Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2009 Thread - NO NUMBER SWAPS HERE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Ive been training for the last 2 months doing 10k runs every 2nd day. I increased it to 15 today and felt like I could do more in preparation for the Multimarathon in Clontarf and of course the big one in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Wow! I would never have thought using a pacer would b considered cheating. I was hoping to go sub 4 but my mate, who has done dcm, tells me that will be quite tough. when I said to him I wanted to do a sub 2 half, he was certain I could do it which makes be believe that it would b tough to go sub 4. so now I think completing should b my goal rather than hooking up with a pace group or if anything, the sub 4 30 pace group. Think I may b over reaching on the sub 4 dream.

He mentioned one of the problems was the large number of people in the c. 4 hour group, he figured that it can take about 8 miles to get a bit of room and could knock about 20 mins off your potential, is this a fair assessment?

By the way congrats to everyone involved for putting the official pacers together, it's fantastic for boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Wow! I would never have thought using a pacer would b considered cheating. I was hoping to go sub 4 but my mate, who has done dcm, tells me that will be quite tough. when I said to him I wanted to do a sub 2 half, he was certain I could do it which makes be believe that it would b tough to go sub 4. so now I think completing should b my goal rather than hooking up with a pace group or if anything, the sub 4 30 pace group. Think I may b over reaching on the sub 4 dream.

He mentioned one of the problems was the large number of people in the c. 4 hour group, he figured that it can take about 8 miles to get a bit of room and could knock about 20 mins off your potential, is this a fair assessment?

By the way congrats to everyone involved for putting the official pacers together, it's fantastic for boards.ie

I replied in the Dublin City marathon thread. Probably should move the above posts too, to keep this thread related to the organization of pacers.

Doesn't sound right. 20 minutes is far too much. As is 8 miles of congestion. In DCM last year, I think I lost around 2 minutes of the first mile to congestion.

A guy I didn't know, and had never run with tried to convince me that I would struggle to beat 4 hours in my first marathon last summer. How can somebody else know what you're good for, when you don't even know yourself? I had a feeling I was good for 3:30, and finished in 3:25.

As for following pacing being cheating... That's just ridiculous.

Yeah, please move my post from pacers thread, should've used this one

I suppose the 26 miles is becoming a little daunting now as I get into proper training from tomorrow. I am determined and committed though which will go some ways to acheiving my goal, I'll just have to see bow trainig goes and make a proper assessment of goal closer to the time, I might be one of your groupies on the day kc afterall, do u know how it will be done, will u be wearing a balloon or maybe two large clumps of green hair either side of your head, maybe there could b Simpsons themed pacing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Yep It's great. Now let just hope the volunteer pacers keep their end (or have the experience to keep) to of the bargain :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Any1 that accuses you of cheating for joining a pacing group is a moron in my opinion. Its intelligent as far as im concerned.
    +1, you're not gaining any mechanical advantage from the pacer (unlike say drafting in a cycle race). If a pacer was considered cheating, then so would wearing a watch or looking at the distance signs along the course.

:) Balloons, I'd say! Maybe Krusty Balloons?!
    You sound like you're running so well that the 26 should be very straighforward (if a little torturous, as it is for everyone).
    The point I was trying to make is that you shouldn't listen to other people's advice (including mine!) on what pace or target you should be aiming for. Only you (and a couple of well-timed races beforehand) can determine what time you are able for. Best of luck with the training.

I see Dublin City Marathon is 18 weeks from today!
    To all those starting their training plans over the next day or two, I wish you luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I replied in the Dublin City marathon thread. Probably should move the above posts too, to keep this thread related to the organization of pacers.
    done :-)

Doesn't sound right. 20 minutes is far too much. As is 8 miles of congestion. In DCM last year, I think I lost around 2 minutes of the first mile to congestion.

A guy I didn't know, and had never run with tried to convince me that I would struggle to beat 4 hours in my first marathon last summer. How can somebody else know what you're good for, when you don't even know yourself? I had a feeling I was good for 3:30, and finished in 3:25.

As for following pacing being cheating... That's just ridiculous.

Hi Krusty et al,

This is a pacing related question. Just referring to the quoted post above. When you did the DCM last year, were you in the sub 3:30 group / pen, and as a result have less congestion as you were placed a little further ahead of the largest group of runners. What are the time parameters for groups anyway which dictate your starting point.

Would there be more congestion in the say 3:45 to 4:30 group of people or is it a non issue. I imagine if you are pacing sub 4, you will be in this large group aswell and will that make your job a little more difficult in terms of maybe making up for lost time etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

does sub 4, mean sub 4 by the official start clock i assume so?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I would never consider a pacer a way of cheating.

I used my garmin 205 last year and it cost me my time big time as when i hit ten miles on my watch i was only around 9 on the course, totally threw me off. Came in just over 4 hours but one thing i would say about it was i totally enjoy it and maybe that should be everyone's aim for their first marathon.

As for congestion, the only two parts i found congestion was the street onto pearce st where the crowd virtually stop for a second and oconnell street was a nightmare, after that its great. The amount of people that are out supporting everyone is the best part of the race.

Did my first long slow run today 1:25, and did 10 miles, which is actually faster than my training pace last year.

