Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Thinking of doing DCM too, as my first marathon.
    Lots of reasons for doing it, but primarily because I am struggling with depression and feel an acheivement of some sort will really help my self esteem...running is something I have always been interested in and in fact prior to gaining 5 stones, I was quite good (although never did the DCM, always the Race Series though).
    Anyway, I started the Hal Higdon beginners programme last night - supposed to run 1,5 miles and managed just under a mile. Will try again tonight.
    I was supposed to do the Great Ireland in the park last weekend but didn't feel confident enough, so I know my biggest challenge is not going to be the fitness, or the masses of chub I am hauling around - but the confidence and self-belief!
    So here I am - I am josiegrosie, I live in Dundrum and I am a runner! (sorta) ;)

Well done Josiegrosie. Looking forward to seeing how you get on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 josiegrosie

1.5 miles clocked up last night. Wasn't easy but I am glad I managed it.
    I am due to do three miles tonight and I am nervous that I wont manage it. I am getting twinges in the bottom, right of my back but I suspect this is just a "teething" problem. Failing that, I'll treat myself to a massage tomorrow if it doesn't show signs of abating.
    Feeling quite good, even with these baby steps....
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Well done josiegrosie.
    Can I suggest that you only do 2 miles tonight instead of 3. Take things little by little. Don't do more than that until you are more comfortable and confident. After a few weeks, when you have formed the "training habit", you will be able to make great progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Well done josiegrosie.
    Can I suggest that you only do 2 miles tonight instead of 3. Take things little by little. Don't do more than that until you are more comfortable and confident. After a few weeks, when you have formed the "training habit", you will be able to make great progress.

HW, was about to suggest the same thing. Doubling your distance in any week isn't really the way to go. You'll just end up injured/overwhelmed/discouraged.

Little and often is the way to go, especially when you're starting. Build the habit, then the distance. Don't go overboard at the start, commit to small but significant changes.

thanks guys!
    Ill head out for two miles tonight so, and then try another1.5-2 tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

best of luck with the run tonight JosieGrosie. Softly softly does it. Gradual steady increases in training is the way to do it. Stick with this forum also, i found it excellent for info, motivation and encouragement training for DM08

thanks guys!
    Ill head out for two miles tonight so, and then try another1.5-2 tomorrow...

josie,
    are you actually following a program?

In order to ensure that you're not overdoing it and getting sufficient rest, a program is a great way to start.

A lot of people speak very highly about the Hal Higdon couch to 5k program. If you feel it's too easy then look for a 5k to 10k program or start the program half way though?

yup I am following HH's beginners spring training schedule and I am on the first week....Do you think this might be a bit advanced and I should do the Couch to 5K one?

this is the one I am following:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/spring/Springnovice.htm

J, looks grand. Only you can be the judge of whether a program is working from you or not. I just thought that you were running every single day when you didn't mention a program and seemed to be running every evening.

Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement

Well I've just ordered my copy of The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer! :D

Praying that the rain holds off tomorrow so that I can get out and do a little bit of a jog or at the very least a walk. :rolleyes:

Next step is actually entering the DM!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

good for u mg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Praying that the rain holds off tomorrow so that I can get out and do a little bit of a jog or at the very least a run. :rolleyes:
    When you are old and wrinkly, you will never remember the day that you skipped a training session to sit in front of the tv. There's a good chance that you might remember the first time that you said 'to hell with it', I'm going out, even if it's raining. :)

When you are old and wrinkly, you will never remember the day that you skipped a training session to sit in front of the tv. There's a good chance that you might remember the first time that you said 'to hell with it', I'm going out, even if it's raining. :)

True True, Maybe tomorrow will be that day for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

I see Fagan is talking about giving dublin a good go:

http://dublinmarathon.ie/news.php?article=227

i'm going to ask a stupid question. i'm sure i was told before but anyways.

i reckon ican do a 46 min 10km in a race. hoping to do 3:45 (tough tho) in dub09dcm. (4:01 last yr)

whats tempo training? how far and how fast and how often should i be doing tempo. my main goals are occasional 10km races but leading to dub marathon which is the main purpose of my training.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

tempo is starting off easy and then doing a set period in the middle hard and then easing off at the end. E.g. 10 mins easy 20min hard 10min easy. Check out this page for info on the diff types of session you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

mrak wrote: »
    tempo is starting off easy and then doing a set period in the middle hard and then easing off at the end. E.g. 10 mins easy 20min hard 10min easy. Check out this page for info on the diff types of session you can do.

thanks a lot for this page. i have begun training for my first marathon which is Dublin and i thought it would be all just going out and running to slowly build up the distance i can cover. this should help me mix it up.

Well I have everything I need now to start running. Got a few tops, running socks, runners and a training watch with HRM on it :D Dublin 09 here I come :D

Slow but steady progress being made down here in South Dublin. Spent the end of last week doing short runs in the middle of longer speed walks, and last night (whilst the hubby cheered on Chelsea) I went out for my scheduled 1.5 mile run. Sped-walked about .7m then launched into quite a fast paced run up the Goatstown Road for about 2 miles then back into a quick walk.
    This felt like progress for the first time and I definately think I run better in the evenings and after my dinner (which last night was steak, mash and carrots off The Diet Plate) so here's to Twilight runs and baby steps

• Advertisement

someone mentioned change to start area. how do you know this? is there any info/map link. ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

mrak wrote: »
    I see Fagan is talking about giving dublin a good go:

http://dublinmarathon.ie/news.php?article=227

Hmmmm no quotes in that article and I dont remember him saying that:confused:

Maybe Im wrong but it seemed to me he was undecided what to do and Dublin was only an option at this stage.....a far cry from "vowing to take Dublin".

Hope its true though.....I reckon he could run a very good race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Babybing wrote: »
    Hmmmm no quotes in that article and I dont remember him saying that:confused:

Maybe Im wrong but it seemed to me he was undecided what to do and Dublin was only an option at this stage.....a far cry from "vowing to take Dublin".

Hope its true though.....I reckon he could run a very good race.
    I wouldnt expect him to run Dublin this year, I have a feeling his next marathon is going to be a quick one, and a possible stab at an irish record. Going on form that should be possible if he stays injury free.. Dublin is just too close to the Euro's which he is defo running .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

anyone do the Great Run in the park? was it so crowded that it affected your time? that put me off so didnt do it.

Done 49:01 for 10 km. Very happy with time as I shaved a couple of minutes off me previos best. I joined a running club and I am doing a lot of 200m 800m 1000m and hill session. They really seem to be impoving the stamina.
    Now I have to start working on the milage and balance the speed work with the distance training. I reckon I'll do 2 speed sessions and two 8 - 13 mile runs between now and July. In July I will cut out one speed session and replace it with a tempo session. Here's hoping for a sub 4 hour in October.

chez-moi wrote: »
    Done 49:01 for 10 km. Very happy with time as I shaved a couple of minutes off me previos best. I joined a running club and I am doing a lot of 200m 800m 1000m and hill session. They really seem to be impoving the stamina.
    Now I have to start working on the milage and balance the speed work with the distance training. I reckon I'll do 2 speed sessions and two 8 - 13 mile runs between now and July. In July I will cut out one speed session and replace it with a tempo session. Here's hoping for a sub 4 hour in October.

Well done on your time for the Great Ireland Run

Has anyone any experiance of training to lower the heart rate. I have started using a HRM and my heart rate is in the high zone. I'd like to do some conditioning to lower this before I really get stuck into the long runs. Has anyone any tips on how best to achieve this

Just entered race series. let the fun begin:D.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I see the extra gift for running the three race series events is an adidas bag. That's slightly disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I see the extra gift for running the three race series events is an adidas bag. That's slightly disappointing.

In fairness its a very good price for the races.

I mean the three t shirts are probably worth the 45 quid alone and the organisation is apparently excellent. Was tempted to do it myself but the races dont really fit into my plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to do the races, just like I haven't decided whether or not to actually do Dublin this year. That said - whether I do Dublin or not, it's still nice to have races every few weeks to target, and €45 is good value for 3 races.

Advertisement