Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

Done 10 mile and half last year. Organisation was very good. Only gripe and this is something you should take note of if taking part this year was they gave plastic cups of water!!! It meant you had to stop to get a drink otherwise it was like something out of it's a knockout!!! I'll be using my fuel belt this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Did all 3 for the last 2 yrs,very good races and nice shirts/good value. Route has become a bit boring for me now though as it is very similar --maybe going the opposite way for a change??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

anyone know if the 10 mile and half routes are described as 'tough' or rel straight forward ish.
    seems like you get a t shirt with each race. not bad ? !and finally are these races too crowded for comfort as in trying to get pb's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

The half marathon is surprisingly hilly... nastily so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Wouldn't say they're too crowded for comfort - at least I wouldn't say the half was last year

• Advertisement

blisters on inside edge of feet have always plagued me. 1000 mile socks etc, plasters, vaseline etc
    bought a €2 pair of running socks in aldi or lidl..................no blisters! whats goin on there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

hawkwing wrote: »
    Did all 3 for the last 2 yrs,very good races and nice shirts/good value. Route has become a bit boring for me now though as it is very similar --maybe going the opposite way for a change??

The route is much easier the opposite way. Where's the fun in that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

blisters on inside edge of feet have always plagued me. 1000 mile socks etc, plasters, vaseline etc
    bought a €2 pair of running socks in aldi or lidl..................no blisters! whats goin on there.

Am loving those Aldi socks, have completely stocked up. Will have been worn to a thread come october with any luck though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

+1 for the Aldi and Lidl socks, have about 4-5 pairs and haven't had a blister since I started wearing them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

I was going to post about this... My wife got me some fancy running socks.. even tell you which is for the right foot and which is for the left foot as a gift:rolleyes:....:D

I have never had blister on my foot till I wore these... i usually wear the cheapest sports socks I can find like you's see in the value "bin" in JJBs and places like that ... you know "5pairs for 8 euro"...

Wore them again on Sunday gone and I have 3 blisters on the inside of each foot too...

Back to JJbs me think

• Advertisement

too lazy to keep a full log so just gonna post here the odd run .
    tonight 7 miles planned easy/hard/easy/hard/easy/hard/easy
    hope to do the hard in about 7 mins each:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭OrlaBar

Hey there
    I did the marathon last year, I would LOOOOOOOOOOVE to do it this year as I think this year will be an extra special one.
    I feel I dont have the motivation I had last year... feel a bit slumpy??? anyone give me any advice to shift my ass and get back in the mode??
    I haven't really jogged since october... well 5 miles here and there but nothing amazing... I would want to start the end of may really if i plan on doing it this year ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

OrlaBar wrote: »
    Hey there
    I did the marathon last year, I would LOOOOOOOOOOVE to do it this year as I think this year will be an extra special one.
    I feel I dont have the motivation I had last year... feel a bit slumpy??? anyone give me any advice to shift my ass and get back in the mode??
    I haven't really jogged since october... well 5 miles here and there but nothing amazing... I would want to start the end of may really if i plan on doing it this year ?

Firstly, get yourself a wall chart and pencil in some runs. It's easier to motivate yourself when it's written down.
    Secondly, join a club or training group.

treat yourself to some new runners gear watch etc or anytrhing that ll give u a push. good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Quick question: If one who currently appear on the lower end of the fitness level and wanted to work towards the DubMar would they have a chance at getting fit in time at all? I figure if I start training now and give the 5K a go I might have a decent idea if I can make the 10K etc? Am I kidding myself?

its doable but the marathon race series 5, 10 and half mara in phoenix pk or similar would be the real guide i reckon.
    even if u end up walking alot of it so what, give it a go! usual disclaimers etc doctor check up/health check/etc blah blah.
    as jack would say.........give it a lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Ive decided to stop talking about it and actually do it this year - plus the 5, 10 and half mara in phoenix pk too. I can cover 12ks in about 40 mins so Im just building on that right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Hey everyone

Another newbie here. I've run 3 half marathons over the past year and now it's time to step it up to the Big One.