Tomorrow back on to steady run, 8miles at 8min pace!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sub 4 usually means sub 4 by your chip time!

Sub 4 usually means sub 4 by your chip time!

but for the pacing group leader ?

Hi Krusty et al,

This is a pacing related question. Just referring to the quoted post above. When you did the DCM last year, were you in the sub 3:30 group / pen, and as a result have less congestion as you were placed a little further ahead of the largest group of runners. What are the time parameters for groups anyway which dictate your starting point.

Would there be more congestion in the say 3:45 to 4:30 group of people or is it a non issue. I imagine if you are pacing sub 4, you will be in this large group aswell and will that make your job a little more difficult in terms of maybe making up for lost time etc.
    Yes, I was in the second pen, but I believe it was a 3-4 hour pen (if memory serves me correctly) somewhere in the last third of the pen. I'd say the congestion was the same/similar in the +4 pen, as you're still channeling the same throughput of people through the same width of streets, the only exception being that you're more likely to hit more runners/walkers who are in the wrong pen, slowing you down. But there is no way that you would be anywhere near 20 minutes.

The pens this year are:
    Sub 3:30
    3:30-4:15
    4:15+

So for a sub 4, we'd be in the 3:30-4:15 pen, and be facing a similar congestion to last year. This is being discussed on the other thread, but the pacer would need to record exactly what time they crossed the start line (in relation to the starting gun, to let pacees (who only find the pacer after the race has started) know whether they should be ahead or behind. But I would imagine the plan would be to gather as many pacees as possible before the start of the race, and cross the start line in a similar time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Just a note on the congestion issue:
    There is a new start this year that should cut out the congestion at Holles Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ducky1

Am going to attempt the DCM this year - my first marathon.

Only up to 3 miles so far...so a way to go yet!!

thanks for all the tips - I will be checking back often!

good luck everyone

Yes, I was in the second pen, but I believe it was a 3-4 hour pen (if memory serves me correctly) somewhere in the last third of the pen. I'd say the congestion was the same/similar in the +4 pen, as you're still channeling the same throughput of people through the same width of streets, the only exception being that you're more likely to hit more runners/walkers who are in the wrong pen, slowing you down. But there is no way that you would be anywhere near 20 minutes.

The pens this year are:
    Sub 3:30
    3:30-4:15
    4:15+

So for a sub 4, we'd be in the 3:30-4:15 pen, and be facing a similar congestion to last year. This is being discussed on the other thread, but the pacer would need to record exactly what time they crossed the start line (in relation to the starting gun, to let pacees (who only find the pacer after the race has started) know whether they should be ahead or behind. But I would imagine the plan would be to gather as many pacees as possible before the start of the race, and cross the start line in a similar time.

Cheers kc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Ducky1 wrote: »
    Am going to attempt the DCM this year - my first marathon.

Only up to 3 miles so far...so a way to go yet!!

thanks for all the tips - I will be checking back often!

good luck everyone

Hi Ducky
    Best of luck with the training. Only up to 3 miles myself but have a 6 mile this weekend :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Perhaps a tad early for this but ah why not!

Each person has a time in mind for their Marathon, perhaps 2... 1 that they secretely hope to achieve if everything goes perfectly to plan and luck is on their side on the day too and the other one, the OUT LOUD goal that is your realistic target based on the training that you have done and are currently doing. The one that you are brave enough to admit or even keep a log on ;) It was a bit of fun and motivation last year and with the community developing this year it may just bring some posters together on the day behind one of our own pacers... So to kick it off I'll volunteer my OUT LOUD time for DM09... as my Marathon training doesn't start until Sept 14 (not one of my main goals this year) it is ambitious but hopefully realistic...

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'15"
    MCOS 3'14'59" :D

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"

SUB 4'00"

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

• Advertisement

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'15"

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"

SUB 4'00"

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"
    Munster_Gal (anything under 5 hours would be great)

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'15"

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"
    ManFromAtlantis 3:39

SUB 4'00"

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'15"

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"

SUB 4'00"
    Hardy Eustace 3:59:59 (Go team Peckham) :D

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'15"

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"

SUB 4'00"

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

I was just about to leave you a strongly worded message lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'15"

SUB 3'30"
    Colblimp 3:29:46 (Or quicker!) :D

SUB 3'45"

SUB 4'00"

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'15"

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"

SUB 4'00"
    osnola ivax 3:59:59 (amadeus allstars)

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'15"

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"
    ronanmac 3:44:59 (the commitment makes me nervous:eek:)

SUB 4'00"

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'15"

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"

SUB 4'00"

SUB 4'30"
    Sub430 (what's in a name?) :) Also amadeus allstars

SUB 5'00"

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'15"

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"

SUB 4'00"
    Oryx 3:59:59 (amadeus allstars)

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was going to use my time from Edinburgh to set my goal for Dublin...so until further notice I'll put in my Edinburgh goal instead.

SUB 3'00"

SUB 3'15"

SUB 3'30"

SUB 3'45"

SUB 4'00"
    Oryx 3:59:59 (amadeus allstars)
    RacoonQueen - as close as possible to 3:45 (Peckhams Pacers)

SUB 4'30"

SUB 5'00"

Advertisement