Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

AILS_00 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've been reading thru lots of the marathon posts and just wondered if there are any groups from Boards.ie that meet for the long training runs for the Dublin marathon? I did it once before and met with a group on Saturday mornings for the long run and found it very motivating!

Ails

Hi Ails
    Where are you living? I'm not up to the long runs yet but would love some company when I get there...... I'm in Limerick

Quick question: If one who currently appear on the lower end of the fitness level and wanted to work towards the DubMar would they have a chance at getting fit in time at all? I figure if I start training now and give the 5K a go I might have a decent idea if I can make the 10K etc? Am I kidding myself?

Not kidding yourself at all Harry - There's plenty of programs you can follow to bring you up to a certain level before starting the actual marathon training but you would need to be starting now.

I've only been training properly in the last week and I've alreaedy seen a huge improvement. I went from not being able to run to being able to run 20 mins of a 30 min session

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AILS_00

Hi Ails
    Where are you living? I'm not up to the long runs yet but would love some company when I get there...... I'm in Limerick

I'm based in Dublin - should have said that in the first place! So we might be a bit far apart to meet for those long runs! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Hi folks,
    Instead of talking about doing the marathon year after year I have paid my fee and since the start of May Im running about 50k a week with a few 10k races here and there. Is it ok to miss a day or two's training here and there?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

does anyone have the route? I'm considering entering this wouldn't mind having a look or training on the route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

You can assume the course will be very similar to the last few years. It was mentioned here before that the start will be altered a bit, but the main route won't change.
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/map-2008.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

ntlbell wrote: »
    does anyone have the route? I'm considering entering this wouldn't mind having a look or training on the route

The 2008 course is still up on www.dublinmarathon.ie
    There will be minor alterations to the start section and finish area, however, the remainder of the course remains the same.

Going to sit DCM out this year.

Have done the last 3 years, so will take time out to reassess my goals! The main target was always sub-4, which I finally achieved in '08!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

ntlbell wrote: »
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/general_course.php
    is a link to the 2008 route. As hardworker suggested, there may be slight changes to the start and finish areas this year but the rest I would imagine is pretty much spot on.

I did it once before and met with a group on Saturday mornings for the long run and found it very motivating!

Ails

Yes, I did that with 'Irish Fit' last year. Really contributed to my reduced time in '08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

thanks folks, google skills getting a tad lazy :o

looks like a pretty flat route.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Here's my route map and elevation profile from last year: DCM08

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hi guys,

I've been reading thru lots of the marathon posts and just wondered if there are any groups from Boards.ie that meet for the long training runs for the Dublin marathon? I did it once before and met with a group on Saturday mornings for the long run and found it very motivating!

Ails

Whereabouts in Dublin are you? I'm sure there'll be a lot of people looking for people to run with closer to the time. It is still 20 weeks to go isn't it? I'd be up for meeting with others for some of my long runs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Not kidding yourself at all Harry - There's plenty of programs you can follow to bring you up to a certain level before starting the actual marathon training but you would need to be starting now.

I've only been training properly in the last week and I've alreaedy seen a huge improvement. I went from not being able to run to being able to run 20 mins of a 30 min session

Thanks started training and seen great improvements already.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Hey all..

Great to see so much spirit in here..First timer going for this years DCM..My Dad has done all of them and I think it would be a nice touch to be there on the 30th with him..already out running and all just hope i cen retain motivation!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

wow ! theres not many can say that.
    good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Just registered.
    18 week programme beginning on 22nd June.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Quick Question for a first time marathoner. after the elites are let off the leash is everyone just let go then or are there several different sections? under 4 hours here i come. woo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

p to the e wrote: »
    Quick Question for a first time marathoner. after the elites are let off the leash is everyone just let go then or are there several different sections? under 4 hours here i come. woo

After the Wheelchairs and the elites are let off, there are supposed to be sections based on your predicted/calculated time (eg sub 3:30, 3:30 to 4:15 and >4:15). but the organisation of these sections is largely left to the integrity of the competitors and, therefore, it can be a free-for-all after the WC and the elites are free of the riff-raff :rolleyes:.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

doledude86 wrote: »
    Hey all..

Great to see so much spirit in here..First timer going for this years DCM..My Dad has done all of them and I think it would be a nice touch to be there on the 30th with him..already out running and all just hope i cen retain motivation!!!

Best of luck.

There are 29 men and 1 woman who have ran all Dublin Marathons so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

eliwallach wrote: »
    Just registered.
    18 week programme beginning on 22nd June.;)

My training starts next Monday also eliwallach ...good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Yeah best of luck everyone, reckon a lot of people starting programmes now, I've started mine today cause will defo miss one weekend of long run during program

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well I paid my registration last night, hopefully I'll be back in full training by this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent 18 week programme or the one im using is from the marathon website..does anyone rate that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Right, signed up now. Have been boozing far too much at the weekends since Belfast so hitting that on the head. I see there are a few pecham pacers on this page. Good stuff. 22nd June....time to get going. Hope the training goes well, injury free. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

doledude86 wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent 18 week programme or the one im using is from the marathon website..does anyone rate that one?

Here you go

Hal Higdon novice. You'll find intermediate and advanced on that site. Highly recommended here on boards by many. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Yoda08

Another first timer here... got the Hal Higdon programme but started last week as I have 2 weeks holiday in SA that I'm not sure whether I'll get the time to complete the full programme for weeks 1/2 so squeezing in an extra 2 weeks at the start.. hopefully will maintain to ensure I can hit the ground running into week 3 from 6th July...*fingers crossed*

Payday is next week so I'll be signing up then.
    Still not able to run a full 3 miles but I'm going to start the program on Monday all the same. I'm sure if I can stick to the plan I'll be running properly in a month or so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Just signed up myself there too. My first marathon so it will be some challenge for me! Fairview park will be seeing a lot of me in the next 18 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

I have signed up too.:D. Did my first marathon in April this year after a year running (4.36) . Really want to do a better time in Dublin but was worried that I wouldnt keep up the momentum gathered over the winter so I also signed up for a marathon mid August. Not sure if this was wise and training schedule wise I am falling between lots of stools. Advice welcome :o

I am running 4-5 times a week ( mostly 4) and long runs for last few weeks were 16.6,M 12.5,M 18,M. Have also started doing some intervals on one of my 5/6 Mile runs.( 6 sets) 4 mins fast and 4 mins recovery.
    Not sure if I am doing enough . Compared with my first preparation I dont seem to be covering as much ground. Maybe I am too complacent . Getting a bit anxious about the next 8 weeks. Have I enough time to give it a good go?:confused:

Will be doing Achill half in 2 weeks. Do I do the longer run this weekend and back off the weekend before Achill?

Advertisement