Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes for sale at the end of parnell street??

Options
  • 17-02-2009 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Ok I'm sure this has come up before and I couldn't find a bicycle area on the site so move if you want.

Anyway what is the story with the set up at the bottom of parnell st ? (opposite cineworld) My bike had just been nicked and when I called the police I was told "go down the bottom of parnell street and you'll find your bike". So I went in and the guy was as dodgy as they come. Obviously (in my own opinion) everything in the place is red hot and even the guards are aware so why don't they do something about it ? It's been there years as far as I can remember, surely it should be closed down ? Anyone ever buy a bike from here or had any dealings with them ? I was tempted as I had only bought the bike a week ago and wasn't keen on speending money again but then I'd be helping the cause of these criminals (if indeed they are).

Oh ye my bike wasn't there :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Are you talking about Cycleways?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Doesn't sound like cycleways, who are a very reputable store.

The problem for the Gardai is it's one thing to suspect the store in question is selling stolen bikes, it's another to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's not Cycleways.

It's a scrub lot on the very end of Parnell Street, with a few shipping containers full of remarkably suspicious "pre-owned" bikes. The dodgiest operation I've ever seen anybody get away with in broad daylight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yeh, thats the place. They had a few old Micra's in there too before. I did see some dealings between the host and members of the public before like buying bikes but i never figured out how legit it was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I work within fifty yards of Cineworld and have never noticed this place. Must take a luck. I was waiting for you to say your bike was there btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

If it wasn't at the time, I'd say it will be soon.

It's the same place that has all the car wash signs around, they don't always have the bikes out on display. There are still a few Micras in there at the minute.

I dunno if I'd actually accuse them of actively "acquiring" dodgy stock themselves, but they've certainly no qualms about dealing in it.

Honestly, the whole thing couldn't be less legit if there were still severed hands clasping some of the bikes' handlebars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

are their prices reasonable?

I need a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

My bike had just been nicked so I'll give it a few days and head over again and see if it's there. I would imagine surley all the guards would have to do would be to ask them to show how they got the stuff. Arent there regulations on trading in such a way?

As for their prices ? When I went in to have a look the guy was trying to sell me quite a nice bike for €350. I thought i'd test his resolve and told him I wouldn't give him €100 for it and turned to leave. By the time I had crossed the road he shouted €150 at me. Now i'm no expert on bikes but when I was in cycleways afterwards I saw a very similar bike for €1100 so ye the prices are great which is exactly why I assume everything in the place is stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

As well as the place on Parnell street there are a few other not so final resting places for stolen bikes you might want to try. Don't know if they are both still going. Good luck.

I too have no idea why the cops don't do something about these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Do bicycles still have ID numbers stamped on the frame?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

OldGoat wrote: »

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Gavin wrote: »
    Yes

There ya go OP. Just check your copy of the ID number against those in the bike shop. When you find a match they you will have the evidence that the Gardai need to act. I take it you did get the number of your bike? Didn't you have to write it somewhere on your insurance policy for the bike? :rolleyes:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

If you were a bike thief, I'd imagine you'd do your damnedest to remove any serial numbers from the bikes before trying to sell them.
    There ya go OP. Just check your copy of the ID number against those in the bike shop. When you find a match they you will have the evidence that the Gardai need to act. I take it you did get the number of your bike? Didn't you have to write it somewhere on your insurance policy for the bike? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

johnson1 wrote: »
    My bike had just been nicked and when I called the police I was told "go down the bottom of parnell street and you'll find your bike". So I went in and the guy was as dodgy as they come. Obviously (in my own opinion) everything in the place is red hot and even the guards are aware so why don't they do something about it ? It's been there years as far as I can remember, surely it should be closed down ? Anyone ever buy a bike from here or had any dealings with them ?

This is just lunacy - surely if the police know about this they should be able to shut it down. :mad::mad::mad:

FFS surely with a bit of work they should be able to stake this place down and close them down.

