. I finished in a clock time of 3:00:07 but thankfully the plan to leave a few seconds gap at the gun paid off-with a chip time of 2:59:50. I'm very happy that the pacers got me to 20 miles - (thanks lads), but very glad that I set my own pace from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

lecheile wrote: »
    I was with the 3 hour pacing group for nearly 20 miles. I even got to carry the balloon for a while in the Phoenix Park :D - not an easy task I can assure you with it bobbing around behind you. I had a split of 1:28 for the first half which was a little fast but I was happy that they guys knew what they were doing in keeping something in reserve for the second half. There were a number of guys questioning the pace, but I was happy to rely on the pacers expertise and given that it was my first marathon, I had no experience with which to compare. At 20 miles, heading through Clonskeagh I felt comfortable on the hill and pulled a little bit away from the pace group - unusually one of the pacers seem to up the pace and led a few ahead of me and disappeared in the distance. I was happy to keep plugging away and waited for the group to catch up, but they never appeared. I finished in a clock time of 3:00:07 but thankfully the plan to leave a few seconds gap at the gun paid off-with a chip time of 2:59:50. I'm very happy that the pacers got me to 20 miles - (thanks lads), but very glad that I set my own pace from there.

well done lecheile, great to hear you hit your target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

lecheile wrote: »
    ....with a chip time of 2:59:50..

Awesome well run race there.....All your 24 hour support work paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

They say that you learn most from races that went badly - I agree, I learnt an awful lot of lessons yesterday.

I knew after 3 miles that it wasn't going to be all fun and games, fell apart after mile 15 and fell completely apart after 20. It was rather ugly until mile 24, and then I sort of recovered for the last 2 when I smelt the barn.

3:24:54, my slowest marathon in 3 years. Ah well. Running a fantastic race in Dingle 6 weeks before that obviously meant I had nothing left in the tank for Dublin. Since that was one of the things I wanted to find out, I'm happy enough. Now I know for sure.

I won't copy my race report into here, it's on my blog.

• Advertisement

Awesome well run race there.....All your 24 hour support work paid off.

thanks scott. Interesting you mention the 24 hour support....It certainly did not help with any physical prep (I was wrecked until the tuesday and did not run until Wednesday) but it certainly helped with the mental prep - when you experience what the guys went through, pushing on for the last 6 miles of the marathon seemed like child's play.

asimonov wrote: »
    well done lecheile, great to hear you hit your target.

thanks asimonov - I genuinely did not think I could make it - my training was a bit haphazard over the last two months. Pity you could not have been there - you will not get a better day for running than we enjoyed yesterday,

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Well done to everyone who ran yesterday. Reading the reports, it seems like it was one tough day, but one that was worth the effort and sacrifice.
    Fair play for taking part. Requires a lot of guts, and even more to finish it out when you hit that wall...
    Havent done one myself but definitely looking forward to doing one after reading these reports.
    Hope you all enjoyed the rest of ur day after the race, whatever you decided to do...Should I mention Dublin 2010?? :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Had a great day yesterday - thoroughly enjoyed it. Perfect conditions. Met Hunnymonster and ZiggyStardust at the start, who were doing pacing duties for the day.

Hit my goal of sub 3.15 - came in at chip time of 3.11.21. Really, really pleased with that. Thanks to all the supporters (those that I knew, and those that I didn't know) that pulled me round the course.

Marathon no. 3 in the bag - hopefully many more to come!

Race report (As much of it as I can remember) here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055559757&page=6

Well done to everyone, great to see a few PB's achieved by boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭aero2k

I'm not sure if I missed his post somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Race report

Worst race Ive ever done but at the same time, the best race Ive ever done. I hate excuses but last week I had a bit of a nightmare. For a few weeks leading up to the marathon my left foot was killing me, more specifically, my heel. Got an x-ray and it turns out I had developed a heel spur. But the doc said that the pain was mostly due to plantar faciiitis. But I could handle the pain so no great panic there. Then I got done with a pretty heavy cold. Had to go on antibiotics. Felt pretty crap most of last week but by friday I felt a little better so I decided to stick to the original marathon pace plan even though I had no idea how much the infection had taken out of me.
    To make matters worse I got jumped on by 3 blokes while out on my last pre-race 5 miler on sunday. Didnt get physically hurt really and not one of them could throw a decent punch to save their lives(felt like getting hit by handbags)but it was a shock. Just one of those random acts of violence you hear about everyday, no logical reason for it so I tried to put it behind me and focus on my race. My focus was a little thrown but when the race started I was able to put it to one side.
    I went off at my planned pace still not really knowing how much the illness had taken out of me but after 3 miles I found out: I was F U C K E D. Man I was gone. My legs just started to slow down and I was really struggling to maintain any kind of pace even close to my planned pace. I was only 3 miles into the race and I was already in a jock, how the hell was I gonna finish. Thats what was going through my head. And I have to admit when these thoughts did hit me the urge to give up was massive. But I had put too much work in to just give up and so I hung on, and hung on, and hung on and hung on some more.
    Just after the walkinstown roundabout was when I felt the worst. Some guy I know from the addidas race series races went bombing by me and this is somebody who'd I'd normally beat.
    That was hard to deal with but I just put my head down and hung again. But then shortly after I looked at the Garmin and it said I'd gone 17 miles and this made me feel way better. I thought to myself, I could do 9 miles no problem and so I dug deep again and ground it out mile by mile.

And then at 21miles gone, out of nowhere after feeling like dying for most of the race, I started to feel my strenght coming back. I started to knock out the miles at way faster pace than I had been doing for the previous 18miles. I started over taking people and I was also helped by a guy from sportsworld(although he had no idea he was helping me). I recognised him from previous races and when I saw him on my shoulder trying to pass me out I said to myself that there was no way I was giving up this spot without a fight. And so for the next 5 miles me, sportsworld and another dude from anthenry(who had the maddest running technique Ive ever seen)duked it out. Kept me honest and I owe a thanks to those two lads.
    And I finished very strong, overtaking people all over the shop.

So a very, very tough race. I had hoped for a 2:34 so the chopping block has my balls.......at least until next year anyway. But Im not disappointed because I did a 2:45 in the end, which considering the circumstances, was pretty good. It was the greatest test Ive ever been subjected to and Im really proud to say that I passed, I never gave up and that is the most important thing.
    Defo back next year to set the record straight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

tunguska wrote: »
    Race report
    ... And so for the next 5 miles me, sportsworld and another dude from anthenry(who had the maddest running technique Ive ever seen)duked it out. Kept me honest and I owe a thanks to those two lads.
    Thats "Brutes", of this parish too.
    There is a guy who ran sub 2:30 with the most awkward running style I have ever seen. He got a mention in the program - he's with DSD I think, but I can't remember his name.
    Brutes looks like a graceful swan compared to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

tunguska wrote: »
    Race report

Worst race Ive ever done but at the same time, the best race Ive ever done. I hate excuses but last week I had a bit of a nightmare. For a few weeks leading up to the marathon my left foot was killing me, more specifically, my heel. Got an x-ray and it turns out I had developed a heel spur. But the doc said that the pain was mostly due to plantar faciiitis. But I could handle the pain so no great panic there. Then I got done with a pretty heavy cold. Had to go on antibiotics. Felt pretty crap most of last week but by friday I felt a little better so I decided to stick to the original marathon pace plan even though I had no idea how much the infection had taken out of me.
    To make matters worse I got jumped on by 3 blokes while out on my last pre-race 5 miler on sunday. Didnt get physically hurt really and not one of them could throw a decent punch to save their lives(felt like getting hit by handbags)but it was a shock. Just one of those random acts of violence you hear about everyday, no logical reason for it so I tried to put it behind me and focus on my race. My focus was a little thrown but when the race started I was able to put it to one side.
    I went off at my planned pace still not really knowing how much the illness had taken out of me but after 3 miles I found out: I was F U C K E D. Man I was gone. My legs just started to slow down and I was really struggling to maintain any kind of pace even close to my planned pace. I was only 3 miles into the race and I was already in a jock, how the hell was I gonna finish. Thats what was going through my head. And I have to admit when these thoughts did hit me the urge to give up was massive. But I had put too much work in to just give up and so I hung on, and hung on, and hung on and hung on some more.
    Just after the walkinstown roundabout was when I felt the worst. Some guy I know from the addidas race series races went bombing by me and this is somebody who'd I'd normally beat.
    That was hard to deal with but I just put my head down and hung again. But then shortly after I looked at the Garmin and it said I'd gone 17 miles and this made me feel way better. I thought to myself, I could do 9 miles no problem and so I dug deep again and ground it out mile by mile.

And then at 21miles gone, out of nowhere after feeling like dying for most of the race, I started to feel my strenght coming back. I started to knock out the miles at way faster pace than I had been doing for the previous 18miles. I started over taking people and I was also helped by a guy from sportsworld(although he had no idea he was helping me). I recognised him from previous races and when I saw him on my shoulder trying to pass me out I said to myself that there was no way I was giving up this spot without a fight. And so for the next 5 miles me, sportsworld and another dude from anthenry(who had the maddest running technique Ive ever seen)duked it out. Kept me honest and I owe a thanks to those two lads.
    And I finished very strong, overtaking people all over the shop.

So a very, very tough race. I had hoped for a 2:34 so the chopping block has my balls.......at least until next year anyway. But Im not disappointed because I did a 2:45 in the end, which considering the circumstances, was pretty good. It was the greatest test Ive ever been subjected to and Im really proud to say that I passed, I never gave up and that is the most important thing.
    Defo back next year to set the record straight though.

jeasus bar losing a leg I can't see how you could have had any worse luck in the lead up to yesterday!

congrats on an excellent time - especially given you most definitely shouldn't have been running at all!

i'd say the sudden burst of energy was from your body giving up trying to make you give up - it suddenly decided it would be easier to get you home quicker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

aburke wrote: »
    Thats "Brutes", of this parish too.
    There is a guy who ran sub 2:30 with the most awkward running style I have ever seen. He got a mention in the program - he's with DSD I think, but I can't remember his name.
    Brutes looks like a graceful swan compared to him.

Thats brilliant:). You wouldnt think of it to look at him but that guy was as strong as a horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Abhainn wrote: »
    Pretty much perfect race for me. Was confident of a sub 2:55 came in at 2:47:D. PB by 14mins.
    Perfect conditions, excellent crowd brilliant day!
    Ya fairly happy man to say the least. Had a few Guinnos, now a few wheat beer if I can manage them:). Race report to follow
    Well done all

Well didn't manage any good wheat beers. Seemed a good idea then but felt wrecked later. Anyway part 1 of my race report is up now

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62722557&posted=1#post62722557

Advertisement