I've been living overseas since June 2008 and am coming home specially to do the Dublin Marathon cause want my first marathon to be on home turf. Should be a nice way to reacquaint myself with Dublin :)

I'm currently in Calgary, Canada where it's zero degrees and freezing in late May. Yesterday it was plus 23. This country is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I was in Calgary on way to banff when on HM couple years ago, also doing dcm for first time this year, best of luck with training, will u start a training log on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JB72

My brother and I just decided to do the DCM this year. 2 average guys, used to be fit but now like our weekend beer and the usual evils to much. I understand that to start training we need to cut out the drinking, but can anyone tell me specifically what are the best/worst things to drink when training (yes, I know NO alcohol is better, but I have a summer of weddings coming up etc..) And how long before the big race should I abstain completely? Thanks for any replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭jlang

JB72 wrote: »
    My brother and I just decided to do the DCM this year. 2 average guys, used to be fit but now like our weekend beer and the usual evils to much. I understand that to start training we need to cut out the drinking, but can anyone tell me specifically what are the best/worst things to drink when training (yes, I know NO alcohol is better, but I have a summer of weddings coming up etc..) And how long before the big race should I abstain completely? Thanks for any replies.
    You know yourself that beer doesn't aid fitness and if you're starting into running 4-6 times a week, you'll find out soon enough through experience what your body can handle. How close to giving up you need to go will depend on the volume and intensity of your training and your expectation of performance. The odd glass of wine or pint of beer won't really affect you too much, it's the heavy sessions that cause conflict with training. The big danger with drinking is that a heavy drinking session can make you miss training sessions and once you let a few slip, it's harder to get back in a routine.

It is definitely easier to drink after running than run after drinking. I find a few miles easy run can be a great way to clear the cobwebs but it's very hard to actually persuade myself to put on the runners. You'll find it next to impossible to face a difficult run the morning after a good feed of drink so if your long run is on Saturday or Sunday and you still want to go out, you'd be better off driving to the pub the night before (and home, sober). One missed long run won't kill your race, but these are the most important training sessions and you need to make sure to get them done which will affect your life for the few months. A friendly wager with your regular drinking chums may help here.

Personally, I wouldn't drink the weekend of the marathon (until after the race), but a unit or two on the Friday probably wouldn't have any effect on your race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JB72

Great advice, thanks a lot! I'm sure it'll do my pocket some good too:)

wasn't planning on keeping a training log but if the demand is there for one i'll do one? was reading the race reports from DCM last year and sooo excited!

7 miles tonight hopefully. hail, rain or snow. ahem,

just wondering about the race categories as well.

my half-marathon times have all been around the 2hrs 2/2hrs 3 mins marker so i played it safe and registered for the over 4hrs 15 mins category of the marathon. that's not going to be too big a deal is it where exactly you start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

goofygirl wrote: »
    just wondering about the race categories as well.

my half-marathon times have all been around the 2hrs 2/2hrs 3 mins marker so i played it safe and registered for the over 4hrs 15 mins category of the marathon. that's not going to be too big a deal is it where exactly you start?

Certainly wasnt a big deal last year - a bit of a free for all really. i think there were two categories - each with different colour codes. but from what i remember, everyone just went where they wanted on the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KARENGILLIAN

Killerz wrote: »
    Certainly wasnt a big deal last year - a bit of a free for all really. i think there were two categories - each with different colour codes. but from what i remember, everyone just went where they wanted on the day...

No big deal, from my experience last year try and stay away from the footpaths at the start of the race, ceratinly past Holles Hospital. For some unknown reason there were actually cars parked on the left hand side of Merrion Square, it caused absolute mayhem in front of me, one poor woman ran straight into one of the parked cars and I'd say that was curtains for her. Could you imagine putting all the training in and then crashing out after 500 yds ?!. Arrive early there was a bit of chaos with people arriving late and pushing in from Fitz Sq.:eek:

not sure but i 'heard' there might be slight change to start location of race this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

There's no limit on the number of entries - the more the merrier. However, there is a strict closing date.
    There will be a change to the start area so that there hopefully won't be any congestion at the first turn. Also, a slight change to the finish area. The remainder of the course will be the same as last year.

I mentioned it a number of weeks ago. Slight changes to the start and finish areas. Also, three time zones for lining up pre race instead of two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 AILS_00

Hi guys,

I've been reading thru lots of the marathon posts and just wondered if there are any groups from Boards.ie that meet for the long training runs for the Dublin marathon? I did it once before and met with a group on Saturday mornings for the long run and found it very motivating!

Ails

Advertisement