If the junkies/bike thiefs have nowhere to sell their bikes then as a result there would be a drop in bike thefts?

Even if they just open up somewhere else at least they are shut down for a while. If the guards keep on closing them down eventually its not going to be worth their while and they will give up. At the very least it makes their life miserable for a while.

Shame about the theft OP and fair play for not supporting these criminals by buying a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

If you were a bike thief, I'd imagine you'd do your damnedest to remove any serial numbers from the bikes before trying to sell them.

You overestimate the effort
    • these guys are willing to go to
    • involved in removing a serial number. Usually a pretty deep stamp that you can't just sand off

If you're right and the serials are still on those bikes, then someone should go public with the story - and I mean more public than this forum - because it looks very much like the police are turning a blind eye. And, as a cyclist, that infuriates me.

Anyone know which production company makes Prime Time...?
    • involved in removing a serial number. Usually a pretty deep stamp that you can't just sand off

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Frankly it would be even more suspicious if all the bikes they sold had their serial numbers removed, as PMan says these things don't just fall off accidentally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The first 2 lines there I thought you were talking about the police

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

@OP You could try emailing Philip Boucher-Hayes at the RTÉ Radio investigative unit. He's at pbh@rte.ie

This is him: http://www.rte.ie/radio1/investigate/1127045.html

He did that series for RTÉ TV called Buyer Beware!. There's was some really interesting stuff in that and good use made of hidden cameras, tracking devices etc.

I'd email him myself but I've never had any personal dealings with the place on Parnell Street or the one on the North Circular that's mentioned in the IndyMedia article. You could maybe even link to this thread and to the article, but I'd say it'd be better coming from someone who's had some contact with the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

I had only got the bike and didn't even think of taking the serial number down. I have the number of the new bike though as when I rang the insurance company it's the first thing they asked for. And no it's not on the receipt. My own stupidity really for not taking it down when I bought it.

Thanks for the email for the RTE guy I'll give him a shout tomorrow and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

OP - When & where exactly was your bike stolen?
    I was walking down O'Connell st. on friday night at approx. 10.30pm when I heard a loud banging noise, 3 scum broke the lock off a bike and one whizzed down Lower Abbey street on it.

I don't think it was the same bike, but on Monday evening, there were a couple of junkie scum selling a VERY nice and VERY expensive looking bike to another junkie scum right outside the door of Lidl on Moore Street. I couldn't see the make/model on it, but it was dark in color, suspension, disc brakes, it looked very expensive, the seller was demonstrating how light it was. It wasn't a typical commuter bike, looked like it was made for proper mountain biking.

That bike lot is not a shop, it is open very rarely, they also have a line up of Nissan Micra's, why don't the cops bust them, they obviously know everything about the place is stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

So where is the proof that this place is dodgy? It most likely is but people should be careful saying it is full of stolen bikes without proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Relevant wrote: »
    So where is the proof that this place is dodgy? It most likely is but people should be careful saying it is full of stolen bikes without proof.

Because their high-price fancy lawyers might instigate libel proceedings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Relevant wrote: »

The cops send the OP down there to get his stolen bike! And as latenia said, I don't think their legal team will be getting on to us for ruining their good name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

johnson1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the email for the RTE guy I'll give him a shout tomorrow and see how it goes.

Cool - let us know if you hear anything back.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

If you're right and the serials are still on those bikes, then someone should go public with the story - and I mean more public than this forum - because it looks very much like the police are turning a blind eye. And, as a cyclist, that infuriates me.

Anyone know which production company makes Prime Time...?

primetime is RTE made, not a production company. primetime@rte.ie is their generic email for story ideas although this seems a little light without a lot more to back it up.

In its present state it's barely a story at all! It's potentially a good lead - nothing more.
    copacetic wrote: »
    primetime is RTE made, not a production company. primetime@rte.ie is their generic email for story ideas although this seems a little light without a lot more to back it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement